Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

So comfy, I thought it wasn't working
RE: So comfy, I thought it wasn't working
(01-19-2017, 08:54 PM)Russatrice Wrote: I have a question, Hydrangea, why where you described CPAP if your sleep study showed an AHI of 1.1?

I don't know what 1.1 AHI means. I saw it on a page on one of my sleep study reports. So... I really don't know what I'm talking about... but I'm trying to speak the right language here.

My sleep dr said I have a mild case (according to my sleep study), but that it's likely that when I'm *at home* it is worse since I'm more relaxed. My symptomology is what especially validated the need for CPAP (spouse says I stop breathing, gasp, choke in my sleep; I am *constantly* dog-tired despite getting 10+ hours of sleep per day; always have headaches/migraines; my throat closes when I am trying to fall asleep; etc.).

My titrated sleep study was amazing - I had REM sleep, and I woke up feeling refreshed (didn't even know that was possible), clear-headed (again, shocking!), and I was productive the entire day (WOW!).

These past 6 days on CPAP have been wonderful. I wake up able to think clearly and feeling more rested after 5 hours of sleep (on CPAP) than 10 hours of sleep with no CPAP. One morning, I never even yawned!

So... ??
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the info and support. Good to know it's all good... and always changing. LOL

Sonicboom - I'll keep that in mind about the dry eye and venting. I think I'm in the wrong size right now, so perhaps a smaller size (which likely will fit me better) will point more at my eye? We'll see. (I'm going to ask DME for a medium next time I'm there.)
Post Reply Post Reply
The AHI of 1.1 was likely from the titration study and proving that the titrated pressure was effectively treating your apnea.

For the first week, you are doing amazingly well!

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
One day soon you'll wake up, get out of bed, and get half way to the bathroom before you realize you're still attached to the hose, lol. Just means you are adjusting, and adjusting well. Congrads.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2017, 10:48 PM)chill Wrote: The AHI of 1.1 was likely from the titration study and proving that the titrated pressure was effectively treating your apnea.

Ooooooh. Oh-jeez Too-funny That makes more sense.

(01-19-2017, 10:48 PM)chill Wrote: For the first week, you are doing amazingly well!

Sleep-well

Thanks Dancing

I feel like it's very psychological, allowing myself to have a mask on me... and still relax and allow myself to fall sleep... and to breathe only through my nose. Pure craziness! But hey, if I feel better in the day, then yay!
(01-19-2017, 11:44 PM)Galactus Wrote: One day soon you'll wake up, get out of bed, and get half way to the bathroom before you realize you're still attached to the hose, lol. Just means you are adjusting, and adjusting well. Congrads.

Haha! I can totally see how that can happen!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, that makes sense now. It's great to hear what difference the treatment makes for you, and literally from day one! It took me quite a bit longer but now I can totally agree that even when I get only five to six hours of sleep, I'm more rested than in nine hours before CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2017, 07:55 PM)ppca Wrote: That's great, congrats!

I've had 5 nights so far, and just like you're saying, I am not bothered too much with the mask (P10), or the air blowing up my nose. That's all much better, than what I expected, much easier than when I gave this my first try, 3 years ago.

However, the damn hose is the one I can't stand. Even though I'm using headboard to bring the hose down, and that works well, it is constantly close to my face and touching my head. It keeps waking me up when I try to turn in the bed. I am a side sleeper and like to turn a lot, from left to right, and the other way around. With the hose present, it is not an easy task.

Reading your post was definitely great. It gives all of us newbies a lot of hope.

Sleep-well

I'm using the wisp and the headband has a provision for the short hose to tuck through it. This way, the hose is always in front and going above, thus it won't get in the way when you turn left or right on the pillow.

You can try to use an elastic band or otherwise to tie the hose up with the headband if your model has one on the top.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2017, 04:11 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Last night was my 6th night on CPAP, and it was my best night thus far. In fact, both times I woke up (dogs, kids, ya know), I thought the CPAP wasn't working. The other mornings when I've woken up, I was VERY conscious of the blowing up my nose. But this morning I couldn't even tell it was blowing, and I actually thought I'd forgotten to turn it on. (I hadn't; it was working just fine.)

So... does that mean anything?

Also, it was my first night of 0.0 AHI. (My sleep study showed a 1.1 AHI. And my previous 5 nights on CPAP were between .86 AHI and 2.5 AHI.)

Just curious if I can read anything into it, or if this is just a dynamic ever-changing weird thing I've got up my nose for the rest of my life.

Totally happy for you that you've taken so well to cpap! Smile Sleep-well
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2017, 01:33 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote: You can try to use an elastic band or otherwise to tie the hose up with the headband if your model has one on the top.

The idea of having the hose on top of the mask sounds great, but I read quite a few comments here about DreamWear nasal mask, from people who are saying that it is not the best solution for a side sleeper (like myself).

The soft hose covers could be something I might start looking into.

Thanks everyone for these helpful hints.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Well, I thought I had AHI under control... LookingForACleverHandle 15 908 7 hours ago
Last Post: LookingForACleverHandle
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 318 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 143 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 192 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 478 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  The Nose Is Weirder Than We Thought Lucid 15 1,501 11-24-2023, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Treatment] new to this - is it working? human 7 557 11-04-2023, 11:45 AM
Last Post: human

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.