Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

RE: So you think you're an expert?
(01-10-2014 11:58 AM)JohnNJ Wrote:  For example - "I have read here that the ResMed S9 Autoset is a better choice than the ResMed S9 Escape because..." is not the same as "Stay away from the Escape. It's a crappy machine. (even though I have never even seen that unit)"
On the money. I have not seen "crappy" as a description, I have used the term useless bricks to describe non-data capable machines.

As for you saying (even though I have never even seen that unit)", check it out - http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Supplier-List - the price difference between S9 Elite which is data capable machine and S9 Escape which is not data capable machine is less than $50

Without data, there is no such thing as a sleep study or diagnoses of sleep apnea, so data capable machine is more or less like having a mini-sleep study at home all night-every night. Enough is enough, IMO these machines should be recalled as defective and manufacturers to stop making such useless machines. There is no other medical equipment equivalent to these bricks ... whats the use of blood sugar or BP monitors without giving you any readings.

Enough of opinions, here is the manufacturers descriptions
System One comparison guides http://www.healthcare.philips.com/asset....-guide.pdf
Fisher and Paykel Icon http://www.fphcare.com.au/sleep-apnea/cpap-devices/f-p-icon/
DeVilbiss IntelliPAP Comparison chart: http://www.devilbisshealthcare.com/produ...ap-devices
ResMed specifications http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_ser...nc=dealers

Conclusion: In US, Insurance pay for the machine by a billing code (E0601) which is the same amount for any model but some (not all) DME maximize their profit by lousy few dollars in giving you the cheaper model ... many people posted about it, here in this forum and elsewhere
01-10-2014 05:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet

(01-10-2014 12:24 PM)JohnNJ Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 12:12 PM)me50 Wrote:  In this example that you just gave, I don't recall anyone saying that the Escape is a crappy machine but I have seen where people say that it is not capable of giving detailed information so the doctor can see how the therapy is working and that it is better to get a machine that will do that. IMHO

That was just an example.

One thing I can say is that the people that should not be giving advice, whether correct or not, do not understand why or may not even realize that they should not be giving advice.
Information contained on this website and forums should not be considered as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a qualified physician before seeking treatment for any medical condition, including Sleep Apnea.
01-10-2014 05:18 PM
JohnNJ Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet & ResMed Power Station II
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Wisp & ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i & ClimateLine (distilled / fresh daily)
CPAP Pressure: 9.4 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: First night - November 25, 2013

zonk:

Thank you for the information. Don't want to sound harsh but you completely missed the point of my original post.
01-10-2014 05:20 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Surly Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: PRS1 60 Series REMstar Auto A-Flex
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Swift FX Nano
Humidifier: PRS1 60 Series Heated Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 14.5 Opti Start - 18 (APAP)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Using latest unstable version of SleepyHead for Mac

(01-10-2014 05:20 PM)JohnNJ Wrote:  zonk:

Thank you for the information. Don't want to sound harsh but you completely missed the point of my original post.

I'm not so sure that Zonk missed your original point, but was rather simply addressing a supportive example given.

Irrespective of whether Zonk has used specific devices, he's provided his reasoning for preferring to recommend some devices over others on this forum.

From memory Zonk is from a non english speaking background (Lebanese?). He communicates his viewpoint pretty darn well for a person for whom English is a second language (IMHO).
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 06:41 PM by Surly.)
01-10-2014 06:39 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

I don,t have to respond to everything, in this instance, I,m only responding to what said in the quote

I came to Apnea Board in the old forum 3 years ago looking for answers to problems was having at the time which is not rocket science, problems to do with leaks and mouth breathing. The advice given to me by total strangers who are not doctors but just happen to walk in the same shoes and understood what I was talking about. Had I not found this forum, more likely I,ll be statistics ... 50% of the people quit using CPAP, for reasons can be simply avoided
01-10-2014 06:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

(01-10-2014 06:39 PM)Surly Wrote:  From memory Zonk is from a non english speaking background (Lebanese?).
Who is been pay attention in the classroom Dielaughing
Yes, I came to Australia some 25 years ago with my English rose and two small children after many years living in London
It seem history repeating itself, now my son going to work in London, I told him, the streets of London not paved with gold, Aussies not going there as used to be. You,re right ... Sydney, God's Country or rather Australia ... Good food and wines to match ... Cheers
Bumper ... new year resolution gone down the drain Smile
01-10-2014 07:17 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

your original post is so vague that we have no idea specifically what your concern is. I agree with zonk and the others. I asked if you were speaking of medical advice or general advice regarding CPAP and OSA issues but you haven't responded. Therefore, we are trying to figure out what your concern is and it is pretty hard to do based on your original post. I can only say at this point, if you have a concern that is important enough to cause you to post, maybe you should contact admin and/or a moderator in a private message.
01-10-2014 07:39 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Never mind, different opinions do happens in the best of families and this family is not any different
We can discuss and debate almost anything in a civil manner as long as the law allows it
Actually just occur to me, even a Maserati with faulty brakes ... is a useless machine
Speaking of discussion, I have a question for you ... whats your reasoning of setting ... CPAP Pressure: 9.4 - 10
Cheers
01-10-2014 08:27 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

Perhaps I am just dense, but I see no real benefit to the OP. People come here seeking information, much of that information sadly is 'opinion'-based, rather than fact-based. I do believe the majority of folks here know that we are not practicing DRs, and are sharing info based on what we have read, learned, or simply have gone through.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
01-11-2014 02:05 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

I decided that I don't understand what the OP is about and that I cannot help the poster with his concerns until the poster gives some clarity to the meaning of his OP. Wish I could have helped.
01-11-2014 03:30 AM