Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Snoring while using CPAP
Snoring while using CPAP
I started using a CPAP recently, motivated not by apnea, but rather because the person I sleep with regularly complained of extremely loud snoring, and began staying away due to sleepless nights.  A sleep study showed some OSA, so I was prescribed a ResMed Airsense 10 APAP.  I never felt symptoms of OSA, other than the loud snoring.  Now, a couple of weeks after starting therapy, my sleeping mate has told me that I am snoring almost as much as, and as loudly as without the machine.  Can someone look at my OSCAR data and perhaps offer some insight and/or suggestions?  I use a full face mask

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Snoring while using CPAP
Welcome to Apnea Board!

I'll address the biggest problem I see, and that is "Positional Apnea".
The Apneas that are "clumped" together suggest you are sleeping in such a way that you are effectively cutting off your air supply, sort of like a kinked hose.

What position do you sleep?  On your back?  What is the thickness of your sleeping pillow?  

If you are on your back, you must be sure that your head and neck are aligned properly.
If you pillow is too high, it can tend to push you head forward and cause "chin tucking".
Note, this can also occur sleeping on your side if your head and neck aren't aligned, or if you tend to sleep in a fetal position, curled up with head tucked.  

Most folk here have found that using a "soft" cervical collar helps.  Also, using a thinner, but supportive pillow.  Try to be conscious of your sleeping position, and take steps to correct it.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

And yes, you are snoring!  This signifies that your minimum  pressure is set too low.
Look at the statistics on the left sidebar.  Your median pressure is >16cm.  This is mostly due to the positional issue.  Even with that, your minimum  pressure needs to be a bit higher.

If you're willing, set your minimum to 10cm (you may need to be higher, but we won't know till you fix the positional issue.)

Also, leave max setting at 20 for now, and start using EPR (Expiratory Pressure Relief.)
Set EPR to 3 full time).  This will give you a exhalation pressure of 7cm.  
By using EPR, it will help lower Flow Limitations.

NOTE: These settings may not make much of a difference until you address the positional apnea.  Again, focus on your sleeping position.  Try a different pillow and/or soft collar.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,474 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,591 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [Diagnosis] Help with Snoring Sleepster 14 1,000 11-19-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Snoring ,treating hyponeas and flow limits Bluesv6 3 531 09-30-2023, 07:16 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Low O2 and Snoring Bigdonpaul 44 2,415 04-10-2023, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Bigdonpaul
  For Hypopneas, RERAs/snoring-IPAP increase/PS what is to much/effects ? KeepSmiling 1 782 11-06-2022, 09:45 PM
Last Post: KeepSmiling

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.