Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

So I took a clonopin and called the insurance company ....
So I took a clonopin and called the insurance company ....
....and spent a while working my way through the dialing tree to finally speak to a polite lady who says I gotta call something called carecentrix to answer my questions about equipment and costs ... (Thanks Jan!) so I call THEM and another polite lady makes it clear she won't say anything of value. I persist and she says I must have a sleep study authorization and then the study and the the results go and then they will see what provide best fits my needs blah blah blah. Well can you at least tell who your DME supplier is in the Cincinnati area? No can do and repeats canned speech.

Curious now I search carecentrix and find their website full of unicorns and pink rainbows and they claim an amazing 95% happy customer base ...... further searching carecentrix+complaints reveals a whole lotta people not so impressed and then on to carecentrix+complaints+cpap and boy did I get eyeful. Apparently there is a good chance I will be resold to something called Caprica which sounded cool until it became clear this had nothing to Battlestar Galactica but did have a worse rep than the Cylons.....

It is a chunk of money for an old retired guy and I almost had myself talked into trying to be patient and give the system a chance but now I'm thinking I drive 20 minutes to 1800cpap tomorrow morning and walk out $1000 lighter but out the door ready to rock and I don't need no stinking compliance badge. Don't have to deal with some Doc that resents my meddling in my own healthcare and has forgotten I AM ultimately the customer.

Why does this have to be so damned complicated?
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: So I took a clonopin and called the insurance company ....
Caprica huh?

I have seen many references to Crapria or something to that effect on here. You might search for that altered spelling on here if you need some more info on them.
Post Reply Post Reply
A couple thoughts… Are you sure the $1,000 mono-level automatic setup will be enough for you--and that you won't need a $2,000 bilevel setup? You can probably get that bipap setup gently used for the same $1,000. If you live north of the river, you might also pay sales tax in Mason. Edit: maybe not on medical gear.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2015, 05:02 PM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote: Caprica huh?

I have seen many references to Crapria or something to that effect on here. You might search for that altered spelling on here if you need some more info on them.
Sorry. Aprica. Remeber the clonopin :grin:

(04-16-2015, 05:35 PM)iSnore Wrote: A couple thoughts… Are you sure the $1,000 mono-level automatic setup will be enough for you--and that you won't need a $2,000 bilevel setup? You can probably get that bipap setup gently used for the same $1,000. If you live north of the river, you might also pay sales tax in Mason. Edit: maybe not on medical gear.

That is a great question and I will give it further thought.
Post Reply Post Reply
In the US, you need a prescription to buy a machine.

By clonopin, I assume you refer to Clonazepam.
That's a high potency (on a per mg basis) long half-life benzodiazapine.
Beware of dependency; and possible effects on sleep apnea.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Mark, have you got a sleep study booked yet, or gone to your GP to ask for one? You sound like you are chomping at the bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2015, 06:12 PM)justMongo Wrote: In the US, you need a prescription to buy a machine.

By clonopin, I assume you refer to Clonazepam.
That's a high potency (on a per mg basis) long half-life benzodiazapine.
Beware of dependency; and possible effects on sleep apnea.

I do have Rx just not in the time frame to suit the ins co. I really could not care less about Rx if I just pay cash for a private party machine. I'd love to get into why medical in the USA costs so much but this isn't the place for a political discussion.

I appreciate your concern on the clonopin/klonopin I have seen both spellings.
I have been using it on an as needed basis for over 10 yrs and proven to my Drs over the years I can be trusted with it.
Learning about the ravages of this malady makes me hopeful if I can get the OSA under control the anxiety will go away. Who knew there is a direct link from GAD to OSA?
Post Reply Post Reply
If your insurance company doesn't consider your older sleep study to be valid for a current purchase, then they should be willing to cover a new one and perhaps a titration. Without that, you don't know if you need that $1,000 CPAP or $2,000 bilevel setup.

And even with it, are you sure you won't develop complex apnea in response to your chosen therapy, and need a $4,000 ASV setup? It would sure be handy to be able to return the first unit and get the ASV with only a bit more copay.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mark,
I can understand you not wanting to deal with the insurance mafia, but I have to agree with iSnore (previous post) that you don't know what type of machine you might need.

It is too expensive to buy outright, then find out it is not treating your specific apnea.
Have you looked into doing a home study? Talk to your doctor about your concerns, they have a lot of resources and can guide you.

Whatever you decide, it is way past time for you to make a decision and move on it.
Your health and well being are at stake, not just for you, but for those that love you!
Take care.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you do go to 800ccrap be sure you get the return insurance if offered.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,517 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,861 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 431 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Wink CPAP machine and supplies? Insurance or not? Fatheaded 13 1,575 11-26-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Question on Sleep Study and Insurance mawaw1992 11 904 10-29-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: mawaw1992

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.