Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

So far so good? SleepyHead report #1
So far so good? SleepyHead report #1
How does my first SleepyHead report look to you?

(By the way, I put my mask on when I first go to bed and then I read awhile--I don't really get 10 hours of sleep a night!)
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: So far so good? SleepyHead report #1
(11-15-2014, 06:51 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote: How does my first SleepyHead report look to you?

(By the way, I put my mask on when I first go to bed and then I read awhile--I don't really get 10 hours of sleep a night!)

Hi Lambsydoats,

Leaks are very small. Great going!

Looks like you are in CPAP mode with the Ramp Start Pressure set around 4 and the therapy Pressure set to 9.

Do you have EPR turned on?

It would be good to look at the detailed data graphs, to see when the events are occurring, to see how many events are occurring while you are reading. Sometimes we get central apneas while awake, especially while reading.

Looks like your AHI is mostly made up of central apnea events, but some of these may have occurred while you were reading, in which case they should not be counted when calculating the AHI, and the machine may be overestimating the number of central apneas while asleep.

Also looks like you spent 3.5% of the time in Cheyne Stokes Respiration (CSR), which is a form of central apneas. This would be about 21 minutes of CSR. Looking at the SleepyHead detailed data graphs, do you think you were still reading when these occurred?

Often, as our body becomes accustomed to breathing under pressure, the number of central apneas will gradually decrease until the number of Central Apnea events per hour becomes negligible after a few weeks or months.

How are you feeling?

--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2014, 01:38 AM)vsheline Wrote: Hi Lambsydoats,

Do you have EPR turned on?

It would be good to look at the detailed data graphs, to see when the events are occurring, to see how many events are occurring while you are reading. Sometimes we get central apneas while awake, especially while reading.

Looks like your AHI is mostly made up of central apnea events, but some of these may have occurred while you were reading, in which case they should not be counted when calculating the AHI, and the machine may be overestimating the number of central apneas while asleep.

Also looks like you spent 3.5% of the time in Cheyne Stokes Respiration (CSR), which is a form of central apneas. This would be about 21 minutes of CSR. Looking at the SleepyHead detailed data graphs, do you think you were still reading when these occurred?

Often, as our body becomes accustomed to breathing under pressure, the number of central apneas will gradually decrease until the number of Central Apnea events per hour becomes negligible after a few weeks or months.

How are you feeling?

--- Vaughn

Thank you for taking the time to look at my data, Vaughn. I really appreciate it.

I had centrals during my 2nd at-home test (i.e., no pressure), and could not get in to see the doctor or PA to discuss my concerns. (Unbelievable.)

I don't see where to turn on the EPR--or where to see whether it's already turned on.

Does this graph provide the detail you're asking about? I was not reading when the Cheyne-Stokes occurred.

Speaking of reading, I turned off the auto-start, and will start the machine just before I turn out the lights instead of having it running way before I'm ready to fall asleep. That should help with stats.

I'm feeling O.K. I've had a LOT of health issues (and heightened life stresses) over the past four years, and so it will take awhile before the effects of the CPAP will help with my overall sense of well-being. So it's hard for me to say there's much different yet. Yesterday I got up at a decent hour (8:00-ish), fed my furkids and took my pup outside, ate breakfast, and then went back to bed...until 4:28 p.m. So I have a bit of catching up to do apparently!

I'm eager to keep learning about all of this; thank you!

Lamb

AHI=18
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2014, 01:38 AM)vsheline Wrote: It would be good to look at the detailed data graphs, to see when the events are occurring, to see how many events are occurring while you are reading. Sometimes we get central apneas while awake, especially while reading.

I wish you would tell this to R_G. I do not think that he quite believed me.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Question 
This set of graphs may be more telling, yes?

So...I start trying again to get in to see my sleep doc/his PA to answer my questions about why all the centrals and what's the Cheyne-Stokes all about? (Remember--I had centrals without any pressure, and I don't think I've suffered any TBIs or had any strokes or anything.)

Unsure

Lamb

AHI=18
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2014, 06:22 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote: This set of graphs may be more telling, yes?

So...I start trying again to get in to see my sleep doc/his PA to answer my questions about why all the centrals and what's the Cheyne-Stokes all about? (Remember--I had centrals without any pressure, and I don't think I've suffered any TBIs or had any strokes or anything.)

Hi Lamb,

If we could see the Pressure or Mask Pressure plot, we may be able to tell whether EPR is on.

Also, I think SleepyHead has a settings screen which would include the EPR setting.

I think it is strange that the User Manual for the AirSense 10 CPAP/Elite/AutoSet/AutoSet For Her does not mention EPR.

Judging from the clinician set-up manual, it seems that EPR can be changed only from within the Clinician Menu, unlike with the S9 AutoSet.

The A10 clinician set-up manual says how to enable and set EPR, but (unlike with the S9 AutoSet) one of the possible values for the EPR setting is no longer "Patient", meaning patient controlled.

You do have the clinician set-up manual, right?

If your centrals and CSR persist after the first month then I would suggest trying the following:
1. Turn down EPR (if it is being used).
2. If turning down EPR does not help, then try turning down the Pressure by 1 or 2.

Either of these two things may reduce the incidence of central apnea and CSR, but the second one (reducing the Pressure setting by 1 or 2) would be expected to increase the number of obstructive events you would have.

If your centrals and CSR persist after the first month or two, perhaps you should ask for an ASV titration. But ASV machines do tend to cause more aerophagia (air swallowing), because the pressure at times will become higher (during apneas when it is ventilating us). But you could try it and see if it works okay for you.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mask Pressure
(11-16-2014, 09:10 PM)vsheline Wrote: If we could see the Pressure or Mask Pressure plot, we may be able to tell whether EPR is on.

Here is the mask-pressure plot.

Yes, I do have the clinician set-up manual. I'll check that if this doesn't tell you that it's on.

In SleepyHead, I see where I can check EP, RE, and/or EPAP, but no EPR.

Lamb

AHI=18
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Pressure
(11-16-2014, 09:24 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote:
(11-16-2014, 09:10 PM)vsheline Wrote: If we could see the Pressure or Mask Pressure plot, we may be able to tell whether EPR is on.

Here is the mask-pressure plot.

Yes, I do have the clinician set-up manual. I'll check that if this doesn't tell you that it's on.

In SleepyHead, I see where I can check EP, RE, and/or EPAP, but no EPR.

I don't see any indication in the Mask Pressure graph that EPR is enabled. So if the pressure does not bother you. I would suggest leaving EPR off for another week.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2014, 09:57 AM)Lambsydoats Wrote: Speaking of reading, I turned off the auto-start, and will start the machine just before I turn out the lights instead of having it running way before I'm ready to fall asleep. That should help with stats.

I used to do that (mask up when turning out the lights after reading), but I found myself occassionally falling asleep with the lights on and mask off, and the next day would be a total loss (headache, fatigue, mental fog), so I just mask up when I start to read and don't have to worry about that happening again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2014, 10:38 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(11-16-2014, 09:57 AM)Lambsydoats Wrote: Speaking of reading, I turned off the auto-start, and will start the machine just before I turn out the lights instead of having it running way before I'm ready to fall asleep. That should help with stats.

I used to do that (mask up when turning out the lights after reading), but I found myself occassionally falling asleep with the lights on and mask off, and the next day would be a total loss (headache, fatigue, mental fog), so I just mask up when I start to read and don't have to worry about that happening again.

Interestingly enough, I can probably count on one hand how many times in my life I've fallen asleep while reading or watching a movie (I don't watch TV). But watch...just when I want to be sure NOT to....

Lamb

AHI=18
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 196 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 146 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 175 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 169 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 806 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.