Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Slimline Hose vs Standard on S9Autoset
Slimline Hose vs Standard on S9Autoset
Does anyone notice any differences in data when using slimline hose instead of standard?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Slimline Hose vs Standard on S9Autoset
Welcome to the forum
I haven,t used the standard hose. If using the standard hose, adjust the tube setting in the clinical setup or patient setup menu. Also if using full face mask ensure "Full Face" setting is selected.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi grammyD, First of all, WELCOME! to the forum.! I don't know the answer to your question about the data difference (if there is any,) between slimline and standard hose but keep checkin' back as I'm sure someone will be able to answer that for you. Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Bump2
The question might apply also to PRS1 users. PR System One machines uses slim and standard hoses too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2012, 01:23 PM)grammyD Wrote: Does anyone notice any differences in data when using slimline hose instead of standard?

Welcome grammyD!

As long as the correct hose type setting (Slimline or Standard) is selected on the machine, the machine will correctly calculate how much pressure is dropped (or lost) across the hose, so it will be able to make sure the pressure reaching the mask (and you) is correct.

If someone is using a standard hose but the machine is mistakenly set for Slimline type, the difference will usually be small and negligible, EXCEPT when the flow is large, such as when a large Leak is occuring, in which case the machine would over-estimate how much pressure is being dropped in the hose, so the machine would end up delivering too much pressure to the mask (delivering more pressure than it reports is reaching the mask).

Similarly, if someone is using a Slimline hose but the machine is mistakenly set for Standard type, the difference will usually be small and negligible, EXCEPT when the flow is large, such as when a large Leak is occuring, in which case the machine would under-estimate how much pressure is being dropped in the hose, so the machine would end up delivering too little pressure to the mask (delivering less pressure than it reports is reaching the mask).

Similarly, if someone is using a 3 meter long standard hose but the machine is mistakenly set for (2 meter long) Standard type, the difference will usually be small and negligible, EXCEPT when the flow is large, such as when a large Leak is occuring, in which case the machine would under-estimate how much pressure is being dropped in the hose, so the machine would end up delivering too little pressure to the mask (delivering less pressure than it reports is reaching the mask).

All this is less important when using an S9 AutoSet machine, since the machine is monitoring your breathing and will automatically increase or decrease the pressure as much as needed (within the limits for min and max pressure) to help avoid obstructive apnea events, even under moderate leaks.

And as long as the correct mask type (full face, or whatever) and hose type settings are used, the machine will accurately report the amount of unintentional Leak, if any.

Take care.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see why so many people have the hots for a slimline hose anyway. Sounds to me like high priced optional "go faster" stripes on a new car.

I'd expect things to be better with a standard hose.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2012, 11:54 PM)archangle Wrote: I don't see why so many people have the hots for a slimline hose anyway. Sounds to me like high priced optional "go faster" stripes on a new car.

I tried one at a DME office. It's more flexible and more comfortable. Sadly, my PRS1 is too old and doesn't have the slimline hose option.
Post Reply Post Reply
The climateline is few cm,s longer than the slimline hose.
How long is the standard hose?
Post Reply Post Reply
I did switch from standard to slim hose on my machine, it is not an S9 though it is a Respironics. I changed the setting in the panel and I noticed no change in my numbers at all.
To answer the question from Archangel, the mask I use is so light weight and the headgear so minimal I was having issues with the weight of the hose dragging it off my face, or just breaking the seal, when I would move too much. I was trying to get something lighter to hopefully minimize this issue. It did work and while I do still have the problem once in awhile, it is far less frequent. The hose was something like $14.00 so definitely not a high-priced racing stripe!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 235 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,288 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 638 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Resmed A11 Autoset - Set to standard time? foss 2 499 11-07-2023, 05:48 AM
Last Post: multicast

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.