Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

So, you nose breathers, either with assisting devices or not, how good is good?
RE: So, you nose breathers, either with assisting devices or not, how good is good?
(11-08-2019, 11:35 PM)edfreeman Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 09:33 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Tongue Suck Technique:
Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth.  Slowly suck upwards and back.
This places the tongue in a natural position, with the back of tongue sealing the back of the throat so that if you open your mouth/jaw while sleeping, no air will escape.

An adaptive take on this method is in my signature below. Try it for a few weeks and you may get the hang of it with a little time.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: So, you nose breathers, either with assisting devices or not, how good is good?
(11-08-2019, 11:35 PM)edfreeman Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 09:33 PM)OpalRose Wrote: My leak rates are so low, almost non existent with using a P10 nasal pillow mask.  

I also learned early on in my treatment to practice the tongue suck method to keep air from leaking from my mouth, should my jaw fall open at night.  

It’s second nature to me now.  My tongue knows what to do and I rarely mouth breath.  So rare, that I would wake up immediately should that happen.

Tongue Suck Technique:
Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth.  Slowly suck upwards and back.
This places the tongue in a natural position, with the back of tongue sealing the back of the throat so that if you open your mouth/jaw while sleeping, no air will escape.

Yeah, I can do that, just haven’t been very successful while unconscious.  A few % of large leak wouldn’t be so bad, but when the jaw drops for multi-minutes, mouth glued dry-shut from the full flow air escaping, it is a very disruptive awakening.

Collar helps, that “dual band” strap helps, trade off of which discomfort will it be tonight?  

The information from everyone was great, thanks for that.  And Opel, you and others are my nose breathing idols with no/very rare leakage.

This technique does work if you give it some time.  Everyone is different as I was able to adapt quickly.
I can actually talk with my mask on and not have air escape.  

I know the problem for some is that once asleep, the jaw may loosen and drop.  

You can practice this tongue technique during wake hours anytime, anywhere.  No one would know.  Keep at it, and if in a few weeks it doesn’t work, then you at least you know you tried.   Smile

BTW, I give credit to member DariaVader, who posted this technique back in 2014 when I came here.  I thought it sounded silly, but kept at it.  I’m glad I did.

Good luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
While practicing the tongue suck technique, while under pressure from your machine intentionally drop the tongue and put it back. This will help you learn exactly what is happening, it's OK if you need to stop/start the machine to reset. Also try to talk. These are just learning experiences. It took me months, glad I did it. I taped my lips while I was learning.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, it’s not the tip of the tongue that forms the seal; it’s the mid-tongue. The tip of my tongue can be resting between my teeth or even protruding out between my lips a little. I sometimes even practice singing “Mary Had a Little Lamb” (badly) while running Mask Fit.

Even with a collar, I’ll get one or two brief mouth leaks per night. A few nights ago, I forgot to put on my collar. The leaks didn’t get any worse, and I slept better. So, now that I don’t seem to need it anymore, I’m experimenting without it. However, I do position my buckwheat hull pillow carefully to discourage chin tucking. I mostly sleep in my side.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2019, 09:31 PM)ragtopcircus Wrote: For me, it’s not the tip of the tongue that forms the seal; it’s the mid-tongue.

Agreed You're absolutely right; however, it's a good starting point for someone who wants to learn and practice the technique linked to in my signature.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2019, 11:03 PM)Sandyelle Wrote: I love my FFM (F30).   The design makes it easier for my mouth not to fly open during the night.   I no longer need to tape or use a chin strap.   The cushion covers my mouth in a way that makes it difficult to open my mouth.   I love the F30.   My numbers are great and I sleep well.   

Then you must be lucky to have a small mouth as the F30 is just not wide enough for for mouth, they make this mask with different size nasal cushions but on size mouth mask?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,845 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 72 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 148 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 196 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.