Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

So I had a visit with my DME yesterday
So I had a visit with my DME yesterday
It's times like these that make me so thankful to have found this board.  I met with my DME for my one month compliance discussion about 45 days in (no problems with compliance or the AHI numbers)  A lot of interesting topics came up.  They expressed surprise that I was adjusting my own settings on my machine and strongly warned me against it.  "We've had people puncture their lung by using the wrong pressure for them because they adjusted their own settings..."  me "Really?  That doesn't sound very plausible without some kind of underlying medical condition...but even so it sounds a bit hard to believe."  They insisted it was true and that they are the experts who have all the education and know what the settings should be for each patient.  Then they said they are making a not in my file that I am making my own adjustments.  I said,  "Go ahead, the AHI numbers and my own well rested state speaks for itself." 

Then they proceeded to explain that someone that has an AHI of 68 might only be able to achieve a 10 AHI as a best score and they are ok with that kind of a number.  I told them in no uncertain terms that a 10 is not really acceptable and that you could do way better.  They then explained not to chase the numbers as it is more important how you feel in the morning.  I guess I had to agree with that.  So we left the topic. 

Then, they started taking me to task about the amount of masks I have tried (5) in my 70 days that I have been on CPAP.  I then explained that you need to try different masks early on when you are first starting out to figure out what works for you...  They seemed to agree but then told me I will only be able to try the F20 I have been waiting for, for weeks now for only 1 week.  I asked why it can't be for a month as usual for mask trials? They said they are not obligated to let me try any more masks since my insurance provider has already paid for my P10 mask and they only pay for one mask.  Then they told me if I want to buy the F20 it would cost me $350.  I chuckled and told them I could get it for way cheaper than that online from a Canadian vendor.  Surprisingly, they still agreed to let me trial the mask.  Needless to say I will be returning it after the week.

Overall, not a hugely positive experience and it re-iterates why forums like these are necessary for those of us that want control over our treatment and the best possible outcome for ourselves.  Hopefully I won't have to have much more contact with them in the future.  I need to look into whether I would be allowed to make my own purchases to replenish my supplies as needed by my insurance (Pacific Blue Cross.)  I would rather replenish my own supplies and not have contact with this company any more.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: So I had a visit with my DME yesterday
(04-11-2017, 12:17 PM)Marillion Wrote: I would rather replenish my own supplies and not have contact with this company any more.

Keep in mind that after they successfully sell you a machine they have made most of the profit off you that they will ever make. It's in their best interests to spend their time selling machines to new patients rather than fiddling around trying to fit you with masks and keep you in supplies. They only reason they do it is because they're obliged by the contract they made with your insurance company.

I recommend you call your insurance company and get a list of medical suppliers and home health care suppliers. Tell them about the one-week mask deal and find out if it's allowed by your insurance company, disallowed by your insurance company, or required by your insurance company. Contact other suppliers and see if you can get a better deal. They all have the same contract with your insurance company, so they all have to follow required practices, but they have some latitude when it comes to allowed practices. Hopefully none of them are following disallowed practices, but if they are and you catch them, they will have to stop.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very nice post.

I had a terrible experience at my local dealer. it's 45 miles away. yuck.

Get set up on a auto ship program , I called Resmed direct for this. They have a guide of what to send and when.

Have a great day.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is completely the impression I got Sleepster. Thanks for the info and advice. Also thanks to you Matzaball, I will be doing that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Everything I have seen from you, shows a good understanding of the therapy and what will work best for you. The "We've had people puncture their lung by using the wrong pressure for them because they adjusted their own settings..." is a pretty amazing and ignorant statement, not to mention that treated AHI has any relationship to the original test. Those kind of statements suggest ignorance. You're fortunate that you have an understanding that transcends that kind of crap.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2017, 03:09 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Everything I have seen from you, shows a good understanding of the therapy and what will work best for you.  The "We've had people puncture their lung by using the wrong pressure for them because they adjusted their own settings..." is a pretty amazing and ignorant statement, not to mention that treated AHI has any relationship to the original test.  Those kind of statements suggest ignorance.   You're fortunate that you have an understanding that transcends that kind of crap.

The understanding that I am gaining is primarily thanks to you and others that have helped me with advice as well as all the reading I have done here on the forum. Both the wikis and all the help you guys give out daily to other folks. 

It's my health.  I figure I better know what's going on.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2017, 12:17 PM)Marillion Wrote: They expressed surprise that I was adjusting my own settings on my machine and strongly warned me against it.  "We've had people puncture their lung by using the wrong pressure for them because they adjusted their own settings..."  me "Really?  That doesn't sound very plausible without some kind of underlying medical condition...but even so it sounds a bit hard to believe."

I can't imagine what the national death toll must be from lungs punctured from blowing up children's party balloons (which takes a much higher pressure).  I will never take that risk again!  The fact that they are still legal is simply shocking! 

Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2017, 06:06 PM)chill Wrote:
(04-11-2017, 12:17 PM)Marillion Wrote: They expressed surprise that I was adjusting my own settings on my machine and strongly warned me against it.  "We've had people puncture their lung by using the wrong pressure for them because they adjusted their own settings..."  me "Really?  That doesn't sound very plausible without some kind of underlying medical condition...but even so it sounds a bit hard to believe."

I can't imagine what the national death toll must be from lungs punctured from blowing up children's party balloons (which takes a much higher pressure).  I will never take that risk again!  The fact that they are still legal is simply shocking! 

Too-funny

Hey Chill.  You don't happen to be with Pacific Blue Cross by any chance?  I'm wondering how they will approach equipment replenishment...
Post Reply Post Reply
No, my insurance is through SunLife.  They have given me no problems at all with extra masks and parts.  I just got a note from my DME to bring my machine in for a yearly calibration check, progress chat, and any disposables that I might need (they bill insurance directly).  So sort of a sales call but they have been pretty supportive and helpful - for a DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to hear. Can I ask what DME company you are with? As you can tell, I'm not so pleased with mine. But depending on the rules I may have to stay with them. Not sure how that works.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 187 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Mode and Pressure settings missing; yesterday's shown. Captain Howdy 2 478 10-11-2023, 02:32 AM
Last Post: Captain Howdy
  Help preparing for first doc visit in 4 years fishfinderG 24 1,876 01-09-2023, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
Sad Yesterday got CSR (Cheyne Strokes)on my report. Should I be worried? TonytheTiger 2 634 09-09-2022, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Follow Up Visit & Sleep Study is here :) Abletree 1 657 11-28-2021, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Abletree
  Medicare FACE-TO-FACE "Compliance" visit? Night Train 7 1,053 07-21-2021, 08:19 PM
Last Post: Night Train
  Questions to ask between at-home study and consult visit? Trader Joe 17 1,664 10-22-2020, 04:13 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.