Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines
RE: SoClean CPAP Cleaner and Sanitizer
To be frankly honest? A rather large portion of us, as time goes by, become more and more lax about the cleaning of our gear (mask, tubing, water tub, machine).

Pop quiz? If your toothbrush is older than 30 days, why would you buy this? If you drink soda out of the can without washing the can yourself first, why would you spend the $$ on this?

After bout 15 years on CPAP, while my water chamber is 'rinsed' nightly, it is not 'cleaned' but every 2-3 months. While I use mask 'wipes' every week or so, I've not 'washed' my mask in months. I am on my third hose in all these years.

Everyone of us is different, and I would politely suggest a better cleaning routine than *I* use, but $300 bucks for a cleaning 'system' would buy a lot of cleaning products. Vinegar is one of my favorites-FYI, followed by a cheap bottle of 'Joy' dish soap. (I like and use Dawn, but read somewhere it was too harsh on today's masks?)
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Once again, this does NOT clean anything as in removing dirt from the equipment. It can't disintegrate dirt.

It may kill germs, but I'm skeptical about how well that really works.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2014, 11:37 AM)Peter_C Wrote: Vinegar is one of my favorites-FYI, followed by a cheap bottle of 'Joy' dish soap. (I like and use Dawn, but read somewhere it was too harsh on today's masks?)

I had not heard that about Dawn and that is all I have been using for several years. Obviously I do not have the length of experience that Peter_C has but I have seen nothing untoward from using Dawn.

I have seen where others on the forum use Dawn too. I think one of them might have been Paula....OOPS I forgot she uses her hammer.
Too-funny

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
As I said, I like and use Dawn - I read 'somewhere' (for my life I can't remember where) that it was too harsh for continued use. I also way back used to use plain yellow Dial bar soap, but then they said the anti -bac (?) whatever would break-down mask seals...shrug

So, now I use simple, cheap, plain "Joy" dish soap. But *I* think Dawn works fine - but as I have spent so much trying and buying masks - I do want them to live a long while...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I look for liquid hand soap that is labeled "antibacterial" and has no indication anywhere that it has any effect on moisturizing your hands. I don't want any moisturizer because it will leave a residue.

Your gear just needs to be clean, it doesn't need to be SoClean. Too-funny
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
All my masks have a warning about cleaning them with 'antibacterial' soap - they say *not* to use that anymore...

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2014, 06:18 PM)Peter_C Wrote: All my masks have a warning about cleaning them with 'antibacterial' soap - they say *not* to use that anymore...

That's weird. Two and a half years ago when the DME came to my house to set up my first machine that's what he told me to use.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Back to the SoClean - it doesn't "clean", it sanitizes (allegedly) by using high doses of ozone. But first, you have to clean it before you put it in.

It is like the "dishwashers" they have at Waffle House. The staff wash the dishes first, stack them into trays much like our dishwashers at home, then put them into this drum like thing that then uses very hot water to "sterilize" the dishes. If egg goo is still on the plate, it is still there when it comes out the other side.

IF you are one of those who is really really against germs, sure, go ahead. Whatever you need to do to be comfortable.

My opinion? Waste of money. I'd rather save that cash and get another set of gear. Or more at that price!

As for the anti-bacterial, it should not be one that contains alcohol. I don't think it is necessary as simple soap is enough to kill pert near anything we'd get on our masks. And no, it wasn't me that uses Dawn. Can't stand the stuff. I use some sort of hand soap we get at Lowe's. Smells like watermelon! Every other week I use a vinegar solution.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed should know what they,re talking about
You should avoid anything that is not pure and natural. ResMed recommends that you use only natural or pure products/solutions to clean your mask, as the residual vapours that are left behind from non-natural cleaners can be inhaled if not rinsed very thoroughly.

ResMed recommends that you avoid using the products and solutions that are listed below.
Don't use aromatic-based solutions, Eucalyptus oil, essential oils, scented oils
Don't use antibacterial soaps
Don't use detergents (even if they are mild or include some natural ingredients)
Don't use alcohol
Don't use soaps with citrus scents

Antibacterial soaps, among others, may damage your mask and cause cracks, which may lead to skin irritation and poor mask performance. Furthermore, do not iron the headgear as the material is heat-sensitive and will be damaged

As for the SoClean machine, I,m going to study the 'Marijuana thread' before saying anything Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
The fact is that it's not that expensive to make and distribute ozone through a hose. If it really did perform as advertised someone else would be in competition and the price would drop.

We see this in products time and again. Outrageous price accompanied by outrageous claim.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 76 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 222 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,795 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 673 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.