Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What do pressures mean
RE: What do pressures mean
(02-16-2016, 01:18 PM)kaiasgram Wrote:
(02-16-2016, 12:44 PM)whmagill Wrote: OK... Your Pressure Graph is NOTHING at all like mine.
If you use EPR on your Autoset you should also have two pressure lines, one for IPAP and one for EPAP (reflecting your EPR setting of 1, 2 or 3).
Hmm... I wish there was a way to dump the settings information.

Looking on the ResMed AirSense 10 itself, it lists:
EPR -- On
EPR Type -- Full Time
EPR Level -- 3
Bill Magill
Retired computing and networking professional
(ARPAnet, Unix and Mac OSX)
"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,
but actually — from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint —
it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff."
The Doctor
Post Reply Post Reply
The pressure lines could also be a setting in SH. I don't have two lines, just the one. I found it useless to see the two lines.

EPR full time means it is on during the ramp, if you use it.

EPR level 3 means it drops 3 points when you exhale. So if your inhale is 9, your exhale is 6.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2016, 01:18 PM)kaiasgram Wrote:
(02-16-2016, 12:44 PM)whmagill Wrote: OK... Your Pressure Graph is NOTHING at all like mine.
If you use EPR on your Autoset you should also have two pressure lines, one for IPAP and one for EPAP (reflecting your EPR setting of 1, 2 or 3).

Also, you posted your Flow Rate graph below your Pressure graph, not your Flow Limit graph like I have in mine. Check out your Flow Limit graph instead and you'll see the correlation with pressure.

I have the Autosense 10. Changes in EPR do not produce 2 lines. The single mask pressure line varies from pressure to pressure -3cm for each exhale. Yours must be set different than mine some how?
It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. --Confucius
Post Reply Post Reply
As I recall, you only get one pressure line on SH 0.9.8, and two using the new 1.0.0-beta. The single line is your IPAP, whether or not you are using EPR.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2016, 06:27 AM)zonk Wrote:
(02-16-2016, 06:00 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Just adding to what's already been said - if your machine goes to the maximum and stays there, it's an indication that your maximum might not be high enough.
More likely the case, but in my experience with the A10 AutoSet, the machine tend to respond aggressively to flow limitation (wasn't an issue for me with S9 AutoSet) and put the pressure sky high and that disrupt my beauty sleep
Its a question for me, do I want all all FL dealt with higher pressure or some FL and lower pressure
I've experienced the same thing with my PR S1 Series 50 BiPAP Auto. It has a tendency to respond quite aggressively to FL and VS's. And I've had to limit my max IPAP so that the machine does not run off and give me severe aerophagia.

Sometimes you do have to put up with a bit of FL and/or mild snoring in order to consistently get a good night's sleep.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2016, 04:47 PM)Ed1101 Wrote: I have the Autosense 10. Changes in EPR do not produce 2 lines. The single mask pressure line varies from pressure to pressure -3cm for each exhale. Yours must be set different than mine some how?

Hi Ed1101,

"Pressure" and "Mask Pressure" are two different graphs.

I think Pressure refers to the present IPAP target at the mask, versus Mask Pressure which I think refers to the instantaneous estimate of the pressure at the mask, based on very rapid measurements.

If using ResScan, I think the Mask Pressure waveform is called the High Rate Pressure waveform and if memory serves is the result of around 25 measurements per second, versus changes in the Pressure target occurring perhaps every couple seconds or less frequently.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2016, 06:25 PM)pholynyk Wrote: As I recall, you only get one pressure line on SH 0.9.8, and two using the new 1.0.0-beta. The single line is your IPAP, whether or not you are using EPR.
Where are you finding this 1.0.0-beta? Are you building it from source?

Nothing here: http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/
and Source Forge says "1.0.0 beta is coming soon." -- but that appears to apply to the Ubuntu Liinux version only.

Bill Magill
Retired computing and networking professional
(ARPAnet, Unix and Mac OSX)
"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,
but actually — from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint —
it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff."
The Doctor
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2016, 09:36 AM)whmagill Wrote: Where are you finding this 1.0.0-beta? Are you building it from source?

There was a link to it in another thread. It's an install file in .exe format. I installed it about a week ago and it's working fine so far. Did take awhile to reload my old data from the earlier version.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2016, 08:27 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(03-26-2016, 04:47 PM)Ed1101 Wrote: I have the Autosense 10. Changes in EPR do not produce 2 lines. The single mask pressure line varies from pressure to pressure -3cm for each exhale. Yours must be set different than mine some how?

Hi Ed1101,

"Pressure" and "Mask Pressure" are two different graphs.

I think Pressure refers to the present IPAP target at the mask, versus Mask Pressure which I think refers to the instantaneous estimate of the pressure at the mask, based on very rapid measurements.

If using ResScan, I think the Mask Pressure waveform is called the High Rate Pressure waveform and if memory serves is the result of around 25 measurements per second, versus changes in the Pressure target occurring perhaps every couple seconds or less frequently.

You are correct. My SH pressure graph only changes with certain events while the Mast Pressure graph approximately follows the pressure graph but varies with exhale rate when EPR is on. Amplitude of the variation is approximately equal to the EPR setting from 1 to 3 cm. Thanks for clarifiying my misstatement.
It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. --Confucius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 301 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central apnea and high pressures? esaulcatnas 20 1,734 02-16-2024, 12:22 AM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 458 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 424 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Central sleep apnea? need help on pressures flappypalate 2 486 11-23-2023, 05:37 PM
Last Post: flappypalate
  Need help falling asleep with changing BiPap pressures ISeekRem 7 637 08-13-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Ffm requires higher pressures yankees123 2 559 05-15-2023, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.