Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

So many Central Apnea! Treatment emergent?
So many Central Apnea! Treatment emergent?
I've read so much on here!

I am a new CPAP user.  I was lucky and adapted fast and have used my CPAP for 7-8 hours each night for 20 nights now.  Any experience on how long Treatment Emergent Central Apnea might last?  Or maybe this is just regular old fashioned Central Apnea?!

OSCAR identifies 10 - 30 CA events randomly throughout each night and there is always one group of around 5-ish CAs in a 10 minute period like in the attached screen shots.

I don't think these are arousal or RERA events, because they never seem to have increased prior respiratory events.  I don't think they are CSR because I don't see a noticeable waxing / waning flow rate.  I don't see a prior restrictive flow associated with Positional Apnea.  So maybe it's the original Central Apnea?  Then again, I just learned what all those words mean in the past couple of hours!

None of them are flagged as PB / Periodic Breathing, but I'm not sure if my AirSense 11 would even flag that or not. ... Or does OSCAR find and flag that for any source of data?

I use a ResMed AirSense 11 set at 4 - 20 with EPR off and ramp off.  I use a pillows mask and I'm totally comfortable using it (no sensory type issues).

Anyways, if it weren't for the CA events, I would be doing pretty good !

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: So many Central Apnea! Treatment emergent?
Idiopathic central apnea are a pause in breathing for unknown reasons. I agree with your assessment, and your pressures are low. It could be adaptation to CPAP, or maybe this was present before CPAP and you didn't now it. I see some inspiratory flattening that suggest flow limitation, and while it is counter-intuitive, it might be worthwhile to try a slightly higher minimum pressure and add in EPR to see if things are more comfortable, and just observe the effect on the CSA. I don't see typical patterns of hyperventilation or deeper inspiration before the events, in fact there most arise out of exhale. If you're open to trying something a bit different, set minimum pressure to 6.0 and use EPR 1 or 2. I don't expect this to increase apnea, and may be more comfortable. FWIW, this level of CA is not alarming or unusual in new users, and I'm sure your doctor's advise would be to give it more time.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 6 165 03-15-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 11,479 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 224 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 453 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 15 630 03-08-2024, 02:42 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 177 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 52,626 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.