Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleepyhead ?
Sleepyhead ?
I just got my Respironics System 1 BiPAP Pro on Wednesday ( lucky if I've totaled 4 Hrs sleep since then). The Resp. Therapist told me that I should never remove the SD card. I told her that I want to try the Sleepyhead program. She said that it might erase the info on the card before she can download it which would cause me to be in non-compliance for the insurance co. I tried the machine for 10 minutes and looked at it in Sleepyhead - the machine showed that the card had been removed even though I unplugged it before taking the card out and reinserting it.
Will the card info be lost if I look at it on Sleepyhead?
Will the therapist see that the card was removed?
I'd like to beagle to look at it myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleepyhead ?
No, you will not alter the data on the card when you import to SleepyHead.

No, they will not be able to tell if you've removed the card and downloaded the data.

(And even if you somehow manually screwed up the card, like by using Windows to format it, your complicance data is still stored on the machine. You can see it yourself using the on-screen display, and you can you can show it to them to verify compliance.)

Note that you can also see some relevant data just by looking at the machine's on-screen display. With the machine off, rotate the knob from "Therapy" to "info". Push the knob and you can then scroll down and look at various pieces of information. You can see your average AHI, percent time in large leak, and percent time in periodic breathing.

Are you having trouble sleeping with the machine on? Are you using the ramp feature? The bi-flex feature? The humidifier? All these things, along with adjustment of the mask, can make a big difference in comfort and compliance.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2012, 11:19 AM)johns019 Wrote: the machine showed that the card had been removed even though I unplugged it before taking the card out and reinserting it.

What do you mean "the machine showed that the card had been removed?"

The lady at the DME is a liar or a fool. Probably both.

You can take the SD card out and throw it away, and the machine will still have compliance data. All you have to do is stick in another card and the machine will rewrite the compliance data.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2012, 11:59 AM)Sleepster Wrote: No, you will not alter the data on the card when you import to SleepyHead.

No, they will not be able to tell if you've removed the card and downloaded the data.

Note that you can also see some relevant data just by looking at the machine's on-screen display. With the machine off, rotate the knob from "Therapy" to "info". Push the knob and you can then scroll down and look at various pieces of information. You can see your average AHI, percent time in large leak, and percent time in periodic breathing.

Are you having trouble sleeping with the machine on? Are you using the ramp feature? The bi-flex feature? The humidifier? All these things, along with adjustment of the mask, can make a big difference in comfort and compliance.

Thanks - I was hoping she was wrong about it altering the data.
I am having trouble sleeping with the machine on. The therapist said that I couldn't turn the ramp on because my pressures are too low - 10.0 / 4.0.
I did turn the biflex from 2 to 3. The humidifier is on 2. I have the GoLife nasal pillows - the mask is a big part of the problem. It seems that unless I lay on my back just right, I can't get enough air (actually watched Machine and it wasn't switching to 10 from the 4. Maybe the openings on the pillows are pushed up against the inside of my nose , restricting the air flow. Also if I try to sleep on my side, the air flow increases. But then I think it's leaking by. Got up this morning with irritated left eye and stuffy left nostril - which is now running. Lovely.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2012, 12:33 PM)johns019 Wrote: The therapist said that I couldn't turn the ramp on because my pressures are too low - 10.0 / 4.0.

I don't believe it! It's true that the EPAP pressure of 4.0 is too low to ramp, as the ramp starts at 4.0 and builds up to the prescribed pressure. You should be able to ramp the IPAP pressure, starting as low as 4.0 and ramping up to 10.0 over a period of time that you can adjust from 5 minutes up to 30 minutes.

Quote:It seems that unless I lay on my back just right, I can't get enough air (actually watched Machine and it wasn't switching to 10 from the 4.

You have to inhale to get it to switch from the EPAP of 4.0 to the IPAP of 10.0. When you exhale, it should switch back to 4.0. The bi-flex feature actually lowers this further. Being that it's already so low, you might want to experiment with turning the bi-flex off, or lowering it back to 2 or even 1.

Quote:Maybe the openings on the pillows are pushed up against the inside of my nose , restricting the air flow.

That could be. Try loosening the straps. Apply a dab of HPA Lanolin inside each nostril with a q-tip. This will help reduce irritation, increase comfort, and give you a better seal.

Quote:Also if I try to sleep on my side, the air flow increases. But then I think it's leaking by.

It'll increase when you start to inhale. It'll also increase when you get anxious because you're breathing deeper. Try to just relax. Check that the air jetting out of the exhalation port is not hitting your pillow or blanket as this will make noise. Once you relax and get acclimated most of these bothers will subside. It just takes time. Soon you'll be waking in the middle of the night wondering if the machine is on, and you'll have to put your hand in front of the exhalation port, feeling the air jet to confirm it!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2012, 12:11 PM)archangle Wrote:
(06-22-2012, 11:19 AM)johns019 Wrote: the machine showed that the card had been removed even though I unplugged it before taking the card out and reinserting it.

What do you mean "the machine showed that the card had been removed?"

The lady at the DME is a liar or a fool. Probably both.

The machine displayed a message when I plugged it back in. I forget exactly whati it read, but something like "do not remove SD card".
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Respironics system one and the ramp led flashes when you first remove the SD card...eventually it stops flashing.... when you reinsert the SD memory card it displays "Do not remove card writing data"... it completes the data writing cycle and then goes back to normal.

Hope this clears this issue up!
Post Reply Post Reply
My thanks to all of you!!
I'm going to check the ramp feature again and turn the bi-flex to 1.
Also going to look for HPA lanolin - CVS - I hope.
I'm using the medium size pillows - maybe I should try the others to see if they fit better.
The sleep Dr gave me a prescription of ambien before the titration study - he said I might want to use them for the first week to get used to the machine - I'm going to tonight, since I can stay in bed later tomorrow morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2012, 03:48 PM)johns019 Wrote: My thanks to all of you!!

You're welcome.

Quote:I'm going to check the ramp feature again

You'll have to go into the clinician's menu to do that.

Quote:Also going to look for HPA lanolin - CVS - I hope.

Look in the baby aisle. It's marketed as a salve for nursing mothers.

Quote:The sleep Dr gave me a prescription of ambien before the titration study - he said I might want to use them for the first week to get used to the machine - I'm going to tonight, since I can stay in bed later tomorrow morning.

Sleep-well
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2012, 04:51 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
Quote:I'm going to check the ramp feature again

You'll have to go into the clinician's menu to do that.

I looked in the clinician's menu, but didn't see "ramp" - I did see "resistance" - I'll go back and look at that.

Quote:Also going to look for HPA lanolin - CVS - I hope.

Look in the baby aisle. It's marketed as a salve for nursing mothers.

Thank you - that will make it easier to find Smile

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.