Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

So cleaner machine
Video 
So cleaner machine
I'm thinking of purchasing a So sanitizing machine and did read some positive comments. The most important reason for me would be is that we travel many months in a Motorhome and it is challenging and concerning to me with the water that comes from not only all the locations but the plumbing in our motorhome. We purchase bottled water for drinking and using the water from the coach to try to sanitize seems wrong. Has anyone purchased this machine? They told me the cost is $300.
Thanks !!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: So cleaner machine
I think the machine is a waste of money.

You can use the bottled drinking water in your humidifier. As far as cleaning goes, if it's good enough for the dishes it's good enough for the CPAP machine. It's not rocket science. If you're worried about it you can use a disinfectant like Control III in the wash water.

Units like So-Clean, even for those who buy them, are no substitute for regular cleaning. They are at best a supplement. The worst thing about them is the danger they pose to people who think they can use them in place of cleaning.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Positive comments about the SoClean2 are few and far between. Glad you were able to find some.

The machine could be free, and I'd still not be interested. Basic cleaning accomplishes everything that is necessary, and failing to clean is not resolve by using that machine. Good luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can wash your dishes in it, you can wash your machine parts in it. If you can then eat off your plates after cleaning them in that water, then you can use your machine after cleaning it with that water. If you can drink that water, you can put it in your humidifier.

The SoClean doesn't "clean" and it's sanitation assumption is done after you clean it. So....kinda like what restaurants have to do. They hand wash their dishes then have to put them through a sanitizer. The dishes are clean(ish) when they go in. The sanitizer uses very hot water and sometimes steam to "sanitize" the dishes. If someone left a glob of potatoes on a plate, that glob is probably still there. Is that glob now sanitized, too? Nope. Will the ozone in the SoClean sanitize the glob of potato? Nope.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
That and my other concern would be the effect of ozone on the parts.

Ozone is highly reactive (part of why it is good against biological contaminants....it burns them up via oxidation), but that will also mean the potential for impacts and extreme aging to your CPAP components. Yes, there is oxygen in the air that causes oxidation, but we design for that (hence useful lives of products). Add in more in a highly reactive form and you could be adding in the need to replace your ozone sanitized parts far more frequently (faster aging) or even immediately (as in the ozone destroyed the part(s) and now you need a new one).
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone! I just saved $300!
Post Reply Post Reply
Invest instead in an extra mask, hose, and extra humidifier tub. That way you can switch between sets and give the spare a really good cleaning and soak in either Control III or a mild vinegar solution. Then rinse well, let them dry, and put away until next needed. It will extend the life of your masks.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
We also travel in a motor home a lot, an I just clean good with regular dishwashing solution. I do not usually use the humidifer when traveling, mainly just at home where the AC or gas heat lower inside humidity. At home, good regular cleaning is usually sufficient, and I always use DISTILLED water only. This is due to the mineral content in household water, and added minerals for taste in most bottled water. In the humidifier, as the water is evaporated, whatever minerals that are left is what causes coating and deposits in the tank, as well as in your home plumbing, sinks, faucets, and toilet tanks. Distilled or ionized water contains nothing but pure H2O,, and leaves no deposits. Another simple trick that I like is to rinse the tank with a mint or wintergreen mouthwash after cleaning. When distilled water is added, the mint lends a pleasant scent to the air you are breathing. I have been using CPAP for over 25 years, and have never had any mineral, mold, or bacteria built-up in mask, hose, ot humidifier. And I tend to be quite lax with cleaning.
Thanks Sleep-well[/font]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  VirtuClean CPAP Ozone Cleaner moondoggy 16 4,525 03-08-2024, 10:11 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,128 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Purdoux [CPAP mask & hose cleaner] Mrzocor 2 587 06-24-2023, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Mrzocor
  New CPAP cleaner djfro 3 717 03-22-2023, 07:40 AM
Last Post: djfro
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,787 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,319 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Equipment] CPAP cleaner recommendation smallur 14 3,957 09-22-2021, 08:11 PM
Last Post: archangle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.