Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Snoring, mouth breather.
Snoring, mouth breather.
Hi Everyone and thanks for this forum and Oscar.

I am 61 and new to CPAP therapy. I bough a Resmed Airsense  10 auto set and have been using it for 40 days now. I use a F20 full mask.

I have a Toshiba Flashair w-02 and use Flashpap to download my data into Oscar every morning. 

I am a side sleeper and heavy mouth breather. I do not get good sleeps and cannot remember the last time I used a alarm clock to wake me.

I do not have sleep apnea but are a heavy snorer, 6" 2" and 240lbs.

So I am making slight adjustments to my machine and it has eliminated my snoring and are getting better sleeps, but not great sleeps.

My flow rates are quite erratic and seem to coincide with resp. rate, leaks, pressure and mask pressure.

Been concerned with my flow rates I tried for the 1st time last night taping my mouth shut and this made a huge difference to my flow rate this morning. I did not get a good sleep as it will take time getting used to mouth taping.

I have attached my stats. so far and flow rates from the last two nights one with tape and one without and taken around midnight. 

I do have narrow airways, get blocked ears and have tinnitus and cannot breathe freely through my nose, but I feel mouth taping with a slit cut in it to relieve some pressure puts me on the right track.

Any advise would be great. Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Snoring, mouth breather.
You have been gradually increasing your minimum pressure and have excellent results. I think increasing minimum pressure to 8.0 and taking EPR to 3 will take the edge off just a bit. The respiration rate is in error where there are erratic fluctuations during expiration. The machine detects those excursions above zero flow as a breath trigger. I don't know from what little we have seen, what might be causing that. Are you aware of any movement like restless legs?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2021, 02:57 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You have been gradually increasing your minimum pressure and have excellent results.  I think increasing minimum pressure to 8.0 and taking EPR to 3 will take the edge off just a bit.   The respiration rate is in error where there are erratic fluctuations during expiration.  The machine detects those excursions above zero flow as a breath trigger.  I don't know from what little we have seen, what might be causing that.  Are you aware of any movement like restless legs?

Thanks Sleeprider.

I'll try those settings and keep using the tape. My graphs just after one night look so much better using tape?

Pretty much sleep in one place and do not have restless legs (that I know of).

Here is two more full night graphs, last night with tape and previous night without tape been much more erratic.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The very long inspiration time on the chart 3/7 marked without tape is suggestive of flow limitation, but the other chart seems closer to normal. We probably need to get a closer look at what is going on. You say you cannot breathe nasally. What is the problem? Congestion, mouth leaks, inhale/exhale?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2021, 05:33 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The very long inspiration time on the chart 3/7 marked without tape is suggestive of flow limitation, but the other chart seems closer to normal. We probably need to get a closer look at what is going on.  You say you cannot breathe nasally. What is the problem? Congestion, mouth leaks, inhale/exhale?

I have a deviated septum and as long as I can remember have mouth breathed day and night. It's just easier. I do get congestion and allergies, get blocked ears when flying, can't scuba dive etc. and have a nasal drip most mornings, but I can breathe nasally (some days better than others) and I need to train myself to do this. This is why I'm trying the tape in conjunction with the Resmed. 

I do feel pretty good today after only using tape for one night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do me a favor and find a way to try the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows.  You will learn to breathe through your nose again.  I promise.  The positive pressure will expand the nasal passages and relieve any congestion.  At the same time it does not apply pressure to your sinuses and that will also free things up.  I have a deviated septum and seasonal allergies and have never used a full face mask. I won't steer you wrong, and what I'm suggesting could be life-changing. If I'm wrong, you're out $90. If I'm right, you get to feel normal.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2021, 08:17 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Do me a favor and find a way to try the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows.  You will learn to breathe through your nose again.  I promise.  The positive pressure will expand the nasal passages and relieve any congestion.  At the same time it does not apply pressure to your sinuses and that will also free things up.  I have a deviated septum and seasonal allergies and have never used a full face mask. I won't steer you wrong, and what I'm suggesting could be life-changing.  If I'm wrong, you're out $90. If I'm right, you get to feel normal.

Thanks for all your help Sleeprider.

I'll search around for the Nasal pillows as they are $299 here in NZ and there does not seem to be a fitment guide so have to buy the kit with the 3 sizes.

For testing and trial and error purposes would using the F20 full mask with mouth tape simulate the P10 pillows by forcing air directly into the nostrils?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see how a F20 mask could ever resemble a P10. That price is insane at over twice what we pay here. Any chance you can source through Supplier #2 or Supplier #33 in U.S. and pay the shipping? That price obviously changes my calculus of value. The Airfit P10 is $64 USD $90 NZD at Supplier #33, and they have capacity for international shipping.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Amerikiwi1 - Your taping experiment will not prove anything about using a P10. The biggest difference between an FFM and a Nasal Pillow is the difference in air pressure in and around the nose. Using an FFM, the air pressure is equal both inside and outside the nose area, leaving the nose in a natural condition. Whereas, a Nasal Pillow mask increases the air pressure inside the nose only, thus expanding the nasal airway. A closer approximation, while not exact, would be the application of several Breathe-Right strips.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the comments.

Eden Sleep here in NZ have offered to let me trial the P10 Nasal Pillows for two weeks, so I will do that.

Sleeprider - I tried those suppliers but they want another $95 USD for shipping!!

No good deals on Amazon or Ebay. I'll keep looking.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 29 4 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 366 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,474 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 802 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.