Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Snoring Questions Linger On
Snoring Questions Linger On
After changing DMEs and obtaining what seems to be a good mask fit I feel pretty comfortable that most of my issues are under control except for some questions about snoring as reported to my SleepyHead charts. After reading quite a bit of what has been written by forum members I have reached the conclusion that there are a lot of unanswered questions about what we see as snoring on the charts. I have shown my sleep doctor a couple of my charts and he has shown interest in them and has expressed considerable interest in the snoring events charted. I never mentioned to him that I am an engineer but he figured that out from my questions and from the way I was digging into the data. I do not think he was familiar with SleepyHead before seeing my charts. A couple of my recent charts are posted below and I will appreciate hearing any comments or recommendations regarding the snoring shown and about anything else for that matter.

The doctor would like to see the data recorded on the SD card from my machine and I do not see any reason not to let him download the data. However, I would like to know ahead of time just what sort of data will found on the card over and above compliance data (which is immaterial in my case) and what is shown by SleepyHead charts. Can someone shed some light on that? He is aware that I can change the settings etc.

I am pretty sure that a while back I read in one of Robysue's earlier (maybe archived) posts the suggestion that the VS2 shown by SleepyHead for my PR Dream Station do not represent valid snore events and if they were not shown the chart would be more realistic. I have not been able to go back to that statement and, if I really saw such a statement, I would  appreciate any help in relocating it.

As usual, thanks for all the help,

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Snoring Questions Linger On
Here is what is written in the Beginner's guide to Sleepyhead: "VS2 snores

VS2 snores are recorded by all Philips Respironics machines. They have both a time stamp and a "magnitude" number attached to them. In the SleepyHead list, when you look at the detailed information for each VS snore event, there will be a NON-zero number in the in parenthesis for that event. Whether that number represents the length the snoring went on or some kind of measure of the loudness of the snoring is anybody's guess. We really do not know the significance of that number.

JediMark's SleepyHead VS2 graph uses the "magnitude" numbers for the vertical-coordinates in the Snore graph. In other words, JediMark has set the SleepyHead VS2 graph up with the assumption that the "magnitude" numbers are somehow related to how bad the snoring is. That's not a totally unreasonable assumption since you can have VS2 events closely space together with some rather large "magnitude" numbers. But it is an assumption and there's no real way to verify whether this assumption is valid. That's why the units on the Snore graphs are labelled as "Unknown" when you hover the mouse over the vertical scale of the Snore graph.

The VS2 snores show up in Encore (all versions) as tick marks in the Events table based on the time stamp of the VS2 event. But the calculation of the VSI index in Encore is not as straightforward as you would expect.

No one outside of Philips Respironics really knows the difference between the changes in flow rate that are needed to score a VS and the changes needed to score a VS2. But some of the Philips Respironics System One machines can be pretty sensitive to picking up vibrations that are coming from sources other than the patient's own airflow. But that said, real snoring is picked up by the Philips Respironics System One as well as false snoring. You basically have to look at patterns in your own data and learn to interpret based on what you know is going on at night and what you think might be going on at night."
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
My PR machine records coughs as snores, for what it's worth.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great answer Walla. I had not read that and learned something.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I initially posted this I think I let the real question fall into the cracks because of other verbiage. My main intent was to ask for input on the snoring events shown on the attached SleepyHead charts from 4/11, 4/12 and 5/17 which pretty well cover what I typically see. I do not recall ever seeing a chart without at least a few snore events. It's not unusual for my charts to show clusters of snore events as shown by the 4/12 chart. Rarely does my wife hear me snore. Should I ignore the snoring or should I change some settings to get rid of some of the snoring? All help appreciated.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
Probably best to turn off the event flags for VS2 at the bottom left of your sleepyhead chart. For the remaining snores try bumping up your minimum pressure 1cm.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Walla Walla, the VS2 events do not seem to have a lot of validity. I will try your suggestion by bumping the 8 minimum up to 9 and report back.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2018, 02:49 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Probably best to turn off the event flags for VS2 at the bottom left of your sleepyhead chart. For the remaining snores try bumping up your minimum pressure 1cm.

I told you I would report back. I increased minimum pressure from 8 to 9 and kept it that way for four nights. The snoring pattern stayed about the same so I went back to what it was. There is no correlation between snoring as reported by SleepyHead and the few times that my wife, a light sleeper, mentions that I snored. I think I may be giving the SleepyHead snoring reports more attention than they deserve. Everything else seems to be pretty well in order. It looks like time for this thread to die a natural death. Thanks for your input.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 155 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,487 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,592 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.