Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

So...Would Central Apnea be something thats consistent every night or variable?
RE: So...Would Central Apnea be something thats consistent every night or variable?
(04-25-2019, 04:00 PM)Broomstick Wrote: One would expect that OSA would vary night to night as it can depend on your sleep position, etc. But should CSA be consistent or would the severity be different every time you sleep?

I find that my central events vary wildly.  They mostly occur during REM sleep, i.e., about every 1.5 hours and last for longer periods the longer that I sleep.  If I do anything that might decrease my amount of REM sleep, the rate of centrals goes down.  If I do something that increases my amount of REM sleep, I have a lot more centrals.  

So, for example, if I only sleep about 6 hours, then I have far fewer central apneas, because I miss the final and longest REM stage.  If I consume caffeine during the day or try to sleep in new bed, my rate of centrals goes way down.  If I didn't sleep well last night, then I'll probably get more REM sleep tonight and the central rate will go up.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: So...Would Central Apnea be something thats consistent every night or variable?
OK, here is what a Sleep Medicine physician (friend, not my own Sleep Doc) said to me - one cause of CA is increasing pressure in the CPAP machine. It delivers more air to the alveoli (small sacs at the end of the bronchial tree in the lungs), and the relative increase in oxygen concentration (from normal level to slightly higher than normal level) is detected in the brain which then sends a signal to pause in breathing. I believe he said that this is not a normal response, but that it is triggered sometimes by an increase in pressure. So one thing to check would be increasing pressures prior to the CA event(s). If that should be happening intermittently, it's worth asking your sleep physician about.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 596 4 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,522 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,404 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 862 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 271 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.