Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

So......are you done......
So......are you done......
.......purchasing Chinese products yet? I'm a member of several various forums and the vast majority of those members say that they are. 

I haven't purchased a Chinese product in decades. But, that's not to say that I don't possess a few things. How I came to own them is beyond me. They are items of little value. 

Anyways, it seems as if a backlash is beginning to take shape. Time will tell............. Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: So......are you done......
I think we're going to see a LOT LESS dependence upon any foreign suppliers for key products that we need... especially pharmaceuticals.

The low "China price" caused by outsourcing everything to cheap, Chinese near-slave-labor has brought about a huge COST to the entire world.  And that's not a dig against the hard-working Chinese people -- but rather a swipe at the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) who is the enemy of the Chinese people and the world.

But to large multinational corporations who want no restrictions on world trade, it's all about getting "the lowest prices possible" without regard to how those prices are realized.  Those execs know the PRICE of everything and the VALUE of nothing.

The coming Greater Depression will reveal the weakness of these types of policies, and our absolute stupidity for moving away from a manufacturing economy to a service economy and an over-reliance upon made-in-China stuff.  That decision is going to bite us HARD soon.

Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

#apneaboard
Post Reply Post Reply
Well said, and I agree with you! The Chinese citizens have been treated like dogs for eons. They are hard working and not fairly compensated. That is in part, the fault of other nations doing business with China, by not requiring / demanding higher pay and improved work conditions for those citizens. 

Until other nations change, China won't.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Not to sound pessimistic, but Americans unfortunately are fickle. If and when our economy comes back, people will still lead with the pocketbook to buy the cheapest AND less costly items from wherever. We are a "throw-away" society and will slip back into that familiarity very soon.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(04-19-2020, 02:26 PM)S.L. Ping Beauty Wrote: We are a "throw-away" society and will slip back into that familiarity very soon.

Unfortunately, I fear you're correct, with the general rule that people who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

But even now, at a time when the majority of products are manufactured overseas, try finding products currently manufactured in the U.S.  Sometimes consumers have black-and-white choices-- either buy from overseas manufacturers, or don't buy at all (because there are no domestic manufacturers for many products).

I seriously doubt that the multinational corporations will all of a sudden become more concerned about what's good for any particular nation, since they have no loyalties to any single country, even if they're based in the U.S. - they care more about what's good for their stock price.

Cool
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

#apneaboard
Post Reply Post Reply
We can't avoid buying ALL Chinese-made products, because (as has been said already) they are often the only choice available.

What is possible though, is a slow and strategic withdrawal from almost total dependence on China for manufactured goods. For me, this would focus on three objectives:

1) Rebuild the West's manufacturing capacity for high added-value products such as cars, computers, electronics, appliances, etc. We could continue to use China for the manufacture of simple goods such as footballs, tee shirts and cutlery.

2) Each nation should rebuild its capacity for the manufacture of 'strategically important' goods such as telecommunications hardware, medical equipment and pharmaceuticals.

3) Cease all research collaboration with China that is likely to produce valuable and/or strategically-important IP.

However, doing this will require that citizens accept there will be a price to pay, in the form of higher costs. Wages in the West (and the costs of doing business) are substantially higher than in Asia and this will inevitably mean prices go up. Governments will have a vital role in this, by both educating people in why it has to happen and what the long term benefits are, but also in crafting legislation that ensures ALL workers and industries are given equal protection/opportunities, because this initiative will fail if only the jobs of higher paid workers are saved while the low skilled are sacrificed. Where it is simply not economically possible to save or rebuild a particular industry, efforts should be made to provide re-training and encourage business diversification.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have avoided discretionary products made in China for years now. Also. I am not an excessive consumer. At this point in life I need little in the way of new things.

I have found a lot of labels are deliberately misleading with prominent comments like "designed in xx"

There are a lot of other manufacturing countries to choose from ...... Taiwan, Vietnam, Indonesia, India to name a few.

One tactic I recommend is turn the item over and look at the "Made in China" and then ask the salesperson if they have something made elsewhere. If we all started doing this I think we could make a change. I am an eternal optimist.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I went to Walmart a day or so ago to buy a new inner tube for my mountain bike. The price difference between a standard tube and an extra heavy-duty tune was only $2.00.

I went with the heavy duty tube. It's box was marked GoodYear in big, bold letters. 80% thicker than most tubes. Got home and ready to install the new tube, only to find out it was made in China.  Oh-jeez

I should have looked more closely at the box and where the tube was made.  Crazy
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.