Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SmartStart
SmartStart
This is my first post!  My SmartStart will start when I breathe into it but once I take it off it will not STOP, what am I doing wrong?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SmartStart
(04-10-2022, 06:50 PM)jackiejoe55 Wrote: This is my first post!  My SmartStart will start when I breathe into it but once I take it off it will not STOP, what am I doing wrong?

I think some machines have a SmartStart and a SmartStop. Don't know if yours does but that might be it.

Edit: Ok...it only has SmartStart so it should be stopping a few seconds after you take off the mask. Forget I said anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
My AS10 takes about 5 seconds to shut off, but I always use the top button to stop it running so that I don't get a 5 second large leak which would mess up my leak statistics. Big Grin
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used smarstart for years. It doesn't always stop automatically. I doubt your doing anything wrong
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Reading about the same problem in a different forum someone suggested taking your filter out and putting it back in...or replacing it if it's dirty...fixed the same issue for them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll try changing the filter too and see if that does it.  It was doing it in the past and I don't remember if I unplugged the machine to move it or what but now it is
not doing it!  I'll try the filter and thanks everyone for the responses!
Post Reply Post Reply
SmartStart doesn't reliably work with some pressures and nasal pillow sizes.

For example, some small or extra-small nasal pillows may still provide enough back pressure for SmartStart to not detect that a person is  attached.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the smart start feature and it shuts off within 5-10 seconds of removing my mask.
I use the P10 nasal pillow.

Not to be confused with the cool down feature, which runs for a lot longer.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11: SmartStart is Off, but Airsense keeps turning on by itself kklein 4 3,489 03-09-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: kklein
Question [Equipment] SmartStart not starting and "Tube blocked" error fasantana 11 2,211 10-21-2020, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Looking for Thoughts on Smartstart Ticman1 12 2,777 05-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Last Post: sptrout
  AirCurve 10 / AirSense 10: Leak Alert and SmartStart are mutually exclusive SuperSleeper 0 5,033 08-01-2016, 08:39 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Equipment] SmartStart on ResMed S9 Elite BarryM 3 2,753 06-13-2016, 04:57 PM
Last Post: zonk
  SmartStart function Peteamy 6 6,360 10-20-2015, 06:46 AM
Last Post: Peteamy
  S9 - Smartstart not so smart (and not starting) DeepBreathing 3 2,695 12-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.