Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Smartphone oximeter, anyone tried it?
Question 
Smartphone oximeter, anyone tried it?
Apparently it runs on either android or apple, most smartphones. There are apps for it on Google play store as well as the Apple version somewhere.

Not sure if I can post a link to their website, but you can find it online under the name

iOximeter.

It costs more than the CMS50D+. But I'm considering it because it looks like its a lot easier to set up and use.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Smartphone oximeter, anyone tried it?
Looks interesting but it seems to be for spot readings, not for overnight recording. Well, maybe it records. Just reading the "summary" info. Hard to tell, really. They are selling how beautiful the screen looks more than what it actually does.

And by the way, you did the right thing with just saying "Google this product".
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it records. Onto the smartphone. It looks like it has a mini plug that goes into the audio or headphone slot of the phone.

Since I tend to move around a lot when sleeping, I think I could clip the phone to my nightshirt and not worry about whether the oximeter stays connected to the PAP machine.

And then try the "sock over the hand" trick for keeping the finger probe on. Not every night, though! Just often enough to see what's happening with my O2 levels.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you try it, I'd love to know how it worked. Instead of pinning the phone to your shirt, just tuck it under the mattress if the cord is long enough. That's what I do when I listen to music to fall asleep. That way if I roll over and pull too far, it won't fall.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
The only one with a good probe is the one made by masimo. All others are cheap generic ones.

And there are 2 issues:
1) you need it plugged in to the iPhone for the whole duration.
2) you need the power cord plugged in to the iPhone as well during this otherwise your battery may die. This is a bigger concern with a battery with multiple cycles under its belt.

Now how exactly do you plan to do both at the same time.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
The Masimo is only for the iPhone but this one works with Android as well. I like a company that can do both and not limit their product to just one OS.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I couldn't resist ordering one. I also but in my order for the BP device/App due in November. I noticed that their address is in a business incubator located near Georgia Tech. Banana
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2015, 01:27 AM)AshSF Wrote: The only one with a good probe is the one made by masimo. All others are cheap generic ones.

And there are 2 issues:
1) you need it plugged in to the iPhone for the whole duration.
2) you need the power cord plugged in to the iPhone as well during this otherwise your battery may die. This is a bigger concern with a battery with multiple cycles under its belt.

Now how exactly do you plan to do both at the same time.

My Galaxy S3, if it's charged up at least to 85%, runs quite well all night with bluetooth music speaker playing Amazon prime radio or other radio steaming programs. Prefer Amazon because absolutely no ads or station promos. There's a meditation music channel for sleeping.

Or, I could use my Samsung tablet for the music, and the phone for the oxi, and I think I'd be fine. The oxi appears to plug into the headphone jack on the phone, not the USB charging point. So I think I could do both, if I stayed still enough. Likely I'd run the Oxi off the battery, though. Or off the Android tablet. I know, I know, I was deprived of toys when I was a kid. Making up for that now! Cool

Post Reply Post Reply
I saw that BP meter but I have the wonderful Omron 10+. It's got a lot of bells and whistles!

I am looking forward to hearing how this thing works! I would get it too but money is a wee bit tight right now. Kinda jealous now. LOL
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Update
I just received the oximeter. There are 2 programs for it. The older one is named "iOximeter", released 10-10-14, and the newer one named "iOX", released 4-4-15. The finger probe plugs into the headphone port and works like a champ!(with exceptions noted below) This will work on an iPhone5 or higher, iPad with iOS 6.6 or higher, and certain Android phones with version 4.0 and up.

Here is a listing of Android phones:
Working Models:
Samsung Galaxy S2
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
Samsung Note 1
Samsung Note 2
Samsung Note 3
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" GTP-3113
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10"
Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
HTC One
HTC One Mini
HTC Desire 601
HTC EVO 4G LTE
Google Nexus 10

MODELS CURRENTLY NOT COMPATIBLE:
Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4g
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G2
LG Optimus F6 ( D500 )
LG Optimus
LG ENACT
LG Lucid 2
Google Nexus 3
Google Nexus 4
Google Nexus 5
Google Nexus 6
Google Nexus 7
Sony Xperia Z
Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX
Motorola Droid RAZR
Motorola Droid Bionic
Motorola XOOM
Motorola X
Motorola XT875
HTC MyTouch 4g
ASUS Transformer
Kindle Fire

TESTING NEEDED:
Kindle Fire HD
Kindle Fire HDX
HTC One M8

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 17 1,468 04-13-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Best Oximeter Device to use w OSCAR Abletree 17 4,038 04-04-2024, 01:37 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 136 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 183 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 247 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 759 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Is there a pulse oximeter that bluetooths to the Air11? cathyf 2 904 12-19-2023, 01:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.