Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines
RE: SoClean 2 for Resmed AirSense 10 Auto
This has come up a couple of times that I saw on the boards in my short time that I have been a member here. Unanimously the consensus was (even from a former microbiologist, Melman if I remember correctly) that this item is a waste of your money. Everyone will be along shortly to tell you to send it back...and I am adding my voice to that camp. All you need is soap and water.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, there is a good chance it will damage the seals in your machine over time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Orionsnet,

I’m sorry to have to tell you that SoClean, in my opinion, will not clean and, therefore, will not effectively kill microorganisms on your equipment. This statement is based on over 20 years of professional experience in sterile pharmaceutical manufacturing. One of my responsibilities was evaluating, developing, and verifying the efficacy of cleaning, sanitizing, and sterilizing agents for production equipment, water systems, and environmental surfaces. (sanitizer and disinfectant are equivalent terms.) My work was regularly audited by the FDA. I also worked for many years in hospitals as a medical microbiologist. Although I'm far from expert with respect to many topics I think I know my way around this one pretty well.

I won’t say there is no scientific evidence that ozone will kill bacteria.  Ozone is an effective sanitizing agent but only on surfaces that are already thoroughly cleaned and only at sufficient concentration.

It is, however, not a cleaner.  It is a strong oxidizer and will damage a variety of materials and any electronics. I don't see anything in the information I have reviewed on SoClean that assures me that some ozone may not flow from the reservoir into the CPAP machine. I'm not saying it will but I wouldn't risk it.

There have been reports on this forum of mask cushions turning yellow after exposure to Soclean.

There is a lot of misunderstanding with respect to risk of infection from CPAP equipment and use of sanitizing agents. Regular cleaning with mild detergent should be adequate to eliminate risk of infection from CPAP equipment. The small numbers of bacteria that remain after cleaning with a mild detergent are probably lower than in the room air you breath or on the dishes in your cupboard.

The SoClean promotional material claims that a single cleaning of the reservoir, tubing, and mask before initial use of SoClean is all that is required and that from that point on the SoClean process will maintain cleanliness as well as sanitize. As stated above, ozone is not a cleaner. So any contamination that gets into your mask and tubing (e.g. saliva) and biofilm which forms on the surfaces of the reservoir (and it will over an extended period of time) will not be removed and will provide a place for bacteria to grow that is protected from the ozone.  

There is an axiom that I used when training technicians and other workers; "you can clean without sterilizing/sanitizing but you cannot sterilize/sanitize without first cleaning". Microorganisms need direct contact with the sanitizing agent to be killed and an extremely thin film (less than you could see) of any material will protect them. This especially true for gases such as ozone. Microorganism under or in debris won't be phased. This is even true for steam sterilization at 250F (121C).

In my opinion the SoClean system is at best ineffectual and at worst may damage your equipment.   Dawn is a lot cheaper and safer.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
People say they love it and it is great as they are worried about germs and this machine gives them peace of mind while actually accomplishing nothing of actual use. IMO, they are not buying a cleaning machine, they are buying a delusion that provides peace of mind.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have seen statements that SoClean has scientific studies to verify that their system works. I just went to there site and reviewed the 2 studies they cite (They only present 2).

One was done to promote the use of sterilizing filters in CPAP equipment and was performed by inoculating humidifier water with high numbers of bacteria and demonstrating that they could be recovered downstream at the mask. It had nothing to do with cleaning or disinfection. Neither ozone nor SoClean were used or mentioned in the study.

The second was a very simple study performed in a German lab that showed SoClean would kill bacteria under ideal lab conditions. It was poorly documented and did not reflect real world conditions. It was not from peer reviewed journal and given the level of documentation I can't imagine it would not have been accepted by one.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the feedback! I will be returning this now and getting my $300.00 back Smile
Hopefully, they will take it even though I used it once.
I'm surprised this company is allowed to sell this item, especially at $300. Pretty lame...

Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Wouldn't you know it, there's no return policy for the SoClean even though that isn't mentioned anywhere when you purchase it from Amazon. Thankfully, I'm a Prime member and customer support credited me back the $300 and said to not even worry about sending it back. I guess my Amazon Prime membership just paid for itself!
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow! That's great Grin I didn't think you had a chance.

I had a similar experience but with something in the $25 range. Accidentally ordered 2 but only wanted one. They gave me a credit and said not to send it back. It may have something to do with how much you buy at Aamzon. We have prime and buy a lot there.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm definitely going to write a review warning people on the product page!
I think what saved both of us is the Prime membership because the 1st and last thing they said (this was all through their online chat support) was "thank you for being a Prime member". I basically buy everything besides my groceries from Amazon so like you said the $/year may of had a part in it as well. Not sure if their support people check that though, it maybe giving them too much credit. Either way, I'm ebay'ing this SoClean 2 haha.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2017, 06:41 PM)Orionsnet Wrote: Either way, I'm ebay'ing this SoClean 2 haha.

So you bought this without checking it out and were fortunate to get a full refund from Amazon so your out nothing. Now your going to take advantage of someone on Ebay who doesn't know  any better and sell a machine you know is a piece of Crap. SadYou said it's pretty lame that the company can sell the machine. What does that make you?   The term hypocrite comes to mind. I know that may seem harsh but think about it. It should go straight to the trash. Huh
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 76 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 222 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,794 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 673 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.