Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Smart Watches/devices
RE: Smart Watches/devices
I have a whoop its interesting data but I don't use it for sleep and it does not track SPO2

Post Reply Post Reply
Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 and Active 2 can measure sleep, heart rate, ECG, and blood pressure. The last 2 are not approved in Canada but there are ways around it (have them all on my Active2 -- there are Youtube videos showing you how to sideload the apps).
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the interesting information on these devices! 
I see that they can provide lots of data.
My question: assuming I get one of them - what do I do with the data? 

If I've had a crappy night, I don't need the device to tell me. Ditto if I (occasionally) wake up refreshed.
Usually, if I manage to get through the night without waking up more than once, I feel more or less rested in the morning - and the AHI is low. (A low AHI does not necessarily mean that I've had a good night. On the other hand, if I have a high AHI, I always feel exhausted in the morning.)

How will the data from the watch help me improve my sleep quality?

(Thank you all for your patience!)
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2020, 05:00 AM)Benzi Wrote: Thank you all for the interesting information on these devices! 
I see that they can provide lots of data.
My question: assuming I get one of them - what do I do with the data? 

If I've had a crappy night, I don't need the device to tell me. Ditto if I (occasionally) wake up refreshed.
Usually, if I manage to get through the night without waking up more than once, I feel more or less rested in the morning - and the AHI is low. (A low AHI does not necessarily mean that I've had a good night. On the other hand, if I have a high AHI, I always feel exhausted in the morning.)

How will the data from the watch help me improve my sleep quality?

(Thank you all for your patience!)

Best use for my Garmin watch is it helps me manage my sleep time.  It clearly shows when I went to sleep, when I woke up, and if I woke up in between.  Last night I went to bed later than usual. I didn't get enough sleep.  AND I woke up during  the night, without a mask-off. I had no idea. Tonight I'll do better. I'll even go to bed early.
For me the Garmin Vivoactive HR helps me improve sleep quality. I like that.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses! My head is spinning at looking at all the choices. Hubby got a great Black Friday deal on a Whoop strap which is supposedly really good for sleep stats and worth looking into. (doesn't have spo2 but I think I'm just going to get a dedicated finger one since the watches seem to, generally, fall short in this department.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Dang.....all my watch does is tell me the time and the date.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2020, 05:51 PM)Big Guy Wrote: Dang.....all my watch does is tell me the time and the date.  Dont-know

Well, that's really old school.  I gave up on watches altogether after busting my Apple watch in the swimming pool, and now I sound like an old recording of Chicago, "Does Anyone Really know What Time It Is"?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Wenger (Swiss Army) watch. It's been a great watch. Accurate as can be and can take a beating. Paid about $75.00 for it several years ago.

Saw an ad recently (can't recall from where) and they had a Rolex on "sale". It was only $13,500.00. It looked a lot like my Wenger watch. 

Betcha ya that Rolex doesn't keep time any better than mine.  Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I love the Apple Watch. A year or so ago my watch warned me of a very low heart rate (30 BPM) while sleeping and my doctor lowered my blood pressure medicine dosage. I would never have known otherwise.

My Apple Watch series 6 seems fairly accurate in measuring blood oxygen. I wear it at night to keep a check on my O2 levels and it takes readings periodically I assume when my arm is flat and still. During the day I have to make a concentrated effort to place my arm on a flat surface and keep it perfectly still to get a measurement. I am following up with my sleep doctor due to low O2 measurements during sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2020, 12:31 PM)Mercergirl Wrote: I love the Apple Watch. A year or so ago my watch warned me of a very low heart rate (30 BPM) while sleeping and my doctor lowered my blood pressure medicine dosage. I would never have known otherwise.

My Apple Watch series 6 seems fairly accurate in measuring blood oxygen. I wear it at night to keep a check on my O2 levels and it takes readings periodically I assume when my arm is flat and still. During the day I have to make a concentrated effort to place my arm on a flat surface and keep it perfectly still to get a measurement. I am following up with my sleep doctor due to low O2 measurements during sleep.

I feel the same. In fact my watch recently saved me from a much more serious event. After I had a traumatic surgery, the day afterwards my body went into minor afib, which I could not feel at all, but my watch immediately gave me an alert through the EKG function. My cardiologist immediately asked me to come in, which I did , and found it was truly afib and I needed a electroshock to put my heart back in sync. He told me that if I would’ve waited another day or two I could’ve developed clots which would’ve been extremely serious. The Apple Watch saved me from a major problem.

I’ve read on many forums where the medical profession is down on Feedback instruments like any of the watches, but I have not found that to be the case at all. My major hospital in Fort Lauderdale is all for these devices, and my cardiologist recommends them to everyone over the age of 60.
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,818 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,003 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,462 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 538 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
  [Equipment] Philips Replacement Devices - No PREHEAT or AUTO-OFF malabarflash 0 230 01-27-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: malabarflash

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.