Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Smelly mask/hose - what to do?
RE: Smelly mask/hose - what to do?
I didnt notice of mention when I re-read the thread (maybe I missed it), but is water a possible cause ?
Humidifier tank water, or final rinse water of any parts that were cleaned.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2022, 11:08 AM)DaveCar Wrote: I didnt notice of mention when I re-read the thread (maybe I missed it), but is water a possible cause ?
Humidifier tank water, or final rinse water of any parts that were cleaned.

Don't think so. I use filtered water for the humidifier, and vinegar  for cleaning the humidifier tank (I fill it with 2 parts vinegar, 1 part water), let it sit for 15 minutes, then rinse well with lots of water (sometimes detergent too if it has these weird red marks or feels greasy). I wash the plastic parts with detergent. When I wash the mask and hose, I use detergent and rinse with lots of water.

Until very recently I washed the mask every day and the hose once a week. Then someone wrote that I was washing them too often and maybe they weren't drying well enough (and causing the smell), so now I've decided to do it every couple of weeks (someone wrote here that they wash it once a month, the salesman/technician told me to do it once a week, and other people seem to do it daily. Go figure....)
Post Reply Post Reply
Guys

So is this the way to do it?

I disconnected the hose, sprayed some on a wad of tissues, removed the filter, turned on the machine and held the tissues a couple of inches from the air intake for about 10 seconds. Then let the machine run for an hour to remove any residue.   

Turns out it isn't doing the job.  Do I need to apply the Ozium differently? For a longer period? Closer to the air intake?
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I wonder if a test like this might determine which part ?
How about running the machine without hose, direct the air into a clean (unscented) garbage bag for a minute or so.  Remove and stick your head into the bag.  If you smell the bad odor, then it's the machine.   If not, put hose on the machine and repeat the test, to see if its the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is fine to let the fumes from the Ozium soaked material be taken in for some time. There is no dose, but you should notice that the odors do not return. I figure if it can take out cigarette smoke, your funk should succumb as well. When I did this, I could not stay in the same room with the machine being fumigated.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you detect the smell from the hose, mask, humidifier or machine when not hooked up and running? Have you been able to isolate the part that is smelling?
Post Reply Post Reply
Now I think I overdid it. I used the ozium for a longer time and it seems to have left the smell of ozium (or something) in the machine! Yuck(
How can I remove THAT smell?
Post Reply Post Reply
Leave it running until ventilated.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
After reading the safety data sheet on Ozium I'm not sure you would want to breath in the fumes left in the CPAP from the Ozium which may have been absorbed into its sound dampening foam.
You may want to run the CPAP a day or so 'open ended' to hopefully flush out the lingering Ozium before using it again.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/cata...09ddee.pdf

https://healthfully.com/ozium-5112214.html
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2022, 07:37 AM)StratCat48 Wrote: After reading the safety data sheet on Ozium I'm not sure you would want to breath in the fumes left in the CPAP from the Ozium which may have been absorbed into its sound dampening foam.
You may want to run the CPAP a day or so 'open ended' to hopefully flush out the lingering Ozium before using it again.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/cata...09ddee.pdf

https://healthfully.com/ozium-5112214.html
Last night I slept with it despite the smell. Won't do that again
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 232 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 582 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 643 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Top Hose vs. Bottom Hose Jose Castro 19 1,561 11-03-2023, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Jose Castro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.