Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

So long P10, and thanks for all the fish...
So long P10, and thanks for all the fish...
I gave up a couple days ago. Some of you remember that I had been trying to beat my mouth breathing into submission so I could use my P10 Pillows. Well, after all the other methods failed I had managed to get some tape that had strong adhesive on it, and thought I had finally found the solution - I would tape my mouth shut. Sadly, my mouth was not to be denied it's god given right to participate in my breathing. After a few days of seeming to work perfectly, I started having minor leaks, which grew a little more each day, until I was back to major mouth breathing leaks.

Two bad things, one was the glue was very hard on the face skin when removing the tape, irritation was getting bad. And second, if the application was less than perfect the air would find a tiny wrinkle and push on it all night until finally it would open the wrinkle enough to run free!

So, I am back to a F10 and trying to solve the problems with it when I toss and turn and bump into the pillow etc. I purchased the RemZzzz's liners and I am currently trying them.

So far the liners are not a solution, but a big help. The leaks are smaller and maybe much more importantly much quieter. In fact I managed to sleep for 7 hours last night, which may be the first time I slept all night since starting with therapy.

The Journey continues.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: So long P10, and thanks for all the fish...
Frank,

I'm sorry that the P10 didn't work for you.

Sleeping for 7 hours last night sounds like a good thing, though. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree, it is too bad the P10's didn't work out, but you have to do what works best. Good luck getting the right mask.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='FrankNichols' pid='162557' dateline='1463653191']
I gave up a couple days ago. Some of you remember that I had been trying to beat my mouth breathing

Hi Frank
Your story sounds like mine. Mouth breathing a real problem. I am using the P10 pillows also.
I too, tried the tape across the mouth (various types of tape - one almost took my lips off) and finally settled on an ordinary electrical insulating tape (3 strips about 20mm wide over lapping each other) which gave a reasonable balance between having enough adhesion to work, and not too aggravating on the skin. Most nights the little crease graduated into a leak as you described. I persevered for a while then tried sleeping without the tape.
What I am finding is that I am "learning" to close my throat (tongue in top of mouth etc each time the mouth breathing wakes you). I haven't completely got there yet but I believe I am getting better at NOT mouth breathing.
I'd just like to encourage you to not give up entirely, but perhaps for a short time.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is just an observation. It seems that each of us has a "sweet spot" on pressure. Any higher pressure and our mouth acts as a relief valve. If your mouth breathing is waking you, you might cycle the on/off switch on the CPAP to record a break in the data. When you review your data you'll see the break and will be able to see the pressure that was being applied when this arousal occurred. If you're sleeping through the mouth breathing, then the only thing I can think of is to go to straight CPAP and increase the pressure each night until you find the maximum tolerable pressure.

Again, not everybody is cut out for a particular mask design. . . That's why there are so many out there. (I figured this out on my own!)

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2016, 09:09 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: This is just an observation. It seems that each of us has a "sweet spot" on pressure. Any higher pressure and our mouth acts as a relief valve. If your mouth breathing is waking you, you might cycle the on/off switch on the CPAP to record a break in the data. When you review your data you'll see the break and will be able to see the pressure that was being applied when this arousal occurred. If you're sleeping through the mouth breathing, then the only thing I can think of is to go to straight CPAP and increase the pressure each night until you find the maximum tolerable pressure.

and, what do you do if that pressure is less than what's needed to prevent apneas?
Post Reply Post Reply
Devise a plan "B" if that happens.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2016, 09:29 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Devise a plan "B" if that happens.

Question; can mouth falling open be recorded by the Resmed 10 autoset as an "event"? As my daily records sometimes say I have like say 0.4/1 "events" during sleep
I enjoy being with a group who like to share their "Hosehead" experiences, to remind me I am not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Luvmyzzz,
Good question! The only thing that I can think of is for it to show up in the Leak Rate chart. (pause) Looking back at my data seems to indicate that the mask type will play into the reporting of this. Using a nasal pillow, mouth breathing shows up as a major leak and is flagged as such. A similar event when using a FFM shows up only as a spike and isn't flagged. I would be interested if others see the same trait with this.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
My problem is I don't wake when my mouth opens - most of the time. So, I can't take any actions. I do see the large leak event in SH, and when I tape my mouth shut, I see no large leak events. When I use my F10, I see few or no large leak events. So, I am 90% certain my mouth is opening and screwing things up for me.

I have a six month supply of P10 pillows, so I will be trying it again later. For now I am going to try to get my F10 to submit to me and get my leaks, burps, buzzes, and whistling under control.

My AHI is creeping down slowly and is around 6 now... so, I am going to work on the full face mask and getting everything stabilized, then I will fiddle with the P10 and trying to teach myself to keep my big fat mouth shut. I am considering paying my wife to sit up at night and poke me when I open my mouth.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 560 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 216 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 616 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,814 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
  50 second long central apnea esaulcatnas 6 678 09-04-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  After a long time I'm back. Had a night again with low 80% dip oxygen level MyronH 0 449 08-05-2023, 08:10 PM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.