Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Smelly cpap smell after months of use and other problems
Smelly cpap smell after months of use and other problems
I made an account here just to write this:

My cpap hummudifier is filled with distilled water turn the cpap on put the mask in my nose and after few minutes breathing with fresh air, the air began to smell bad after 2 minutes the air became uncomfortable so i turn the cpap off, take my mask off and sleep without a cpap.My brothers phone alarm woke me up at around 3 am so i change the water of the hummudifier to ozonized water, put it in my cpap go to my bed again put the mask on and so on and still the same thing happens the air smell bad after minutes of use causing me not to use the cpap anymoreUnsure

Ive been using cpap for months now and after 1 month of struggle,i began having good night sleeps by the the help of this forum too but i want clear answers to solve this problem so i made an account here.Any suggestions how to fix this? Any clues? Dont-know

Hummudifier level:2
Water:ozonized water

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: Smelly cpap smell after months of use and other problems
Hi Zhen,

Have you washed your hose and your mask?

Also check/replace the air filter on your machine.

If those things do not resolve the problem, you should take your machine in to be checked out.

--- I just saw your humidity level is set to "2." You might try moving that up to 3 or 3.5.

My cpap has no air filter
Filter is in the back of the machine. Smell is likely your tank needs washed. Hose needs washed or mask. Filter usually wont smell but it does need changed regularly.
Never heard of a cpap machine that goes lower thsn 4 cmh2o.
Hi zhentrixcalipso,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Your machine should have a place for filters.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and getting your machine problems straightened out.
trish6hundred
Soak your "parts" mask, hose, water tank, any that will not be damaged by the water in a plastic pan (I use a bathing pan I got from hospital)with warm water and 1/4 cup of white vinegar for 6 to hours, rinse a couple times, and let air dry.

Smelly CPAP,
Smelly CPAP,
What are they feeding you?
Smelly CPAP,
Smelly CPAP,
It's not your fault!

Love,
Phoebe

Seriously, I have nothing to offer other than what others have said. Please let us know what the deal is if you figure it out.
(05-07-2015, 03:06 PM)zhentrixcalipso Wrote: Any suggestions how to fix this? Any clues? Dont-know

I had the same problem and no one could figure it out. But I eventually did.

First, wash the humidifier tank, hose, foam filter, and mask in warm soapy water. Change the white filter. Put distilled water in the humidifier tank. If the smell returns immediately it's the inside of the machine. You have to take it all apart, clean it, and put it back together.

If you need help let us know. There are threads with instructions and photos. My PRS1 had a rancid oily film of fine dust on every surface that came in contact with the air stream, including the impeller blades. By soaking and brushing I got it all clean and the problem disappeared.

I took my S9 apart and it was clean on the inside, so don't do this unless you can't get rid of the smell any other way.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
How did you end up with an M Series CPAP machine? Those haven't been made for years.

You do need to wash the gray foam filter every two weeks, and replace it every 6 months. There is an optional white filter that goes behind the gray filter. If you use it, you need to replace it every month.

It's necessary to have the grey filter in place to prevent machine damage long term. The white filter is optional.

How do you clean your water tank?

Are you getting this machine and supplies from a local DME (CPAP salesman)? Do you have insurance? Are you in the USA? If so, there should be a schedule for replacement parts.

If not you can buy replacement parts (other than masks) online without a prescription.

Are you working with a doctor on apnea?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
As others have said, the only reason it would stink is if it is dirty, and bacteria/mold/fungus is growing in it.

Or a mouse got in the machine and died.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,713 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,002 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 281 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,643 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Going nowhere with ASV after 3 months CaliforniaDreamer 20 484 03-08-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 290 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.