Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medicare rules for oxygen
Medicare rules for oxygen
Education needed on topic of oxygen

Walla Walla wrote this on another thread: Under Medicare rules you qualify for Oxygen at night. 

This begged questions...

What are the qualifications for oxygen? How would a person know? How can you tell on Sleepyhead printouts that you can qualify for oxygen? How can you tell whether not getting enough O2 is because there's not enough available, versus "the supply is limited because of apneas"?

And anything else you have to say about this general issue....

PS I'm awaiting my CPAP, but believe in knowing whys and wherefors....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medicare rules for oxygen
I believe the procedure would be for your Doctor to determine if oxygen therapy is needed.  
If your doctor thought is was necessary, he could submit that information to Medicare for determination.

Usually, once a person is on cpap therapy, their oxygen levels don't drop at night, unless there are other medical issues going on.

The place to start is have a conversation with your doctor after he has reviewed your overnight sleep study.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll answer what I can. This only applies to Medicare. If your oxygen level drops below 88% for 5 or more minutes (non continuous) during the night you qualify for supplemental oxygen at night. You must be measured by a certified third party approved by Medicare. To monitor your oxygen with sleepyhead you need to buy a recording oximeter which you can download into sleepyhead the next morning. As far as CPAP I haven't looked it up in a while I'll try to do that. You could also do that at the Medicare web site.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
May I suggest if you are going to use a "Medicare Rule", please post a link.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is not from Medicare but does explain it well. https://www.unitedhealthcareonline.com/c...CMA_CS.pdf

That's all I have and with that I wish everyone good luck.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2017, 06:21 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: This is not from Medicare but does explain it well.  https://www.unitedhealthcareonline.com/c...CMA_CS.pdf

That's all I have and with that I wish everyone good luck.

Your reference gave me an idea how to find the Medicare specs. Here they are for everyone:

https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Educati...t-Only.pdf

As I read one basic criteria, oxygen would be supplied if your O2 was below 88% for more than 5 minutes while sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
During my sleep study 10 years ago it was found I would need cpap and oxygen. After a few
years I got tired of the copays for the oxygen concentrator so bought one out of pocket. A few
months ago my concentrator started to act up. To get a new perscription for one I had to have
a new sleep study the rational behind that was perhaps if my cpap settings were tweaked I wouldn't
require oxygen. Well I am waiting on the results of my new sleep study I had done last week.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 155 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 682 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 206 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 924 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 872 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 251 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web
  [Admin Note] Rules clarification/addition SuperSleeper 1 470 01-24-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.