Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Smart Watches/devices
RE: Smart Watches/devices
Wow. What an experience. Which watch do you have?
Post Reply Post Reply
Apple Watch 6
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Oura and the Fitbit Sense. They aliegn almost lock step which was not the case with prior versions of the Fitbit. 

The Oura has been put up against PSG and does really well. Both use many metrics to register sleep stages. The one I haven’t heard mentioned here is HRV.....worth a read if you’ve never heard of the concept.

I also use a Wellue O2 ring. Best device I’ve ever bought. If you think CPAP in anyway is not giving you the results you’re expecting, get one of these. The biggest lesson for me is that even with a sub 1 AHI my O2 chart can still look like garbage with desaturations bellow 90 for 40-50 minutes at a time. Yet this would be considered treated by most Sleep Doctors. The answer to the question you’re thinking was positionally induced flow limitations. Set the flags right in OSCAR and you’ll see. Added a soft cervical collar and charts look like a flatline now. Would have never known without the Wellue O2 ring.

Deep sleep doubled and I feel the best I have ever felt as a result. If you can afford the technology than get some. Might also change your mind on drinking close to bedtime!

Hope this helps.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2020, 12:31 PM)Mercergirl Wrote: I love the Apple Watch. A year or so ago my watch warned me of a very low heart rate (30 BPM) while sleeping and my doctor lowered my blood pressure medicine dosage. I would never have known otherwise.

My Apple Watch series 6 seems fairly accurate in measuring blood oxygen. I wear it at night to keep a check on my O2 levels and it takes readings periodically I assume when my arm is flat and still. During the day I have to make a concentrated effort to place my arm on a flat surface and keep it perfectly still to get a measurement. I am following up with my sleep doctor due to low O2 measurements during sleep.

Thanks for your post 
Interesting....my resting heart rate seems low.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I found this YouTube video to be an interesting comparison of Garmin sleep technology, and how the data compares to true EEG data.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found out I have apnea after my husband gave me a Garmin Lily for Valentine's Day this year.
Nights have been a nightmare for years and I blamed it all on autoimmune issues. The Lily showed me going down into the 70's, which needless to say, was a shocker!

There is a device called a Wellue Ring, which tracks apneas and gives a detailed report of how many times per hour and 3%/4%. It's been very handy, I was able to print it out and take it to the doc - and although the two devices don't match exactly, between the two of them I was able to tell there definitely was an issue, and am now waiting for my CPAP!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2021, 01:15 AM)ADS7 Wrote: I found out I have apnea after my husband gave me a Garmin Lily for Valentine's Day this year.

... although the two devices don't match exactly, between the two of them I was able to tell there definitely was an issue, and am now waiting for my CPAP!

WOW!  Way to go!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2020, 08:24 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I have a Wenger (Swiss Army) watch. It's been a great watch. Accurate as can be and can take a beating. Paid about $75.00 for it several years ago.

I start off off-topic here with a grin and another plug for  a plain old Wenger SA watch.

Ditto, Big Guy , except I bought the Wenger I'm wearing, and have worn the most,  in the mid 80's--Seiko, Citizen watches being down occasionally, the Citizen again now, not to mention a Casio and Timex or two. That Wenger has seen a lot of abuse, grime and sweat when trouble shooting ag equipment in hot California summers and falls. It has its original double-toggling metal band, a second hand and a long ignored, seldom re set and mostly wrong--my fault--day of month feature.

Closer to this thread's interesting topic:

For visible  HR, SpO2, PI, and a crude pleth, in real time, I have a wrist worn Contec CMS50I. It samples every second, has its proprietary graphic and stats presentations and it routinely downloads a CSV file (check to be sure it is not written in Chinese? ideographs, as one of my updates snuck in).  OSCAR uses another of its 3 data formats, I think, when it  imports from the 50I. It will record and hold up to about 60 hours, total, in as many as my 9 successive sessions.  

My first one's nonreplaceable battery failed near the 2-year mark. The second one has been working fine about 3  years. A warning can be set, but that's lost to my poor hearing and, anyway, I have few deep sats and artifacts; those are very brief.

My uses of 50I output? I glance at how it correlates with flow rate and motion disturbances, and note the durations of drops and the nightly average. I wouldn't miss it much if it quit now (accelerometers supplanted its little help). Desperate with high AHI and long OA's I got a 50I shortly after I began APAP. 

For about the same money as a 50I, I found the Gulf Data Concepts 3-axis accelerometers, a X-16?xxx and a X2?xxxx, much more helpful when worn at  either my forehead (early on) or (long time) against lumbar spine at L-3 level near my center of gravity. I've fiddled with one on a foot, the other on my forehead, too. Their data give sleep position and "seismic intensity" scale info OSCAR can present after it's been converted through my Excel spread sheet. My opinion is that OSA and UARS sufferers should see and know their sleep positions vs their perceived sleep quality and AHI (possibly SpO2 as well), but this is seldom mentioned and mostly overlooked. Others may disagree, but accelerometers may catch on as cervical collars have, reflecting their helpfulness.

The 50I has agreed closely when checked against  HR and SpO2 readings of MDs' (cheap) all-patient-intake screening devices. Its readings require being still. Battery charge currently will last between 16-24 hrs and longer when new. I tend to forget it and over charge it. I believe that shortens battery life.
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
2SleepBetta thanks for your post.

My Garmin Vivoactive HR is barely helpful. I don't know anything about sleep position.
However, I don't have many choices. Broke my left shoulder a few years ago. Still don't sleep on it. So it's either right side or on my back, and that's it.

You've given me something to think about.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Hydrangea,

Help please---what youtube video?

I have a Garmin watch that's getting long in the tooth. I bought it because it displays heart rate and gives me a sleep report. However, if it's no good I'll throw it away.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 55 4,891 Yesterday, 02:12 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Prisma Smart Max Revvysue 4 117 04-15-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Revvysue
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 518 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,201 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,716 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 248 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 592 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.