Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

RE: SoClean CPAP Cleaner and Sanitizer
ResMed should know what they,re talking about
You should avoid anything that is not pure and natural. ResMed recommends that you use only natural or pure products/solutions to clean your mask, as the residual vapours that are left behind from non-natural cleaners can be inhaled if not rinsed very thoroughly.

ResMed recommends that you avoid using the products and solutions that are listed below.
Don't use aromatic-based solutions, Eucalyptus oil, essential oils, scented oils
Don't use antibacterial soaps
Don't use detergents (even if they are mild or include some natural ingredients)
Don't use alcohol
Don't use soaps with citrus scents

Antibacterial soaps, among others, may damage your mask and cause cracks, which may lead to skin irritation and poor mask performance. Furthermore, do not iron the headgear as the material is heat-sensitive and will be damaged

As for the SoClean machine, I,m going to study the 'Marijuana thread' before saying anything Too-funny
07-03-2014 07:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

The fact is that it's not that expensive to make and distribute ozone through a hose. If it really did perform as advertised someone else would be in competition and the price would drop.

We see this in products time and again. Outrageous price accompanied by outrageous claim.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-03-2014 07:42 PM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

SoClean CPAP Cleaner and Sanitizer
If you're worried about some form of cleaning damaging your mask, wait until you get a replacement and try it on your old mask.

ResMed says not to dishwash masks, but I've done for years with no obvious damage.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
07-03-2014 07:52 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

(07-03-2014 06:24 PM)Sleepster Wrote:  
(07-03-2014 06:18 PM)Peter_C Wrote:  All my masks have a warning about cleaning them with 'antibacterial' soap - they say *not* to use that anymore...

That's weird. Two and a half years ago when the DME came to my house to set up my first machine that's what he told me to use.

/scratches head - Personally, I would think that antibacterial soap would be the smart thing to do? I was happy for like 5-6 years with Dial (yellow bar) soap - get my hands all soapy and go to town on my parts.

I checked with the boss (my lovely wife - who remembers stuff better than me) - it wasn't in mask paperwork, it was two different RTs that have been to the house for my father in-law's COPD over the years, telling us "oh by the way, using that soap will ruin the seals on the masks faster". So considering the source, do what feels good, eh?

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
07-03-2014 09:44 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

Guess I ought to read all the posts before replying. So confusing some times. I can honestly say that while I do not clean my gear as often as I should, it tends to last me longer than the stated 6-12 months, nor has it ever made me sick. And, I don't do gross either.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
07-03-2014 09:49 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
cant_sleep_in_nj Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S8
Mask Make & Model: mirage quattro
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 14
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Also use a transcend II for travel with a mirage quattro full face mask

IMO, cleaning of all this cpap stuff is way over rated.
07-04-2014 07:07 AM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

The manufacturers are protecting themselves against lawsuits with their over-inflated cleaning schedules.

They also created the over-inflated replacement schedules and pricing schemes they use to line their pockets with money, most of which they collect from people who don't even need or use their equipment.

In this century we've seen already two major financial crises that adversely affected almost every business except for the providers of medical equipment -- they've continued to thrive through it all.

SoClean can only wish for a piece of the pie.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-04-2014 10:18 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

(07-03-2014 07:52 PM)archangle Wrote:  If you're worried about some form of cleaning damaging your mask, wait until you get a replacement and try it on your old mask.

ResMed says not to dishwash masks, but I've done for years with no obvious damage.

Used to toss my Breeze in there every week!

I don't think the Nuance would survive. Heck, it barely survives a hand washing.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

07-04-2014 11:20 AM
mrnight01 Offline

New Members

Machine: resmed s9
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

(07-03-2014 07:23 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Back to the SoClean - it doesn't "clean", it sanitizes (allegedly) by using high doses of ozone. But first, you have to clean it before you put it in.

It is like the "dishwashers" they have at Waffle House. The staff wash the dishes first, stack them into trays much like our dishwashers at home, then put them into this drum like thing that then uses very hot water to "sterilize" the dishes. If egg goo is still on the plate, it is still there when it comes out the other side.

IF you are one of those who is really really against germs, sure, go ahead. Whatever you need to do to be comfortable.

My opinion? Waste of money. I'd rather save that cash and get another set of gear. Or more at that price!

As for the anti-bacterial, it should not be one that contains alcohol. I don't think it is necessary as simple soap is enough to kill pert near anything we'd get on our masks. And no, it wasn't me that uses Dawn. Can't stand the stuff. I use some sort of hand soap we get at Lowe's. Smells like watermelon! Every other week I use a vinegar solution.

As I was researching air cleaners, Ionizers vs HEPA, I found that the Ozone feature on mostshould be used if a person in the house has COPD. And, that the Ionizers also put off some Ozone. I can not remember if I backed that research with what the med community agreed with that or not.

I listened to the paranoid guy on my shoulder and went with the HEPA filter systems. My mind also likes to play games with me.

Just rambling, don't know if any of that helps or if I am even on topic.
07-07-2014 10:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Video So cleaner machine Judy1843 7 366 11-05-2016 06:53 PM
Last Post: johno02
Question [Equipment] SoClean 2 - anyone try this gadget? daddyvortex 12 725 10-24-2016 06:43 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb
  Soclean check valve keeps filling with water wnorm 5 308 10-16-2016 10:29 PM
Last Post: bill-e
  SoClean CPAP cleaning gizmo FormerFed 10 1,135 10-05-2016 03:37 AM
Last Post: archangle
  [Equipment] CPAP Cleaner & Sanitizer JaneAM 7 581 07-08-2016 06:37 AM
Last Post: JaneAM
  Is SoClean2 an effective sanitizer ? Eurika 19 3,411 02-12-2016 01:11 AM
Last Post: Denny
  SoClean arrived, but... Luke Warm 12 7,868 04-20-2014 11:00 AM
Last Post: critterdoc