Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Slept all night but...
Slept all night but...
Hello fellow "hoseheads." I am new here and was just diagnosed with OSA about 2 weeks ago. I just finished with my titration (4 nights in a row) which was done at home. I can sleep the whole night through (7+ hours) with the mask on and not wake up once but when I wake up, I feel like I have not slept at all. I actually feel worse now than when I had apnea, snored, gasped and choked all night long AND got up 2-3 times to pee. Is this a normal breaking in period or could there be something wrong with the machine? I have not actually gotten my own machine with personal pressure settings yet, it was just the titration that I've done. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Slept all night but...
(08-22-2012, 12:44 PM)Gaspnea Wrote: Hello fellow "hoseheads." I am new here and was just diagnosed with OSA about 2 weeks ago. I just finished with my titration (4 nights in a row) which was done at home. I can sleep the whole night through (7+ hours) with the mask on and not wake up once but when I wake up, I feel like I have not slept at all. I actually feel worse now than when I had apnea, snored, gasped and choked all night long AND got up 2-3 times to pee. Is this a normal breaking in period or could there be something wrong with the machine? I have not actually gotten my own machine with personal pressure settings yet, it was just the titration that I've done.

Our bodies adapt to sleep apnea as best they can. For you this means that your body is now trying to un-adapt to the sleep apnea. This will take a while. It is not unusual for people to start CPAP therapy and feel worse at the start. Some un-adapt fairly quickly, others take longer. For me it was two months before I really started feeling better.

Patience and perseverance are what you need most right now. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
jjj. gave you good advice.

Don't try to push yourself with this CPAP therapy. With diligence you will see much improvement in the future, both mentally and physically.. You may have had apnea for a longer time then you realize. You have to undo a lot of that.

Lets give yourself a couple of weeks with your own machine and at the settings that will be recommended by the study doctor. AND don;t even start thinking about trying to change that setting for a few months.

Learn all you can here and download some (Sleepyhead) software "my reco" and study the results as you improve your health.. Good Luck
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Gasp,

First, welcome! You're about to get a whole bunch of responses from people telling you to stick with it and don't give up! They will all be correct and will likely give you some great basic tips. Sit with your CPAP/Mask while you are awake can help you acclimate. Practice good sleep hygiene (go to bed at the same time, don't drink caffinated beverage or alcohol near bedtime, don't exercise within three hours or sleep, get rid of the TV in your bedroom, etc.), and a bunch of other really good things are coming your way.

By the way, filling out your profile would help greatly. If you don't know your treatment pressure, call your Dr. We're really big on taking control of your own therapy on this board!

The best way to get the best tips from everyone here is to keep posting questions, problems, you name it. Someone here went through it and will help. If nothing else, we'll at least listen.

So sorry you're having issues, but, STICK WITH IT!

Sleep Well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gaspnea, First of all, WELCOME! to the forum.! I want to encourage you to stick with your CPAP therapy. It can take LOTS OF TIME AND PATIENCE.! Keep us posted on your progress and if you have any more questions don't hesitate to post them.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your replies and help! I didn't know there would be an un-adapting phase. I will definitely give this at least a month and also try the nasal mask too. I've been using a full-face mask, which for the most part, I have no problem with until I try to shift to my left side...then I get leak problems. I thought my sleepiness and brain fog were due to middle-aged woman issues. I am sure they don't help matters but I am hoping that fixing the sleep apnea will give me my brain back! The brain fog is horrendous. I have updated my profile as someone suggested and I will definitely keep you all updated on progress. Hopefully I can help someone on here as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2012, 12:44 PM)Gaspnea Wrote: Hello fellow "hoseheads." I am new here and was just diagnosed with OSA about 2 weeks ago. I just finished with my titration (4 nights in a row) which was done at home. I can sleep the whole night through (7+ hours) with the mask on and not wake up once but when I wake up, I feel like I have not slept at all. I actually feel worse now than when I had apnea, snored, gasped and choked all night long AND got up 2-3 times to pee. Is this a normal breaking in period or could there be something wrong with the machine? I have not actually gotten my own machine with personal pressure settings yet, it was just the titration that I've done. Thanks!

Hey Gaspnea Welcome
Hang in there. You say this is just the titration machine so be patient and see what the doc comes up with for you. Then you have to give yourself a chance to get used to it. It does take awhile, I'm not going to tell you differently, and it is definately an area that persistance pays off! You can't use it one night and decide not to the next. You have to keep with it. In the end, I think everyone here who has been doing this awhile will tell you it is worth it! Good luck!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Gaspnea
Welcome to the forum, I have nothing new to tell you I want you to know there are people here that are in the same boat your are, and you will find many that will try there best to help you.hang in there it takes a little time.

A true friend never gets in your way unless you happen to be going down.
Arnold H. Glasow

you will find many friends here
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2012, 04:42 PM)Gaspnea Wrote: The brain fog is horrendous. I have updated my profile as someone suggested and I will definitely keep you all updated on progress. Hopefully I can help someone on here as well.

You'll get lots of help here. When you do get your machine make sure it's a fully data-capable machine. Do not let them give you a "brick" that blows air but doesn't measure your AHI and other stuff you need to know to be able to get effective therapy.

I've been on CPAP therapy for over nine months. Like you, my initial progress was slow. In fact, all my progress has been slow. But it adds up to a huge improvement. I'm still noticing improvements in the way I feel. That constant nagging tiredness is fading away.

It's a good sign that you're able to sleep through the night with the CPAP machine. I predict you'll improve much faster than I did.

It's unusual to start out with a full face mask. Did they do that because you have some issues with your sinuses? Normally a nasal mask is easier to fit, leaks less, and is more comfortable. Sometimes a chinstrap is needed along with the nasal mask to prevent mouth-breathing. If the chinstrap doesn't prevent the mouth-breathing then we have to go to a full face mask.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2012, 04:42 PM)Gaspnea Wrote: Thank you all for your replies and help! I didn't know there would be an un-adapting phase. I will definitely give this at least a month and also try the nasal mask too. I've been using a full-face mask, which for the most part, I have no problem with until I try to shift to my left side...then I get leak problems. I thought my sleepiness and brain fog were due to middle-aged woman issues. I am sure they don't help matters but I am hoping that fixing the sleep apnea will give me my brain back! The brain fog is horrendous. I have updated my profile as someone suggested and I will definitely keep you all updated on progress. Hopefully I can help someone on here as well.

Hi Gasp, and welcome! I still feel like a newbie, but it has been over a month, and I can say this is one roller coaster of a ride until (hopefully) we get the full benefit. I use a nasal mask, and over time have gotten to where it is pretty comfortable and I can sleep on back or either side without leaking (except for the random issues, but easy to fix). I'm jealous that you slept through the night (haven't had the pleasure yet), but know also that I have felt better, then worse, then better, then worse, etc., since I got the mask. Lately I notice I'm sleepier in the a.m, but get a surge of energy by about 3, which is totally atypical for me.

I too thought my issues (and there were many) were due to my age. Hang in there. Do try the nasal mask, but don't expect a miracle at first. It takes some getting used to.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 672 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  First night using APAP. Still slept like garbage. QuirkyTurtle 9 569 12-08-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Slept past noon- Oscar did not import data coolbranch 5 522 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 897 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Please Help!! Haven't slept at all for 2 out of last 3 nights with CPAP JamesD0079 1 492 01-24-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Resmed S9 - overstating hours slept kowlooner 3 570 12-18-2022, 10:48 PM
Last Post: kowlooner

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.