Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Smelly mask/hose - what to do?
Smelly mask/hose - what to do?
Hi guys

Lately most nights when I put on my p10 mask there is a bad smell. Each morning I soak the mask in warm water with detergent, later rinse out well, turn on the machine for an hour or two to get out most of the moisture, let it air dry. Once a week I soak the hose.

And I change the S9's filter every few weeks.

Any ideas?

TIA

Benzi
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Smelly mask/hose - what to do?
I don't wash my tube or mask with any frequency at all and only maintain the cushions. You might consider changing out the tube and just not washing it more than monthly. Daily exposure to water seems like over-kill and my have encouraged mildew if there is any soap or moisture residue. At this point you might try using a weak bleach solutions for the tubing and mask and try to swab the inside by tying a small swab on a string you can pass end-to-end in the tube. Lightly rinse and dry.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mechanical cleaning may be your next option. Look for "CPAP hose brush". It is a long coil/flexible wire with brushes on each end. You just drag it through your hose several times with some cleaning solution/bleach to remove any organic film that's been growing on the inner surface of the hose. Don't forget to do the same for the short run of hose attached to the P10 as well.

Next I dipped a cotton swab in rubbing alcohol and pushed it all the way through with the brush.
This worked for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both!
I'm going to try and clean the hose, order a new one and also order the brush. In the meantime, is it a health hazard to use a smelly hose?
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless you have some reaction to it, I doubt it's going to do much harm if you use if for a few more days/nights till the new hose/brush arrives. Mine smelled like dirty socks for several weeks until I decided to clean it, no harm done to me.

Make sure you air out the hose before you use it, otherwise you'll get a very strong hit of alcohol when you inhale!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2022, 11:22 AM)Aldebaran Wrote: Unless you have some reaction to it, I doubt it's going to do much harm if you use if for a few more days/nights till the new hose/brush arrives. Mine smelled like dirty socks for several weeks until I decided to clean it, no harm done to me.

Make sure you air out the hose before you use it, otherwise you'll get a very strong hit of alcohol when you inhale!

Maybe the alcohol will help me sleep ?
Post Reply Post Reply
I was thinking disconnect the hose from the elbow , and the blow the air (just machine and hose now) into a bag to see if the smell is present. Then you would know if it's machine and/or hose.
How is the humidifier tank for cleanliness ? If you're currently using water in the humidifier, could something in the water have changed ?
Post Reply Post Reply
This is all very strange. The vendor says to wash everything daily.....
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there a chance that the smell is coming from the machine itself and not from the hose?
Post Reply Post Reply
Smelly mask - Part 2: buy an S10?
Hi guys,

I got a new hose, the smell is better but still there. I called the local resmed distributor (and lab) to ask whether there is something inside the machine itself that might need cleaning. They said they don't know, maybe try adding a few drops of mouthwash to the humidifier, and then added that I was eligible for a refresh, so why not upgrade my s9 to an S10 with a new mask (about $400 bucks).

I may just go ahead and do it, although it hurts to throw out money.

1. Any other ideas on how to deal with the smell?
2. I understand that the S10 for her is the preferred model but it's not available here. Is there a critical difference?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 235 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 638 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Top Hose vs. Bottom Hose Jose Castro 19 1,554 11-03-2023, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Jose Castro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.