Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

So I don't have OSA after using Cpap for 6 months
RE: So I don't have OSA after using Cpap for 6 months
The only thing that strikes me is your N3 sleep being non-existent during the sleep test. If that changes as a result of CPAP use, that could be one benefit of continuing treatment. But, getting slow wave sleep (N3) is dependent on many factors. You may be able to adjust it with sleep hygiene, specifically in the bedtime snack, exercise choices, and mental stimulation categories.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was in the same boat...AHI of only 6, but RDI / RERA = 50+/hr. UARS diagnosis for me. Sure, CPAP isn't the perfect solution for UARS, but it can be very effective...I know I've seen the difference.

If you're feeling better during the day and sleeping better at night, then I personally don't see anything wrong with maintaining the CPAP therapy to combat the sleep disruptions associated with UARS...it's what I am doing and it has helped a lot.

YMMV, but if it was broke and seems better now, don't fix the fix Wink
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 11:25 AM)PsychoMike Wrote: I was in the same boat...AHI of only 6, but RDI / RERA = 50+/hr. UARS diagnosis for me. Sure, CPAP isn't the perfect solution for UARS, but it can be very effective...I know I've seen the difference.

If you're feeling better during the day and sleeping better at night, then I personally don't see anything wrong with maintaining the CPAP therapy to combat the sleep disruptions associated with UARS...it's what I am doing and it has helped a lot.

YMMV, but if it was broke and seems better now, don't fix the fix Wink

While I have no major issues with the Cpap use, I would love to be able to not use it to just make bed a more pleasant place for my wife and I. It's not the end of the world I agree and it has helped, but I am a bit more to keen to looking for some solutions if it isn't OSA. We'll see. I'm going to explore a bit but continue my cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 07:44 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: The only thing that strikes me is your N3 sleep being non-existent during the sleep test. If that changes as a result of CPAP use, that could be one benefit of continuing treatment. But, getting slow wave sleep (N3) is dependent on many factors. You may be able to adjust it with sleep hygiene, specifically in the bedtime snack, exercise choices, and mental stimulation categories.

QAL

From what I was told, N3 and N4 sleep are very similar and both represent deep restorative sleep. I currently have terrible sleep habits and tons of stimulation right before sleep and have been a lazy bum not going to gym for 6 months having gained 15lbs. I am probably a total of 20 lbs away from my goal weight (when I had more muscle)
Post Reply Post Reply
we usually do not differentiate between N3 and N4 anymore (probably why there is no mention of N4 in your report). N3 = [N3 and N4].

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 03:22 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: we usually do not differentiate between N3 and N4 anymore (probably why there is no mention of N4 in your report). N3 = [N3 and N4].

QAL

Got it, BTW I only had N4, no N3
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 03:22 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: we usually do not differentiate between N3 and N4 anymore (probably why there is no mention of N4 in your report). N3 = [N3 and N4].

QAL

We?

Is your daytime job in the Sleep industry?
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 03:57 PM)Daso Wrote:

QAL

Got it, BTW I only had N4, no N3

Sorry. How long were you in Stage N4?

When I read your notes about what the report said, I saw no mention of N4. Here is excerpt - "It was interesting to see that I spent 21 minutes in N1 sleep, 220 min in N2, 0 in N3 and 77.5 in REM. My AHI did jump up to 4.6 in REM."

QAL

Post Reply Post Reply
Don't forget that

1. You've only got one night's sleep for each test. Even for people on fixed pressure CPAP, their nightly data may vary quite a bit from night to night.
  2. Your AHI number during the "bad" test was only 6
  3. Your home test did show AHI of 2.4
  4. Your home test did show an RDI of 10.9
  5. There's not an on/off function to apnea at 5 AHI. That's an artifact of insurance, regulation, and convention.

If you took the home sleep test again, it might well show you with an AHI of 6 or higher. It's one thing if your data shows an AHI of 40 on one test and nothing on another night.

RERA may be worse than you think. You may be "waking up" during each RERA. "Waking up" in terms of sleep stage, but you might not remember it. Think of how you'd feel if your alarm clock went off every 6 minutes all night long and you had to keep hitting the snooze button.

What does your AutoSet "think?" AHI, pressure range setting, does the pressure stay at the minimum setting, etc.?

BTW, I'm not saying you DO have apnea and need CPAP. I'm pointing out that the conclusion that you don't have apnea isn't really that clear cut.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 281 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,644 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Going nowhere with ASV after 3 months CaliforniaDreamer 20 484 03-08-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 290 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 671 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Has anyone ever received a refund on cpap after 3 months. Mwilson123 0 200 02-10-2024, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Mwilson123
  [CPAP] Still tired after 4 months of CPAP mohtorhead 11 1,027 02-03-2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.