Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Smell possibly coming from my Resmed Airsense 10
Smell possibly coming from my Resmed Airsense 10
y wife tells me she can smell a odor of some plastic being hot. She thinks it comes from my ACPAP machine. She sleeps in another room. I smell nothing other than when I awaken and remove the Humidifier the bottom of that container is very warm. Is there a problem developing that I should be aware of?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Smell possibly coming from my Resmed Airsense 10
Is the water tank running dry? If so, that will cause a plastic-like odor.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I will check it. I do refill it with Spring Water each evening before retiring. BUT maybe not to the correct level. I will check it carefully tonight and report back to you tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do not overfill or water will shoot down the hose at you.
There was a bad batch of tanks that got into the supply chain that leaked.

I think the more important check is how much water is left in the morning.
I do not think the bottom of the tank should be "very warm." It is intended to get slightly warm.
Very warm is suggestive of a dry tank.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Normbc9,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your tip. I too will watch what I'm doing as I load the Humidifier tank. I'll give you a note tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
fill to the green line, not the red.

[Image: IMG-20150517-00106.jpg]

I rarely use more than half my tank each night at a setting of 4 with the standard line so I normally fill to the yellow line.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I use bottled distilled water, fill to the max line and refill every other day. I'll clean the tank on a round tuit basis, but the system stays pretty clean.

I notice a faint "hot plastic" smell after I wake up, but 1) not when I'm using the machine, and 2) not clear if it's the humidifier or the outside of my heated hose (which has a shroud). Doesn't seem as bad after using the machine for a few weeks, so I've assumed it was stray plasticizer smell. My wife hasn't commented on any smells, so it can't be too bad. I think.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I used this CPAP for 5 months and no issues, then this. I use a Bottled Spring Water and wash the mask and Humidifier container daily in Distilled Water with a touch of White Vinegar. I wash the hose unit weekly using the same products. This has been my best CPAP so far and I do want to find out what I'm dealing with.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2016, 06:27 PM)Normbc9 Wrote: Thank you. I used this CPAP for 5 months and no issues, then this. I use a Bottled Spring Water and wash the mask and Humidifier container daily in Distilled Water with a touch of White Vinegar. I wash the hose unit weekly using the same products. This has been my best CPAP so far and I do want to find out what I'm dealing with.

Bottled spring water often has a lot of minerals dissolved in it. That is bad for your humidifier because it precipitates out under heat and will discolour the bottom of it. It might also provide nutrients for bacteria to grow in.

Distilled water has all the minerals taken out of it and that is what the makers call for. It is cheap, usually cheaper than spring water and since it contains *only* water it provides no nutrients for bacterial colonies to grow on. In some places municipal water is very low in minerals and in other places very high.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 406 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,725 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,603 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,771 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 228 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.