Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

So here's the thing
So here's the thing
My wife insists that since I get 7+ hours of sleep a day I must be well rested and the fact that I am not must mean I am crazy/insane/stupid/hateful - insert your insult here. I'm really at the point where I want to just toss the cpap aside and pray that I die in my sleep. Extreme? yeah maybe but why do those that do not understand what we go through, insist we must be making this up? That we use the fact that we have this thing called "apnea" to justify a bad mood/lack of energy/insert some reason to justify calling us a sloth/lazy/expletive here - I'm about ready to give up.Dont-know

She has lupus and her medication (steroids amongst other things) causes her to gain weight. You would never catch me saying anything in regards to that.

I toss in the towel.. waiter - check please. Crazy
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: So here's the thing
Your choice of course. Do you look at the data to see if there is a reason you're not feeling better? Other health issues? Sounds like things are pretty tough and CPAP does not necessarily cure depression. Sounds like you need to find additional help.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Even without apnea/cpap in the mix, different people need different amounts of sleep. Those who get by on 6-7 hours can't understand those who need 8-9 hours...

Plus it takes a while to "come back" after so many months/years of sleeping badly. Not sure how long "a while" is, but pretty sure it's not a couple of weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply

I spent my whole life being a "good boy" and I am now going to tale care of me!
Alan I'm thinking you too.
If you do not take care of yourself you cannot take care of anyone else.
If you are mobile I prescribe at least a 20 min a day x 2 walk outside. In my case it's more like an amble than a walk LOL
And yes it sounds like you need someone to talk to.
If you need 10 hrs sleep to feel good then do it.
Tell her I said so.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2015, 08:06 PM)AlanE Wrote: I'm really at the point where I want to just toss the cpap aside and pray that I die in my sleep.

Yep... That'll teach her by gum.......

(04-23-2015, 08:06 PM)AlanE Wrote: She has lupus and her medication (steroids amongst other things) causes her to gain weight. You would never catch me saying anything in regards to that.

No you won't. And that's very commendable. Steroids cause lots of stuff, not just weight gain. I'm sure you are aware of that. One of the things it can cause is mood changes, or more simply put making one less than nice at all times.

But while stuff like that might EXPLAIN some of your stresses, it certainly doesn't mean you should simply accept this as your reality. You do need to find out how to make Alan the primary person in this narrative for awhile. To do that counseling sessions might be very helpful. If you cannot do that for yourself, then maybe you could send your wife to counseling? Then you could take a nap while she's gone.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks its frustrating to say the least. Everyone (those without apnea) thinks this machine is magical. Wear it one night and the next day you bound out of bed and run a marathon, you're this pleasant bundle of energy. I guess even I expected more from it.
I know the CPAP is working a little but right now for example, I've been awake for an hour and I'm tired. I need to go back to sleep but I have work in a bit. I'm due back at my doctor in a few days and we'll see what adjustments can be made to the machine to make it better.

Just looked at my data. no wonder...

[Image: screenshot-20150424-042026.png]

mask leak aside, it was a bad night.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
what did your sleep study show? if you don't have the full report including data points, get it. Starting at pressure 5 is pretty low but I don't know what your sleep study showed as the optimal pressure. Check with your doctor FIRST, but, maybe something like somnapure to help you sleep until you can get this all figured out might help you but check with your doctor first, especially if you are on other medication
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like 10 is not enough pressure for you to control your apnea... You are maxing out at 10, holding there, and still getting a bunch of obstructions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, you have your EPR cranked up to 3 so your effective minimum pressure is 4, and even when you hit the maximum pressure of 10, your real pressures are 7/10. This has left you with abundant clusters of apnea. The solution is to increase minimum pressure to at least 8 and start allowing maximum pressure to rise to where it needs to be to treat your problem of a collapsing airway. The thought here is perhaps 8/14 for a pressure range with EPR on 3 if that is comfortable for you.

I think your outlook could improve if you weren't strangling at night.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
AlanE,
Are you able to post a pressure graph? I see a mask pressure and AHI graph. It would be good to see on the pressure graph how often your pressure is staying at 10.
Just taking a guess though, I don't see that a max setting of 10 if high enough, plus the starting pressure is too low.
Print out your chart and take with you to your doctor appt. If he doesn't want to change your pressure, then we can guide you here. Right now, with what we have to look at, you should be somewhere in a range of 7 to 14.

Just wanted to add that your wife is probably lashing out at you due to frustration over her own health issues. Your both in a tough position. It will be up to you to watch your data and get your pressure where it needs to be to take care of your apneas. And as far as sleep issues.....when I started, I was sleeping 9 to 10 hours and felt guilty about it, but after 6 months, I am waking up after 7-8 hours.
I know most of us are impatient, but it does even out after a bit.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 184 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Struggling with the whole thing Billyaustin 1 372 07-23-2023, 11:20 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Does this thing work? enjoysleep59 7 2,104 04-06-2023, 12:51 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  How effective is APAP if left to do it's thing? chris94546 4 612 03-16-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: chris94546
  Is Combination Therapy PAP and Implantable Stimulation at same time a thing? kpmccue 0 434 03-31-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: kpmccue
  DME's yearly reminder (good thing I didn't have a mouth of coffee) elwoodpdowd 9 1,827 09-17-2019, 12:50 PM
Last Post: DanGagner
  I can't tell when there is pressure - good thing razormarsh 4 1,048 08-21-2019, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.