Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

international Journal of Obeasity Clinical Trial
international Journal of Obeasity Clinical Trial
Abstract
Effect of liraglutide 3.0 mg in individuals with obesity and moderate or severe obstructive sleep apnea: The SCALE Sleep Apnea randomized clinical trial

BACKGROUND: Obesity is strongly associated with prevalence of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), and weight loss has been shown to reduce disease severity.

OBJECTIVE: To investigate whether liraglutide 3.0 mg reduces OSA severity compared to placebo using the primary endpoint of change in apnea–hypopnea index (AHI) after 32 weeks. Liraglutide’s weight loss efficacy was also examined.

SUBJECTS/METHODS: In this randomized, double-blind trial, non-diabetic participants with obesity who had moderate (AHI 15–29.9 events/h) or severe (AHI greater than or equal to30 events/h) OSA and were unwilling/unable to use continuous positive airway pressure therapy were randomized for 32 weeks to liraglutide 3.0 mg (n=180) or placebo (n=179), both as adjunct to diet (500 kcal/day deficit) and exercise. Baseline characteristics were similar between groups (mean age 48.5 years, males 71.9%, AHI 49.2 events/h, severe OSA 67.1%, body weight 117.6 kg, BMI 39.1 kg/m2, prediabetes 63.2%, HbA1c 5.7%).

RESULTS: After 32 weeks, the mean reduction in AHI was greater with liraglutide than with placebo (−12.2 vs −6.1 events/h, estimated treatment difference [ETD]: −6.1 events/h [95% CI, −11.0 to −1.2], P=0.0150). Liraglutide produced greater mean percentage weight loss compared with placebo (−5.7 vs −1.6%, ETD: −4.2% [95% CI, −5.2 to −3.1%], P<0.0001). A statistically significant association between the degree of weight loss and improvement in OSA endpoints (P<0.01, all) was demonstrated post hoc. Greater reductions in glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) and systolic blood pressure (SBP) were seen with liraglutide versus placebo (both P<0.001). The safety profile of liraglutide 3.0 mg was similar to that seen with doses less than or equal to1.8 mg.

CONCLUSION: As an adjunct to diet and exercise, liraglutide 3.0 mg was generally well-tolerated and produced significantly greater reductions than placebo in AHI, body weight, SBP and HbA1c in participants with obesity and moderate/severe OSA. The results confirm that weight loss improves OSA-related parameters.

1Toronto Sleep Institute, MedSleep and University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
2School of Medicine, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
3Clinilabs and Sleep Disorders Institute, New York, NY, USA
4NeuroTrials Research, Atlanta, GA, USA
5Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY, USA
6Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, PA, USA
7Novo Nordisk A/S, Søborg, Denmark
8School of Medicine, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, USA

Correspondence: Dr A Blackman, MedSleep, Toronto Sleep Insitute, 586 Eglinton Avenue East, Suite 208, Toronto, Ontario M4P 1P2, Canada. E-mail: adamb@medsleep.com

9A complete list of investigators in the Satiety and Clinical Adiposity—Liraglutide Evidence in non-diabetic and diabetic individuals (SCALE) study group is provided in the Online-Only Supplement

A Blackman1, G D Foster2, G Zammit3, R Rosenberg4, L Aronne5, T Wadden6, B Claudius7, C B Jensen7 and E Mignot8 on behalf of the SCALE study group

Received 7 August 2015; Revised 25 February 2016; Accepted 4 March 2016
Accepted article preview online 23 March 2016

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: international Journal of Obeasity Clinical Trial
I don't like seeing drugs "advertised" on this site. Just my personal opinion.
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2016, 02:56 PM)Inspired Wrote: I don't like seeing drugs "advertised" on this site. Just my personal opinion.

I mostly agree, I am sure it was posted with good intentions, but I mostly agree with you.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
These patients were very morbidly obese BMI 39.1 kg/m2, and the intervention group "improved" from severe OSA AHI 49.2 to still severe OSA AHI 37. So any readers should not get a take-home message to ditch the CPAP!

Also given the population was morbidly obese, I wonder whether they excluded obesity hypoventillation syndrome which does get better with weight loss, and, as always the bugbear of weight-loss - how long will the weight stay off?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,238 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  [Admin Note] Wanted: ResMed AirCurve 11 Clinical Guides (Clinician Manuals) SuperSleeper 1 318 03-01-2024, 09:14 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Felt like I was suffocating last night! Changed too many Clinical Settings at once. JoshuaApneaProblems 3 394 01-17-2024, 05:56 AM
Last Post: Muggzy
  Adapter Plugs for International Travel TiredOne789 6 1,042 10-09-2023, 07:46 PM
Last Post: taylorgtr
  CPAP trial - Improvements but exhausted still prairiesleeper 7 533 10-02-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  CPAP DreamStation CPAP Pro con Auto-Trial AirSense 10 AutoSet cybor 0 621 09-09-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: cybor
  Please explain airsense term on clinical settings rebean 2 524 08-11-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: rebean

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.