Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Snoring with mask on
Snoring with mask on
I use a mirage Quattro when I am stuffed. Today I took a nap and woke up to myself snoring. I wAs alarmed because I thought I might an apnea with the mask on. Usually when I snore it usually is followed by an apnea.
I am new using the machine, only diagnosed a month ago, and just got bipap machine less than 2 weeks ago.
If I snore using mask. Does it mean my pressure is too low?
Huhsign
Kimberly from HonoluluSleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Snoring with mask on
Snoring while wearing the mask can mean that your pressure is too low. However if you only snore while congested, you may need to do something to clear your sinuses instead. I have found it helpful to irrigate my sinuses with a neti pot filled with saline solution. Some people use a spray bottle; NeilMed makes both.

If the saline doesn't help, a prescription spray like Flonase or Nasonex may be helpful. Avoid Afrin and similar sprays, which have a rebound effect and can make congestion worse after a few nights of use.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might be having problems with your mouth falling open while asleep.
If that happens your nasal mask isn't doing you much good.
You might need a chin strap or full face mask to stay pressurized.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Last week, I was told by Mrs. Mongo that I was snoring during my first hour of sleep.
I had a little trouble believing it -- but, I checked the data; and sure enough snoring was indicated.
Didn't effect my apnea events or my sleep quality. I was just really tired that night.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The wife said I snored last night with the machine on. Sure enough the report this am said I had. But the auto machine simply pushed the pressure up slowly a bit to stop it. Snoring usually precedes a OA but your machine if your mask is right for you should react and push pressure up a bit to stop the snore and prevent the OA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kfujioka,
If you are going to use the pillows mask, you might try a chinstrap and see if that helps you keep your mouth closed.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2014, 01:24 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: The wife said I snored last night with the machine on. Sure enough the report this am said I had. But the auto machine simply pushed the pressure up slowly a bit to stop it. Snoring usually precedes a OA but your machine if your mask is right for you should react and push pressure up a bit to stop the snore and prevent the OA.
Hi Ghost1958,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2014, 10:24 PM)kfujioka Wrote: If I snore using mask. Does it mean my pressure is too low?
Huhsign

Absolutely, definitely "maybe" 8-)

Some people feel OK with a little snoring, others don't. It really depends on how you feel and how much you're snoring.

I ended up raising my pressure to eliminate nearly all the snoring because I still felt pretty awful in the morning even with a low AHI if I snored a lot. (30+ times/night)

The machine is supposed to take care of it, but tends to be overly conservative and although it will stop the apneas, will let you keep snoring/stopping it all night long, which was a problem for me. Only you can tell if you're happier snoring, or with more pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2014, 02:31 PM)trish6hundred Wrote:
(08-26-2014, 01:24 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: The wife said I snored last night with the machine on. Sure enough the report this am said I had. But the auto machine simply pushed the pressure up slowly a bit to stop it. Snoring usually precedes a OA but your machine if your mask is right for you should react and push pressure up a bit to stop the snore and prevent the OA.
Hi Ghost1958,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.

Thank you Smile Four nights on the machine. 8 to 10 hrs per night. So far so good. AHI is 2 to 4 now. O2 stays where it should instead of dropping to 64 like it was before. Feel like a different "much younger" person.

Anybody having problems with therapy hang with it. Its definitely worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2014, 10:24 PM)kfujioka Wrote: If I snore using mask. Does it mean my pressure is too low?
Huhsign
It's my understanding that snoring is the vibration of the tissues of the airway. This happens when the airway has narrowed and the inspired air has to accelerate through the narrowing to reach the lungs causing the airway to vibrate producing the annoying sounds. This vibration is sensed by the PAP machine, causing it to increase its pressure. Whether or not a VPAP is faster or slower than an APAP to respond to this signal I don't know.Perhaps another member has this knowledge, but even though your titrated pressure is correct, it is true if snoring, at that particular time, your pressure is too low.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,472 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,591 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 933 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [Diagnosis] Help with Snoring Sleepster 14 1,000 11-19-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Snoring ,treating hyponeas and flow limits Bluesv6 3 531 09-30-2023, 07:16 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Low O2 and Snoring Bigdonpaul 44 2,414 04-10-2023, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Bigdonpaul
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.