So I took a clonopin and called the insurance company ....
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: So I took a clonopin and called the insurance company ....
Check out SecondWind, Supplier #2 in our Supplier's List (link at top of every page). They have the PR 760 that iSnore mentions for $650 plus $70 for humidifier or $75 for the conversion kit to turn it into one that takes a heated hose.

As for "converting to CSA", no, that doesn't happen. They are two different beasties. A person can have both but having one doesn't mean you have the other or that you are more inclined to get the other or that you will develop the other. CSA is a brain thing, OSA is a throat thing. Basically.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-17-2015 07:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
iSnore Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Phillips-Respironics DS560TS REMstar Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: Phillips-Respironics DS6T Heated Tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-13 A-Flex 2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: SYSTEM ONE resistance set to X1 for P10

Sex: Male
Complex Sleep Apnea - "CompSA consists of all or predominantly obstructive apneas which convert to all or predominantly central apneas when treated with a CPAP or bilevel devices."
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2015 10:07 PM by iSnore.)
04-17-2015 08:36 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Yes, but that's not what the OP meant.

So now they are officially acknowledging CPAP induced CA events? Because this Complex SA is different from Mixed SA.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-18-2015 03:56 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(04-17-2015 08:36 PM)iSnore Wrote:  Complex Sleep Apnea - "CompSA consists of all or predominantly obstructive apneas which convert to all or predominantly central apneas when treated with a CPAP or bilevel devices."

I think PaulaO2 was merely pointing out that obstructive apneas and central apneas are different in nature or cause, and CPAP therapy does not cause one to "convert" into the other.

Although some in the medical community may use the terminology "obstructive apneas which convert to" central apneas, I think language which is more clear would be "obstructive apneas which are replaced by" central apneas.

An example would be if a fraturnity moves out of a building and a sorority moves in, I think it would be more clear to say the male occupants were replaced by females, rather than the male occupants were converted to females.

CPAP therapy can cause obstructive apneas to go away and, in a small minority, can cause central apneas to appear (at least temporarily).

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2015 06:17 PM by vsheline.)
04-18-2015 05:35 PM
iSnore Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Phillips-Respironics DS560TS REMstar Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: Phillips-Respironics DS6T Heated Tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-13 A-Flex 2

Other Comments: SYSTEM ONE resistance set to X1 for P10

(04-18-2015 03:56 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Yes, but that's not what the OP meant.

So now they are officially acknowledging CPAP induced CA events? Because this Complex SA is different from Mixed SA.

Paula,
I gotta admit when I saw a forum moderator with over 7,000 posts say, "As for "converting to CSA", no, that doesn't happen." I was pretty shocked.

I've only been digging CPAP info for a couple of weeks and every place I've been defines Complex Apnea as that. Then it occurred to me perhaps some of you old-timers who haven't kept up with modern day apnea science haven't heard of it. And I certainly mean no disrespect by that. Complex IS different than Mixed Apnea, which is a mix of OS and CS pre-therapy or unrelated to the therapy.

At any rate, I've been trying to get the OP not to buy even a bi-level out of pocket, since he may find it increases CSAs and he really needs an ASV. I'm pretty sure he was responding to that.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2015 05:51 PM by iSnore.)
04-18-2015 05:36 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

(04-18-2015 05:36 PM)iSnore Wrote:  Paula,
I gotta admit when I saw a forum moderator with over 7,000 posts say, "As for "converting to CSA", no, that doesn't happen." I was pretty shocked.

I've only been digging CPAP info for a couple of weeks and every place I've been defines Complex Apnea as that. Then it occurred to me perhaps some of you old-timers who haven't kept up with modern day apnea science haven't heard of it.

Not a ten foot pole long enough for me to touch that.

Quote:And I certainly mean no disrespect by that. Complex IS different than Mixed Apnea, which is a mix of OS and CS pre-therapy or unrelated to the therapy.

At any rate, I've been trying to get the OP not to buy even a bi-level out of pocket, since he may find it increases CSAs and he really needs an ASV. I'm pretty sure he was responding to that.

Then I'll leave you to answer his questions. Sorry to have interrupted.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

04-18-2015 11:52 PM
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(04-18-2015 05:36 PM)iSnore Wrote:  Paula,

I've only been digging CPAP info for a couple of weeks and every place I've been defines Complex Apnea as that. Then it occurred to me perhaps some of you old-timers who haven't kept up with modern day apnea science haven't heard of it.

That's a bit rich coming from somebody with no machine yet.

Quote: And I certainly mean no disrespect by that.

Yeah, a bit like the graduate engineer who told me I'm old school. He didn't mean disrespect either but he doesn't work for me any more!

And to repeat what Paula said - obstructive apnea does not convert to central. I suggest you read Vern's explanation above.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

04-19-2015 03:37 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(04-17-2015 07:26 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  CSA is a brain thing, OSA is a throat thing. Basically.

(04-17-2015 08:36 PM)iSnore Wrote:  Complex Sleep Apnea - "CompSA consists of all or predominantly obstructive apneas which convert to all or predominantly central apneas when treated with a CPAP or bilevel devices."

The abbreviation CSA can mean either "central sleep apnea" or I suppose "complex sleep apnea".

If you truly have central sleep apnea (or mixed sleep apnea, which consists of both central and obstructive sleep apnea) then it's something that exists when you're sleeping without a CPAP machine.

Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is the most common type, which is the well-known condition where your airway collapses. What can happen when you sleep with a CPAP machine designed to treat OSA is that you start having apneas even though your airway is not obstructed. People refer to this as CPAP-induced central apnea. Sometimes the condition is temporary and it subsides on its own, in other cases it doesn't and then treatment becomes difficult. Lowering the pressure can reduce the frequency of non-obstructive apneas, but it could be at the expense of increasing the frequency of obstructive apneas and hypopneas. An auto-adjusting CPAP machine might be helpful here as it can allow one to spend more time at lower pressures helping decrease the frequency of non-obstructive apneas, and allow one to spend time at higher pressures only when needed to reduce the frequency of obstructive apneas and hyponeas.

Less known, but nevertheless documented, is the inducement of non-obstructive apneas when you sleep with a bi-level CPAP machine (also known as a BiPAP or VPAP machine). All of what I said above still applies, but additionally one can reduce the pressure support (difference between the two pressure levels of the bi-level therapy) to help treat it.

Buying a machine designed to treat central sleep apnea when it doesn't exist, just to cover your bases in case it's induced by a CPAP machine, is a gamble. Personally, I wouldn't advise taking that gamble as I don't see it as being worth the huge extra cost for the slim chance that it might be needed. One can get a used CPAP machine. It's a third alternative for the OP who is considering a new machine versus the suggestion of a used ASV machine.

(Note that I have used the term "non-obstructive" so as to avoid the confusion over the difference between central apneas and clear-airway apneas. One needs more than a CPAP machine to determine if a clear-airway apnea really is a central apnea. Respironics makes this distinction, ResMed does not, and it leads to confusion interlaced with the other confusions I'm trying to address.)

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

04-19-2015 10:54 AM
Mark Douglas Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Sys 1 (60) RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex 760P Auto Bi-Level (Variabl
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: PR Wisp
Humidifier: PR Sys One heated
CPAP Pressure: RiseTime 3 Fxd E-9.0 / I-11.5

Other Comments: Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

So let me see if I have a very basic understanding of the Obstructive Sleep Apnea to Central Sleep Apnea or some combination thereof phenomenon from what I read here?

1. The impetus to breath comes from CO2 content.
Oxygen content does NOT initiate this process.
2. I would imagine after years of belabored breathing the body adapts to higher levels of CO2 as normal and so it takes a higher level of CO2 to initiate breathing.
3. Upon CPAP therapy respiration improves (possibly dramatically)
4. Body now sees reduced CO2 , to what should be normal level, as indication there is no need to breath.
5. CPAP machine sees this as a problem and an autoCPAP may surge to a higher PAP pressure aggravating body's confusion - especially if high upper pressure level setpoint available.
6. A bi-levelCPAP machine may aggravate this effect even more than other machines because exhalation is improved and the lungs collapse more than would with a straight CPAP or autoCPAP machine.

If this is correct using any PAP machine will raise the possibility of induced CSA.
An autoPAP even more so.
And using a bi-levelCPAP increases this chance beyond the first two.
In time the body may respond to the new normal CO2 level and the CSAs retreat???

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
04-20-2015 10:34 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

(04-20-2015 10:34 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote:  So let me see if I have a very basic understanding of the Obstructive Sleep Apnea to Central Sleep Apnea or some combination thereof phenomenon from what I read here?

1. The impetus to breath comes from CO2 content.
Oxygen content does NOT initiate this process.
2. I would imagine after years of belabored breathing the body adapts to higher levels of CO2 as normal and so it takes a higher level of CO2 to initiate breathing.
3. Upon CPAP therapy respiration improves (possibly dramatically)
4. Body now sees reduced CO2 , to what should be normal level, as indication there is no need to breath.
5. CPAP machine sees this as a problem and an autoCPAP may surge to a higher PAP pressure aggravating body's confusion - especially if high upper pressure level setpoint available.
6. A bi-levelCPAP machine may aggravate this effect even more than other machines because exhalation is improved and the lungs collapse more than would with a straight CPAP or autoCPAP machine.

If this is correct using any PAP machine will raise the possibility of induced CSA.
An autoPAP even more so.
And using a bi-levelCPAP increases this chance beyond the first two.
In time the body may respond to the new normal CO2 level and the CSAs retreat???

I am going to step into this morass to say one thing. The auto machines do not respond to apneas where they can sense no obstruction.

Before they developed methods for sensing the patency of the airway the auto machines would not respond to any apnea that occurred at a pressure of over 12 cm/H2O (I think that is the correct cut-off) in order to avoid potentially making the situation worse.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
04-20-2015 11:41 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Insurance won't pay for power cord? CharlotteYork 13 905 11-17-2016 11:58 PM
Last Post: tzk321
Sad Help Finding A Machine, No Insurance SJGino 23 789 11-17-2016 09:03 PM
Last Post: SJGino
Angry INSURANCE RECORDS: DO YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW? srlevine1 5 556 11-15-2016 06:31 PM
Last Post: Galactus
  [CPAP] Insurance / Getting first CPAP rjbbjr 14 628 11-11-2016 01:06 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  can company keep parts from kit? KarKat 15 831 08-15-2016 10:57 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  Insurance woes: Who has my "compliance" and "post pap" documentation? luminous 8 1,296 08-15-2016 12:09 AM
Last Post: SaldusMiegas
  ASV and Insurance Question rozenbob 15 717 08-06-2016 08:43 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing