So you think you're an expert?
JohnNJ Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet & ResMed Power Station II
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Wisp & ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i & ClimateLine (distilled / fresh daily)
CPAP Pressure: 9.4 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: First night - November 25, 2013

Sex: Male

Angry So you think you're an expert?
I have to say that, aside from a select few people that frequent this forum, there are a lot of people giving advice that have no basis for doing so.

YMMV
01-10-2014 11:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
RonWessels Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS560TS
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ComfortGel Blue
Humidifier: REMstar Heated Tube DS6T
CPAP Pressure: 11 - 20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS50F Pulse Oximeter

RE: So you think you're an expert?
I notice that you do not specify the subject of the advice being given. Which I agree with, since the last clause of your statement is true for most every topic.
01-10-2014 11:43 AM
JohnNJ Offline

Preferred Members-2

(01-10-2014 11:43 AM)RonWessels Wrote:  I notice that you do not specify the subject of the advice being given. Which I agree with, since the last clause of your statement is true for most every topic.

To clarify, I have no problem with people discussing their experiences or relaying the posts of other members but that is not the case, most often, with replies to various questions.

For example - "I have read here that the ResMed S9 Autoset is a better choice than the ResMed S9 Escape because..." is not the same as "Stay away from the Escape. It's a crappy machine. (even though I have never even seen that unit)"
01-10-2014 11:58 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

(01-10-2014 11:58 AM)JohnNJ Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 11:43 AM)RonWessels Wrote:  I notice that you do not specify the subject of the advice being given. Which I agree with, since the last clause of your statement is true for most every topic.

To clarify, I have no problem with people discussing their experiences or relaying the posts of other members but that is not the case, most often, with replies to various questions.

For example - "I have read here that the ResMed S9 Autoset is a better choice than the ResMed S9 Escape because..." is not the same as "Stay away from the Escape. It's a crappy machine. (even though I have never even seen that unit)"

In this example that you just gave, I don't recall anyone saying that the Escape is a crappy machine but I have seen where people say that it is not capable of giving detailed information so the doctor can see how the therapy is working and that it is better to get a machine that will do that. IMHO
01-10-2014 12:12 PM
JohnNJ Offline

Preferred Members-2

(01-10-2014 12:12 PM)me50 Wrote:  In this example that you just gave, I don't recall anyone saying that the Escape is a crappy machine but I have seen where people say that it is not capable of giving detailed information so the doctor can see how the therapy is working and that it is better to get a machine that will do that. IMHO

That was just an example.

One thing I can say is that the people that should not be giving advice, whether correct or not, do not understand why or may not even realize that they should not be giving advice.
01-10-2014 12:24 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PsychoMike Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Varies with mood, ResMed F10 is my primary
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12-17

Other Comments: asthma, cyclist upgraditis, just a little crazy (honest :D )

John, I do agree that opinion comes into play here...pretty much on any forum whether apnea related or not, for that matter...based on the experience, perceptions, misconceptions and such of the forum users. It's rather unavoidable on a public internet site.

Regarding your particular example...although I agree it could be worded better / explained better (i.e. "the Escape considered an inferior unit as it does not capture much data: it gathers compliance info, which is good for insurance, but doesn't keep the other data that can actually help with an individual's therapy, which is something that the Autoset does"), most folks aren't willing to write a paragraph over and over again as the "which machine is best" / "what machine should I get" type questions pop up ad nauseum . "Best" is subjective and requests for opinions get just that: a subjective or opinionated response (like "the Elite is crap"). If you've got an Elite, it may not be what you want to hear (esp. as you are trusting it to help you breathe), but without the follow up of "why do you think that?" the "crap" comment will sit as is.
01-10-2014 12:26 PM
PsychoMike Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Varies with mood, ResMed F10 is my primary
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12-17

Other Comments: asthma, cyclist upgraditis, just a little crazy (honest :D )

(01-10-2014 12:24 PM)JohnNJ Wrote:  That was just an example.

One thing I can say is that the people that should not be giving advice, whether correct or not, do not understand why or may not even realize that they should not be giving advice.

Understandable....and the reason why some folks here post disclaimers in their signatures akin to "I'm not a doctor...if you want medical advice, go see one"

But it doesn't matter what you're looking for, on the internet (just like Grandma), someone will always be willing to share their advice...it's up to you whether to take it or get a professional opinion.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 12:31 PM by PsychoMike.)
01-10-2014 12:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

[/quote]

That was just an example.

[/quote]

are you talking about medical advice or general advice based on experiences of members? It would help if we knew what you are specifically speaking about.

Also, sometimes members say they want to do something or ask if they should raise their pressure or make other adjustments and other members try to help them based on what they have learned and based on their experience with OSA. That is what this forum is about......helping other members. We aren't doctors (well most of us aren't) and we are basing our info on what we have learned and experienced.

Honestly, the members here are probably better to share their experiences and knowledge because we all have SA and it isn't the same as book knowledge if this makes sense. We walk the walk of other members here and not all medical personnel/DME personnel have SA and don't know what it is like from experience.

If you are saying some members shouldn't give medical advice, then that is different than a member sharing their knowledge and experiences. IMHO. If you could be more specific about what you mean, it would help a lot and we could respond better b/c right now, we are only able to respond to what we think you are saying based on your post and your example.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 01:02 PM by me50.)
01-10-2014 12:43 PM
JohnNJ Offline

Preferred Members-2

(01-10-2014 12:43 PM)me50 Wrote:  are you talking about medical advice or general advice based on experiences of members? It would help if we knew what you are specifically speaking about.

Being more specific would serve no practical purpose.

Safe to say that the people I'm referring to do not know this is about them.
01-10-2014 02:45 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(01-10-2014 02:45 PM)JohnNJ Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 12:43 PM)me50 Wrote:  are you talking about medical advice or general advice based on experiences of members? It would help if we knew what you are specifically speaking about.

Being more specific would serve no practical purpose.

Safe to say that the people I'm referring to do not know this is about them.

well, I didn't want to know who but asked you if you were talking about medical advice or general advice and maybe an example of what you thought was inappropriate (other than about the escape) and why you feel that way. The forum has great monitors to watch for those things and they are very good about taking care of things that are really inappropriate. I say this because I don't recall seeing anything posted that construed anyone giving advice that they shouldn't have been giving. I was trying to understand what you were saying and to get clarification for those members who may read your post later on. That's all.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 02:57 PM by me50.)
01-10-2014 02:56 PM