Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Smart Watches/devices
RE: Smart Watches/devices
(11-22-2020, 11:29 PM)cpaper101 Wrote: I have the Garmin Fenix 6 Pro with wrist HR and Pulse Ox. I run Pulse Ox only at night and I believe it is accurate within 2-5% 

Hi cpaper101, what sample interval do you get for HR and SpO2 with these devices?
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe HR is taken every 1-2 seconds however when looking at graphs within garmin connect it only shows the 1 minute HR EXCEPT if you have an activity and view that activity.

I believe Spo2 is once a minute or so (a red light around the sensor turns on when it does these readings).

I have pulse-ox only enabled for sleep. You can set high and low HR warnings your watch will start beeping at you if it detects high or low HR if you have been sitting still for a period of time.

Some pictures of garmin connect from my last day. I did wake up just after my second to last REM but kept pretty still in the hope I would go back to sleep so it didn't seem to detect I had woken up.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Forgive the ignorance, but what kinds of sleep data do these types of devices provide? How useful is it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Benzi I use my Garmin watch every day. Best use for me? Making sure I get enough sleep. My watch tells me how long. It's never as long as I think it was....and that helps me.
It also allows me to trend...When I had my old cpap machine I used to be lucky to get 30 minutes of deep sleep. Now that I'm using my apap equipment set up with help here, I usually get over 2 hours of deep sleep. AND more sometimes! When it's less than that I look to see what's changed...

I've been encouraged here not to obsess about numbers. I've found my simple watch to be a very useful tool that helps me get enough good sleep.

edit: these darn things cost so much money! I'm following here because my Garmin Vivoactive HR watch is getting really old. But it's battery lasts a long time, and the darn thing is paid for!
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2020, 11:11 AM)DaveL Wrote: Benzi I use my Garmin watch every day.  Best use for me?  Making sure I get enough sleep.  My watch tells me how long. It's never as long as I think it was....and that helps me.
It also allows me to trend...When I had my old cpap machine I used to be lucky to get 30 minutes of deep sleep.  Now that I'm using my apap equipment set up with help here, I usually get over 2 hours of deep sleep.  AND more sometimes! When it's less than that I look to see what's changed...

I've been encouraged here not to obsess about numbers.  I've found my simple watch to be a very useful tool that helps me get enough good sleep.

edit:  these darn things cost so much money!  I'm following here because my Garmin Vivoactive HR watch is getting really old. But it's battery lasts a long time, and the darn thing is paid for!

Hey Dave

Thanks for responding.

How does it know when your sleep is deep?
Post Reply Post Reply
Unsure how Garmin do calculations on sleep exactly I think the data is sent to some servers and they make all of these calculations somehow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting comments here.....

Initially when I spoke to my Doctor about my sleep and O2 and mentioned Apple Watches - they completely shrugged it off and don't recognise it.  Even where I said I could see a change since CPAP on my Apple Watch.  His response was sorry an Apple Watch isn't going to tell you about sleep or any value than Gimmick.

Oddly still think the watch is fairly aligned to my patterns....but yeah so much distain from doctors or medical profession on these in general.  Is this the same anywhere else outside of Australia.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2020, 08:53 PM)Mjmcd Wrote: Interesting comments here.....

Initially when I spoke to my Doctor about my sleep and O2 and mentioned Apple Watches - they completely shrugged it off and don't recognise it.  Even where I said I could see a change since CPAP on my Apple Watch.  His response was sorry an Apple Watch isn't going to tell you about sleep or any value than Gimmick.

Oddly still think the watch is fairly aligned to my patterns....but yeah so much distain from doctors or medical profession on these in general.  Is this the same anywhere else outside of Australia.

My hospital, pulmonologist, cardiologist and general practitioner all think the Apple Watch is great. They really recommend it to anybody that they deal with. Hospital is holy Cross Hospital in Fort Lauderdale Florida , the largest of the area.
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply
Before I got my watch I used to sit my phone next to my bed with some app that recorded sleep and it was pretty accurate at detecting that I was at least awake. It did list sleep stages but no idea how accurate this part was. I still use it as an alarm to wake me up I should see if the graphs match my garmin somewhat. (edit have attached the 2 graphs)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
If anyone is wanting one of these devices, several Apple and Fitbit watch models are in the Black Friday offering.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 55 4,891 Yesterday, 02:12 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Prisma Smart Max Revvysue 4 117 04-15-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Revvysue
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 518 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,201 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,716 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 248 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 592 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.