Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Snorting/Gasping myself awake with high heart rate
Snorting/Gasping myself awake with high heart rate
Hi, 
I'm having a real difficulty initiating sleep. I have moderate obstructive sleep apnea, but when I fall asleep, my AHI is actually very low (when I use my APAP, though my compliance has been poor because it seems to exacerbate this issue I'm referring - I often use my mandibular advancement device when not using this. ), but on the onset of sleep, I naturally seem to wake myself up with this sharp inhalation of breath/snore and a raised heart-rate.  

I've spoken to an ENT previously who said this wouldn't be sleep apnea as this only occurs in the deeper stages of sleep, whereas this only occurs at sleep onset. 

I sleep on my back and I nasal breath. I have mild turbinate hypertrophy, but take nasal sprays and breath through my nose fine during the day and even when I'm lying in bed beginning to drift off - but as I drift into that semi-conscious state, I snore/snort/sharply inhale and find myself very aroused.
I know it's a long-short, but does anyone know what might cause this if not sleep apnea? Could it be UARS related? I don't have any general anxiety related to sleep (though after months of this, it is getting tougher not to) and I'm usually very relaxed in bed, and these jolts come out of nowhere as I'm drifting off. 

I've tried mouth-breathing instead and this only seems to exacerbate this. 

Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Really feeling desperate now, 

I've attached snips from my last APAP usage which was a little while ago now: 

On the first picture, you can see two occasions where my breathing spikes. Sleeprider very kindly analysed these for me, but didn't see much of an issue from a CPAP/APAP therapy standpoint. 

As I say, any advice would be massively appreciated - feeling a little lost and desperate right now. 

Kind regards, 
DTBetter
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Snorting/Gasping myself awake with high heart rate
A typical scenario would be that you've stopped breathing and your body is waking you abruptly with a jolt of adrenaline so that you'll get oxygen (sharp inhalation). The adrenaline causes your raised heart rate.

you don't want this to continue, whatever the cause. It's not good for your heart.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Snorting/Gasping myself awake with high heart rate
(05-18-2020, 10:37 AM)hegel Wrote: A typical scenario would be that you've stopped breathing and your body is waking you abruptly with a jolt of adrenaline so that you'll get oxygen (sharp inhalation). The adrenaline causes your raised heart rate.

you don't want this to continue, whatever the cause. It's not good for your heart.

Thabk you! Do you think that's common in sleep apnea even in the lighter stages of sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 75 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 298 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 359 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 337 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 111 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Symptoms] Good until 3am, then awake sadness AvocadoSniffer 2 140 04-12-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: AvocadoSniffer
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 135 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.