Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sneezing, Running nose problem
Sneezing, Running nose problem
I have a problem! I wake up sneezing, I'll sneeze 15 to 20 times in a row!! And it goes on all day. My nose runs like a faucet was left on and there is a spot inside that tingles and causes more sneezing. It's so bad I hate to leave the house and my poor nose is getting so sore. I am assuming that it's the cpap causing this. I have the ResMed S9 for her with the 5i humidifier and the heated humidifier hose. The humidifier is set at 80 now, I had it up as high as it would go at first, I keep turning it down a bit every night, hoping that will help, but so far is hasn't. I am wearing the Airfit P10 mask, it's the only one I've tried that I can wear and be comfortable. I also have a ResMed Swift FX Nano, but it leaks bad and even though I have a small size, it feels too big and rubs on my eyes. Is there anything I can do to stop the sneezing and running nose?

Thanks so much for any advise!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sneezing, Running nose problem
This is probably just a transient event, meaning you'll get past it soon. But double check your environment. Where do you have your machine? If it's on the floor, then you could be picking up more dust than you should. Is there a cat stuck on the back of it blocking the filter?

You could try a non-drowsy antihistamine if the problem does not resolve. I take Loratidine which does not foul up my sleep and is a very mild antihistamine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most likely, your home has some potential allergens that bother you. When you are on cpap, you are breathing filtered air and when you wake up and breathe without the mask, the allergen invades your nostrils immediately and that triggers the sneeze attack.

I have a couple of sneezes and a bit of a runny nose within 5 minutes of removing the mask, but it goes away within 30 minutes.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
You might consider ordering hypoallergenic filters for the S9. Both Supplier #1 and 26 carry them.There is an inline filter available but I haven't found a need to try it.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2015, 02:06 PM)sgearhart Wrote: You might consider ordering hypoallergenic filters for the S9. Both Supplier #1 and 26 carry them.There is an inline filter available but I haven't found a need to try it.

Thanks! I ordered the hypoallergenic filters with my machine and one is installed, but I haven't tried the inline filter.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2015, 12:30 PM)retired_guy Wrote: This is probably just a transient event, meaning you'll get past it soon. But double check your environment. Where do you have your machine? If it's on the floor, then you could be picking up more dust than you should. Is there a cat stuck on the back of it blocking the filter?

You could try a non-drowsy antihistamine if the problem does not resolve. I take Loratidine which does not foul up my sleep and is a very mild antihistamine.

Thanks for replying! I sure hope that it's transient, be so glad to get over this! I use an allergy pill when I'm bad, but it doesn't do much for me. The machine is above the floor level and no cats in the house to leave hair around, so I can't throw the cat out to help me out, LOL.
(02-11-2015, 01:50 PM)AshSF Wrote: Most likely, your home has some potential allergens that bother you. When you are on cpap, you are breathing filtered air and when you wake up and breathe without the mask, the allergen invades your nostrils immediately and that triggers the sneeze attack.

I have a couple of sneezes and a bit of a runny nose within 5 minutes of removing the mask, but it goes away within 30 minutes.

Thanks, could be something in the house, maybe spring and open windows will help!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2015, 02:35 PM)KarenSW Wrote:
(02-11-2015, 02:06 PM)sgearhart Wrote: You might consider ordering hypoallergenic filters for the S9. Both Supplier #1 and 26 carry them.There is an inline filter available but I haven't found a need to try it.

Thanks! I ordered the hypoallergenic filters with my machine and one is installed, but I haven't tried the inline filter.
I would be very interested in how those filters you ordered work for you.
I call the supplier of my machine to try them she said did not have any in stock and would ask her Rep and also the tec. dept.how they worked -the reply was't positive. Let us know how the work for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2015, 02:50 PM)BigBob2 Wrote: I call the supplier of my machine to try them she said did not have any in stock and would ask her Rep and also the tec. dept.how they worked -the reply was't positive. Let us know how the work for you.

May I suggest that you look at suppliers #1 and #26 for them. They aren't expensive.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi KarenSW,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try one of the sinus rinses or the nati pot before bed time and see if that helps you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fan is running but no pressure from Dreamstaion Fireboss 0 17 1 hour ago
Last Post: Fireboss
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,576 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,812 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 196 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,978 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.