Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Smart Watches/devices
RE: Smart Watches/devices
Main thing that makes me unhappy about apple and fitbit is the battery life, and build quality is rubbish (for my requirements).. Then again I was running 100km+ a week on very harsh terrain so they didn't fit my requirements at all. I get 14+ days on my garmin and 30+ on my suunto (but my suunto doesn't have wrist HR etc).

Only one I would be cautious of is the new Fitbit Sense.. reports of HR being up to 20bpm out (They put a new HR sensor in the sense they had never used before) and a host of other issues (so much data but no proper guidance on what to do with any of the data). I enjoy watching DCRainmaker when it comes to fitness and sports watches.
Post Reply Post Reply
"...so much distain from doctors or medical profession on these in general. Is this the same anywhere else outside of Australia."

doctors are human and many are resistant to change and perceived interlopers. in the mid 1990's my kids' orthodontist was treating apnea patients (including me) with mandible advancement devices he made. he told me the medical community threatened his license, nearly running him out of town, complaining this was a medical issue, outside the purview of dentists and orthodontists.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a nurse tell me she could more accurately get my heart rate than my watch in 15 seconds holding my wrist.. I just laughed at her and said I have years of 1-2s HR data sure you can.. meanwhile my doc thinks it is amazing.. I think some are just resistant to technology and/or change. It doesn't mean it is all good though.
Post Reply Post Reply
But how does the watch detect deep sleep? Is it based on heart rate? Movement? And what can I do with the knowledge?
Post Reply Post Reply
According to Garmins implementation, it is called "Advanced Sleep Monitoring". On the page it states:
By leveraging the optical heart rate sensor on the device, we can now measure Heart Rate Variability (the time measured between each heartbeat) which combined with the accelerometer allows us to determine when you fall asleep, when you wake up, and what level of sleep you are in.

I guess you could use the data to figure out if you are potentially getting enough time in each of the sleep cycles etc, and should be "theoretically" rested.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your smart watch has motion-sensing engineering. When we are awake, we're constantly in motion.  You may have your hand resting on an armchair's rest, but you are still moving, and you're heart rate will be a few BPM above the typical sleep rate.  These watches compute averages, and each of us has his/her unique/typical 'average' resting heartbeat, and we do the same for sleep.  When we are restless and still settling in as we commence sleeping, the devices record shifts in rates of motion and BPM.  The averages will let the software decide when you are drifting off, but still somewhat alert, and then later when you cascade down through levels of sleep.  

My Samsung Gear S2 shows a series of crests and valleys for my night's rest.  The crests are in light blue, the valleys are dark blue.  The descriptors are 'restless' and 'motionless' when I look at the graphic.  Crests and valleys are thin or stretched out, depending on duration.  Also, I get an efficiency score, typically between 91 and 96% for me.  There is face validity because I know full well when I have had a somewhat crappier night than average, and the efficiency rating duly reports 91% vice 96%.

What you are expected to do is to mate the way you feel, your recollection of how the night went, and what your scores tell you.  If they are consonant, and mine generally are, you will develop confidence in your watch, but also in your daily OSCAR reports and what the leakage, flow restrictions, and other metrics suggest makes for a good night and a poor night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2020, 09:22 PM)cpaper101 Wrote: Main thing that makes me unhappy about apple and fitbit is the battery life, and build quality is rubbish (for my requirements).. Then again I was running 100km+ a week on very harsh terrain so they didn't fit my requirements at all. I get 14+ days on my garmin and 30+ on my suunto (but my suunto doesn't have wrist HR etc).

Only one I would be cautious of is the new Fitbit Sense.. reports of HR being up to 20bpm out (They put a new HR sensor in the sense they had never used before) and a host of other issues (so much data but no proper guidance on what to do with any of the data). I enjoy watching DCRainmaker when it comes to fitness and sports watches.

I see why you have that watch!

I checked it out and it just costs a lot for me.  I'm glad you found a watch that meets your needs.

My Garmin Vivoactive HR is old; it's tried my patience from time to time. However, I'm still using it.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2020, 04:15 PM)DaveL Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 09:22 PM)cpaper101 Wrote: Main thing that makes me unhappy about apple and fitbit is the battery life, and build quality is rubbish (for my requirements).. Then again I was running 100km+ a week on very harsh terrain so they didn't fit my requirements at all. I get 14+ days on my garmin and 30+ on my suunto (but my suunto doesn't have wrist HR etc).

I checked it out and it just costs a lot for me.  I'm glad you found a watch that meets your needs.

My Garmin Vivoactive HR is old; it's tried my patience from time to time. However, I'm still using it.

Really is a great watch I love it. I managed to pick it up on sale and saved a few hundred dollars.

If it works and does what you need probably no reason to replace it. Unless you wanted to for some reason. My old Suunto survived me falling over running multiple times and even rolling down a hill completely intact. I keep it as a spare if I ever need to do something that might involve me being away from civilization for an extended period because the battery and GPS last so long.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2020, 08:46 PM)cpaper101 Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 04:15 PM)DaveL Wrote:

Really is a great watch I love it. I managed to pick it up on sale and saved a few hundred dollars.

If it works and does what you need probably no reason to replace it. Unless you wanted to for some reason. My old Suunto survived me falling over running multiple times and even rolling down a hill completely intact. I keep it as a spare if I ever need to do something that might involve me being away from civilization for an extended period because the battery and GPS last so long.

Thanks!  I like the sleep report on my watch.  I'll keep it going as long as I can. Photography seems to eat away at my wallet and contents....
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I know that if I get less then three hours of REM and deep sleep per Garmin, I have had a bad night.  This is pretty consistent before and after CPAP.

If you do not need the latest, you can pickup a Garmin Vivoactive 3 for about $100-120.  You will get 90% or more of the same benefits as a Vivoactive 4.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prisma Smart Max Revvysue 4 107 Yesterday, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Revvysue
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 54 4,811 04-11-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: TimaaaaaaaahRocks
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 513 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,176 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,706 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 246 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 583 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.