Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

"Snore" data from Resmed S9
"Snore" data from Resmed S9
Using SleepyHead, I see the "snore" data coming from my Resmed S9. Curious about this-- how is the system measuring this, and how do I put some context to the data?

I of course have ongoing empirical snore data-- based on the number of times my wife kicks me during the evening-- but I was wondering how this correlates. It would be good to verify that my wife isn't kicking me for the fun of it. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: "Snore" data from Resmed S9
Snore or "Snore Index" is the measure of the amplitude of pressure wave generated by a patient's snoring. It's measured by taking recordings via a secret microphone that records your snoring and sends it to ResMed, and thanks to Homeland Security and the Patriot Act, also records your private bedtime talk and sends that to the National Security Agency for real-time terrorist analysis... Shock

Okay, not really. Bigwink Big Grin

There's really no secret microphone. The snore data is an estimate made via the amplitude of the pressure wave variation caused by snoring (pressure variances are compared to get the reading).

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Crippiter and welcome
I don,t use SH but on ResScan snore shown on a scale ranging from quiet to loud. The S9 AutoSet respond to snore, flow limitation and apnea. Your setting in default setting 5-20 is a wide range speak to your doctor to have the range adjusted.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2012, 12:25 AM)Crippiter Wrote: Using SleepyHead, I see the "snore" data coming from my Resmed S9. Curious about this-- how is the system measuring this, and how do I put some context to the data?

I've been wondering about this also. In the SleepyHead data there are numbers to the side of the snore index. Here's a pic of part of my snore graph from 2 nights ago.
[Image: snore_graph.png]
I think but am not sure that the numbers on the side show the loudness in decibels. I asked this question in the SleepyHead thread but didn't get a response.

It looks like I snore loudly but my husband says he can't hear me snore. He can only hear the machine. If the numbers are decibels, my machine is rated at 29 dB. I'm not that much louder than my machine. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2012, 07:45 AM)iSnooze Wrote: Here's a pic of part of my snore graph from 2 nights ago.

All you need to do is find out what you did between 10:30 and 11:30 during that night and keep doing it... no snoring at all during that time period. Bigwink
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the ResScan Version 3.16 Software & NOT the SleepyHead Software.

Should you be recording any snore index at all if the CPAP is working? Dont-know
Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2012, 11:06 AM)Steven Wrote: I use the ResScan Version 3.16 Software & NOT the SleepyHead Software.

Should you be recording any snore index at all if the CPAP is working? Dont-know

Good question. Thoughts anyone? Dont-know
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
WOW...Isnooze and SS.. I can hear you guys down here in FL..Too-funny

Seriously though..I have actually experimented and have dragged the hose across the edge of my pillow, corner of bed and/or bedpost and have gotten a snore reading during this time. Therefor it is my belief that the snore index is a trifle skewed by such actions as movements during the night.. Just my 2 cents..
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2012, 11:21 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(03-04-2012, 11:06 AM)Steven Wrote: I use the ResScan Version 3.16 Software & NOT the SleepyHead Software.

Good question. Thoughts anyone? Dont-know
I know nothing about SH, agree snore ought be flat as possible otherwise pressure need to be adjusted. How,s flow limitation and AHI.
Might be a good time to follow up with the Doc.

On another note if sleeping and feeling good than may be it,s storm in a teacup. Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2012, 08:49 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(03-04-2012, 07:45 AM)iSnooze Wrote: Here's a pic of part of my snore graph from 2 nights ago.

All you need to do is find out what you did between 10:30 and 11:30 during that night and keep doing it... no snoring at all during that time period. Bigwink

Wow, unless you're on a different scale than I am, I'm not sure how anybody could sleep in the same room as you! Shhh From what I've read, the scale does not reflect decibels, it's just a measure from no sound, to moderate to loud. Most of my snore graphs since I started CPAP therapy have been very close to 0 all night long. Attached below are my ResScan and Sleepyhead graphs for January 14th, which is the last time I had a loud snore. Based on what I'm seeing it appears that 1.0 on Sleepyhead approximates moderate sound on ResScan and 2.0 on Sleepyhead approximates loud sound on ResScan. Looks like Sleepyhead is saying your snores top out at about 37 on the scale which seems incredibly high! Dont-knowShock-2

[Image: ResScanSnore.jpg]

[Image: SleepyheadSnore.jpg]
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Resmed Aircurve 10 VAuto Data fracturedhibernation 1 241 02-23-2024, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR says: "Resmed Airsense 10 does not record detailed data"! Really? PappaJoe 3 475 02-14-2024, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  excessive snore on report jentlesoal 0 175 02-06-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: jentlesoal
  How to read the Snore Graph daz2264 0 285 12-30-2023, 03:42 PM
Last Post: daz2264
  Does Resmed even ask for your permission before uploading your data ? S. Manz 18 2,073 12-23-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Chainsawgod
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,449 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 788 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.