Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

So far so good? SleepyHead report #1
RE: So far so good? SleepyHead report #1
(11-16-2014, 06:22 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote: So...I start trying again to get in to see my sleep doc/his PA to answer my questions about why all the centrals and what's the Cheyne-Stokes all about? (Remember--I had centrals without any pressure, and I don't think I've suffered any TBIs or had any strokes or anything.)

Wikipedia article on CSR:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheyne–Stokes_respiration

With me, I think the reason I have centrals and CSR is because my pulse is slow, and my circulation is slow. Slow circulation is one of the things which tends to make respiration unstable. When sleeping it is not unusual for my pulse to be in the 40's or 30's. Very rarely, it may dip a little below 30 beats per minute while asleep.

(My cardiologist is keeping an eye on it, in case I need a pacemaker soon.)

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a PSA on sleep hygeine:

It is not a good thing to read or watch TV while in bed. The bed should be used for two things: sleeping and sexual activities . Nothing else. The body remembers where it is and what it was doing. To sleep best, you should only go to bed when tired. Put on the mask and lay down. By going to bed earlier, putting on the mask, and then reading, you are not teaching the body and brain what to do. So on the nights you go to bed and you don't read, but you lay right down, you may not fall asleep. Your body says "Where's the book? We aren't ready yet." It has gotten used to the book being the sleeping pill or the step before.

Read the book elsewhere if you need to unwind before laying down. Watch TV elsewhere, too. Television is even worse than a book because of the way it engages our brains in a totally different way.

Make putting on the mask part of your "time to go to sleep" ritual. Our body and brain grow to accept it easier this way.

Google "Sleep Hygiene" for a plethora of tips and articles.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula, all very good reminders about maintaining good sleep habits. Especially now that my mind MUST work with the rest of my body to help therapy do its thing.

Thank you.
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
The fact that most of my apneas are "clear airway" certainly has me concerned! The fewest I have had is 28, and the most, 40.

Without those, I would easily be in the normal range for apneas. It makes me wonder if a CPAP is even necessary for my particular mix of apneas.

What kinds of tests are there to determine the cause of central and/or clear-airway AHIs? (I'm off to don my researcher hat yet again....)

Lamb

AHI=18
Post Reply Post Reply
Clear Airway Events!
Last night, I had 34 clear-airway events!

Today is a snow day. When our city's major university is closed, so is the agency for which I work. I hope I can get to the sleep center tomorrow for my appointment!

By the way, in case the thought had crossed your mind, yes...I am obese. My entire adult life, I was a size 2-4. And then when I turned 52, things really started to go haywire. I've been on meds (including steroids several times) that caused my body to change altogether. My normal body temp is well below 98.6, I gained 60 pounds (10 of which I've lost in the past couple of months--yay) and, after all kinds of tests, was diagnosed with an abundance of maladies. One of them is fibromyalgia. I used to exercise every morning and night (mat and weights), and then I couldn't even bend my knees without excruciating pain that would last for weeks. My wrists were painful and incredibly unstable. Bottom line? I have felt like I'm 100 years old. I get that exercise is good, but when even the least little movement leaves me in unrelenting pain, hard choices need to be made.

My weight is a sad, sad consequence.

My PCP told me that when fibro was first diagnosed, one doctor in particular proved that he could manifest its symptoms in test subjects by sleep deprivation. I am so praying that I can get my sleep apnea under control and see all (most of) these health issues dissolve.

Until then, is it the chicken or the egg?

Lamb

AHI=18
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2014, 06:43 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote: The fact that most of my apneas are "clear airway" certainly has me concerned! The fewest I have had is 28, and the most, 40.

Without those, I would easily be in the normal range for apneas. It makes me wonder if a CPAP is even necessary for my particular mix of apneas.

Hi Lamb,

Without CPAP your obstructive apneas would be much worse.

If the average number of central apneas per hour (CAI) when being treated and actually asleep, not when just masked up but not yet asleep, is not at least 5.0 then I think insurance companies in USA will not cover an ASV machine, which is the best type of CPAP machine for treating any combination of obstructive sleep apnea plus central apneas or CSR or Periodic Breathing.

I've heard some insurance companies don't cover ASV machines unless the CAI is at least 10 or 15, which would be higher than your CAI is now.

The point is your present CAI is borderline now.

During the first weeks and months, as we get used to the CPAP therapy our CAI tends to go down. So, hopefully, your CAI will be even lower in a few more weeks or months.

So, unless some of the CA events are extremely long in duration, I don't think your doctor will be very concerned yet. Nor should you be worried yet, I think.

If your CAI during CPAP treatment remains for weeks and months at the borderline of mild mixed/complex sleep apnea, I think your doctor would either order an ASV titration or would try lowering the pressure a little to try to find an optimal lower pressure which may raise your Obstructive Apnea Index (OAI) a little but may also lower your CAI a lot.

In fact, you could ask the doc now to lower the pressure a little (like perhaps 8 instead of your present 9 cm H2O), with the idea of raising it again in a month or so, after you've gotten more accustomed to CPAP therapy.

In any case, I suggest it is best to not let yourself become alarmed, and to do research on what types of health conditions tend to cause CA events, and to let us know what you discover.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2014, 12:39 PM)vsheline Wrote: Without CPAP your obstructive apneas would be much worse.

Uh...oh yeah. How soon we forget. Man, apparently my CPAP hasn't helped my brain function just yet.

Sigh.Oh-jeez

AHI=18
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clear Airway Events!
(11-18-2014, 07:50 AM)Lambsydoats Wrote: Today is a snow day. When our city's major university is closed, so is the agency for which I work.

Which university if you do not mind my asking. Western Michigan University?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2014, 01:46 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(11-18-2014, 07:50 AM)Lambsydoats Wrote: Today is a snow day. When our city's major university is closed, so is the agency for which I work.

Yep--WMU. Kalamazoo College is even closed. That happens every, oh, three decades or so.

AHI=18
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2014, 04:24 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote:
(11-18-2014, 01:46 PM)PaytonA Wrote:

Yep--WMU. Kalamazoo College is even closed. That happens every, oh, three decades or so.

I asked because I lived in the Ann Arbor area and the Detroit area. Went to high school and college in the Detroit area.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 71 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 148 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 178 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 171 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.