Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

So Confused!
So Confused!
I am so confused about everything, I am going through a sleep clinic for my machine and mask, newly diagnosed. The technician did not tell me anything except to "bring the mask back in within 30 days if you aren't happy with it". She never fit it on my face, hooked it up to my machine or anything, most of the things discussed on this forum are completely foreign to me, I do not know what my machine will tell me or how to get the info, my second mask I think is too small, I cannot get enough air ~ it is like the hose is kinked and I keep checking...I started with nose pillows, could not keep them sealed ~ I must have a weird nose! So, now I am in a "mirage" ~ I think I may need one a little larger...I called to see if there was another place I could go for help, these folks are not helping and I feel like I am in this alone...Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: So Confused!
Welcome to the forum.
I am very new at this also, but have the same machine.
There is a slot on the back of the S9 for a SD card.
If you are looking at the back of the machine, it is toward the upper right.
There is a small lip above the slot for the card.

Your machine can tell you quite a bit.
The Sleepyhead software works very well (IMO).

I hope this will help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Need Sleep!,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you are having such a rough time right now and no, you're not alone. You're DME should have helped you with fitting the mask but not all DME's are good. Hopefully, you can get help through another one.
Let us know how you go and hang tight for more suggestions and don't give up.
Edit: What jharthy said about Sleepyhead, from what I understand it is very good.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jharthy,
WELCOME! to the forum,! and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2013, 11:53 AM)Need Sleep! Wrote: I am so confused about everything, I am going through a sleep clinic for my machine and mask, newly diagnosed. The technician did not tell me anything except to "bring the mask back in within 30 days if you aren't happy with it". She never fit it on my face, hooked it up to my machine or anything, most of the things discussed on this forum are completely foreign to me, I do not know what my machine will tell me or how to get the info, my second mask I think is too small, I cannot get enough air ~ it is like the hose is kinked and I keep checking...I started with nose pillows, could not keep them sealed ~ I must have a weird nose! So, now I am in a "mirage" ~ I think I may need one a little larger...I called to see if there was another place I could go for help, these folks are not helping and I feel like I am in this alone...Huh

Need Sleep!, welcome, I think you will learn more on here and other websites than any sleep clinic, the ResMed Mirage FX for Her is a nasal mask, all masks take some getting used to I went through 5 before I found the right one and sometimes still have problems. Keep asking questions because it was all new to us once, the more you learn about the illness and the equipment the better you will be able to cope.
We can take a lot of our therapy into our own hands by using the software the others have suggested.
This is a long journey and you are just starting out I think of it as a marathon not a sprint, we are here to help and support you so ask any questions, you may want to read up on other posts as well, good luck with your journey.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2013, 11:53 AM)Need Sleep! Wrote: I am so confused about everything,

Do you have insurance? Call them and ask them if there is a different equipment provider you can go to because you are not able to use the mask they gave you and they won't help you find another one.

I know this is all overwhelming so let's take it one step at a time.

Get a mask that fits you so that you can use it to get some sleep. Once you start getting some better quality sleep you'll start thinking more clearly and you can take the next step.

If you get nowhere with your insurance company or equipment provider call the doctor who prescribed your machine and explain the situation to them.

The hardest thing about CPAP therapy is getting the right mask and the medical professionals know this. They expect new patients to have problems and there are regulations, such as a free mask exchange within the first 30 days, designed to deal with this situation.

Often you will find that if you just talk to someone else at the equipment supplier's office you'll get someone who cares and is willing to help you.

Just don't give up and don't blame yourself. What you're experiencing is normal.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have problems getting answers, just remind those folks who are required to give you
answers. You are paying the bills! Either through insurance, you earned/payed for or through
direct payment. You are paying their salaries.
You have to remind these folks now and again as they can view us as weak and defenseless.
You can't blame them, just remind them.
Lee
Post Reply Post Reply
Try putting the mask on before going to sleep , get used to it while watching tv . Train yourself to put it on and off with your eyes closed . Get comfortable with it . If you are using ramp try it without it , some people can't use ramp because they feel short of air . It is a comfort setting to be determined by you , same with humidifier setting.
I guess you have to make friends with it so it doesn't bother you when you need sleep.
Are you getting a lot of leaks? When you are masked up and the machine is running does it say 8 cm pressure on the display / I don't have an s9 but other folks here do ,they can help you see what pressure your machine is running at.
Call the sleep clinic and tell them you want a copy of your prescription and your sleep study . This will tell you a lot and will let you get other equipment in the future. It will give you your pressure and settings , the dme should have set it up according to that. You will learn from the forums how to tweak these settings such as humidity and ramp and others. Keep your documentation like a passport you will need it .
The manuals to set the machines are all online here , plus plenty of help.
Your dme should help and verify the settings per prescription.
Good luck and keep working at it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all for your suggestions! I get kind of "panicky" in the middle of the night, I cannot "feel" the air and I think (subconsciously) that I am not getting any air, but if I break the seal, I can hear it big time! Not sure about why I feel cut off. I like the ideas you all shared re: putting the mask on while I am awake and getting used to it on my face. Tonight I have a meeting with the technician, I am going to try and get her to try some other masks as well or another size of the Mirage. The one I have feels like it is "right on" my nose...maybe a need a bigger size? Anyways, thanks to all, I will let ya'll know how it goes!

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2013, 06:10 PM)Need Sleep! Wrote: Not sure about why I feel cut off.

I'm not sure why that feeling arises, but I know it does. It happens I think when we find ourselves in a strange environment. The same sort of thing as claustrophobia. It bothers some people more than others.

But like anything else, if you can learn to live with it the feeling eventually subsides. Then it becomes part of what we consider normal.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 291 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [CPAP] Confused with CPAP struggles and results dohm 4 356 02-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: dohm
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,085 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Confused about CA's Julia63 12 716 12-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Confused interpreting sleep data SleepyMcDonald 4 525 11-06-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New and confused Retvet72 3 464 07-18-2023, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  A little confused. David Clark 12 907 06-25-2023, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.