Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

So long P10, and thanks for all the fish...
RE: So long P10, and thanks for all the fish...
(05-19-2016, 10:14 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Luvmyzzz,
Good question! The only thing that I can think of is for it to show up in the Leak Rate chart. (pause) Looking back at my data seems to indicate that the mask type will play into the reporting of this. Using a nasal pillow, mouth breathing shows up as a major leak and is flagged as such. A similar event when using a FFM shows up only as a spike and isn't flagged. I would be interested if others see the same trait with this.

Thanks Crimson Nape, OK, well... I have been getting "Good mask seal" 20/20
from MyAir, haven't check against SleepyHead though... will do that this PM...
but I appreciate your thoughts! Smile
Have a great day Sleep-well
I enjoy being with a group who like to share their "Hosehead" experiences, to remind me I am not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Frank--Here's an idea that may be of interest. Although I haven't tried it with a FFM, I can't think of why it wouldn't work. I use it with a total face mask (FitLife) and it does the trick for me. I heard about it from another board member a few years ago. It's a silicone seal made from silicone ear plug material available at a drug store. The stuff is packaged in round blobs inside a plastic case. Using only heat from hands, the blobs are formed into a single, pencil like roll that's long enough to cover the mask's sealing edge. Gentle pressure will get it to adhere to the mask seal. For me and at least a couple other users, this approach has done a good job of stopping sealing type leaks.

David
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2016, 01:35 PM)Dawei Wrote: Frank--Here's an idea that may be of interest. Although I haven't tried it with a FFM, I can't think of why it wouldn't work. I use it with a total face mask (FitLife) and it does the trick for me. I heard about it from another board member a few years ago. It's a silicone seal made from silicone ear plug material available at a drug store. The stuff is packaged in round blobs inside a plastic case. Using only heat from hands, the blobs are formed into a single, pencil like roll that's long enough to cover the mask's sealing edge. Gentle pressure will get it to adhere to the mask seal. For me and at least a couple other users, this approach has done a good job of stopping sealing type leaks.

David

That sounds like a good idea, thanks for the suggestion! Smile
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Frank, I was Googling around last night can came across a company making gel pads for CPAP masks. Google "CPAP Seal". From a materials science point of view it looks like an interesting substance. I think I might order some to see how they work. It looks like it would be effective and cheaper than the disposable liners over time. Amazon has some reviews.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2016, 11:48 PM)chill Wrote: Frank, I was Googling around last night can came across a company making gel pads for CPAP masks. Google "CPAP Seal". From a materials science point of view it looks like an interesting substance. I think I might order some to see how they work. It looks like it would be effective and cheaper than the disposable liners over time. Amazon has some reviews.

I used something like this a while back. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the product but it was a total crock! Sounded like the answer to a maiden's prayer but ended up as a hideous nightmare. Darn memory - I wish I could remember the name to see if it's the same as your product.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2016, 11:48 PM)chill Wrote: Frank, I was Googling around last night can came across a company making gel pads for CPAP masks. Google "CPAP Seal". From a materials science point of view it looks like an interesting substance. I think I might order some to see how they work. It looks like it would be effective and cheaper than the disposable liners over time. Amazon has some reviews.

I looked at those from one company and for the F10 it was $50 and was recommended to be replaced every two months. So, it is about the same price. Of course they may work better, and they may last longer.

I was thinking about some kind of gasket like device, which the cloth liners act like. It would need to be able to instantly conform to changes to the surface shape (topology) of the face, allow for the mouth to open and close on the side facing the face, and on the other side, stay relatively unchanged during all that so the mask would stay sealed. In addition it would have to stay in place and retain it form whether it is vertical (laying on your side) or horizontal (laying on your back).

So, far the best idea I have come up with is something that is inflatable, soft, flexible and firmly attached to the mask - oh, wait, that is that the cushions are - Smile

I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
The clinic where I check in reads large leaks as mouth open "events"

I got cured of them right off the bat. That micheivous kitty in my avatar sleeps right in front of my face. If I open my mouth with the CPAP going, she thinks I'm hissing at her and gets quite upset.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Frank. I just slept with nasal pillows for the first time last night, and I can see why you went to great lengths to try to use them. Wow, they feel so different on my face compared to the Wisp nasal mask that I had been using!

Did you ever try a nasal mask? I can't remember. I ask because it took me quite a while to fall asleep last night, and while I was lying there I was noticing that something (air pressure?) seemed to be causing my tongue to move forward in my mouth. It never progressed to the point of a leak, but it felt weird.

I had been using the Wisp nasal mask and have just switched to Nuance nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2016, 08:25 AM)green wings Wrote: Hi Frank. I just slept with nasal pillow for the first time last night, and I can see why you went to great lengths to try to use them. Wow, they feel so different on my face compared to the Wisp nasal mask that I had been using!

Yeah, I am sure I will be revisiting the nasal pillows, I really like the P10 a lot. But, right now I need to get some sleep - lol...

I have not tried a nasal mask. I will have to check my insurance (Humana/Medicare) and my DME (Apia) to see how and if I can try one. A this point I have a six month supply of pillows and F10 cushions, I might have to pay if I want to try something else before using up those.

I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 559 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 614 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,809 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
  50 second long central apnea esaulcatnas 6 678 09-04-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  After a long time I'm back. Had a night again with low 80% dip oxygen level MyronH 0 448 08-05-2023, 08:10 PM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.