Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines
SoClean CPAP Cleaner and Sanitizer
If you're worried about some form of cleaning damaging your mask, wait until you get a replacement and try it on your old mask.

ResMed says not to dishwash masks, but I've done for years with no obvious damage.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SoClean CPAP Cleaner and Sanitizer
(07-03-2014, 06:24 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(07-03-2014, 06:18 PM)Peter_C Wrote: All my masks have a warning about cleaning them with 'antibacterial' soap - they say *not* to use that anymore...

That's weird. Two and a half years ago when the DME came to my house to set up my first machine that's what he told me to use.

/scratches head - Personally, I would think that antibacterial soap would be the smart thing to do? I was happy for like 5-6 years with Dial (yellow bar) soap - get my hands all soapy and go to town on my parts.

I checked with the boss (my lovely wife - who remembers stuff better than me) - it wasn't in mask paperwork, it was two different RTs that have been to the house for my father in-law's COPD over the years, telling us "oh by the way, using that soap will ruin the seals on the masks faster". So considering the source, do what feels good, eh?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Guess I ought to read all the posts before replying. So confusing some times. I can honestly say that while I do not clean my gear as often as I should, it tends to last me longer than the stated 6-12 months, nor has it ever made me sick. And, I don't do gross either.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO, cleaning of all this cpap stuff is way over rated.
Post Reply Post Reply
The manufacturers are protecting themselves against lawsuits with their over-inflated cleaning schedules.

They also created the over-inflated replacement schedules and pricing schemes they use to line their pockets with money, most of which they collect from people who don't even need or use their equipment.

In this century we've seen already two major financial crises that adversely affected almost every business except for the providers of medical equipment -- they've continued to thrive through it all.

SoClean can only wish for a piece of the pie.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2014, 07:52 PM)archangle Wrote: If you're worried about some form of cleaning damaging your mask, wait until you get a replacement and try it on your old mask.

ResMed says not to dishwash masks, but I've done for years with no obvious damage.

Used to toss my Breeze in there every week!

I don't think the Nuance would survive. Heck, it barely survives a hand washing.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2014, 07:23 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Back to the SoClean - it doesn't "clean", it sanitizes (allegedly) by using high doses of ozone. But first, you have to clean it before you put it in.

It is like the "dishwashers" they have at Waffle House. The staff wash the dishes first, stack them into trays much like our dishwashers at home, then put them into this drum like thing that then uses very hot water to "sterilize" the dishes. If egg goo is still on the plate, it is still there when it comes out the other side.

IF you are one of those who is really really against germs, sure, go ahead. Whatever you need to do to be comfortable.

My opinion? Waste of money. I'd rather save that cash and get another set of gear. Or more at that price!

As for the anti-bacterial, it should not be one that contains alcohol. I don't think it is necessary as simple soap is enough to kill pert near anything we'd get on our masks. And no, it wasn't me that uses Dawn. Can't stand the stuff. I use some sort of hand soap we get at Lowe's. Smells like watermelon! Every other week I use a vinegar solution.

As I was researching air cleaners, Ionizers vs HEPA, I found that the Ozone feature on mostshould be used if a person in the house has COPD. And, that the Ionizers also put off some Ozone. I can not remember if I backed that research with what the med community agreed with that or not.

I listened to the paranoid guy on my shoulder and went with the HEPA filter systems. My mind also likes to play games with me.

Just rambling, don't know if any of that helps or if I am even on topic.
Post Reply Post Reply
SoClean CPAP cleaning gizmo
Am curious about SoClean CPAP cleaning machine I heard advertised in a radio commercial today. Anyone use it? Yes, it's worth the investment? No, its crazy science?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SoClean CPAP cleaning gizmo
Basically the consensus around here seems to be that some things are made to be used and some things are made to be sold. This item is for selling.

You can achieve acceptable cleaning with mild soap, warm water and a little labor.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SoClean CPAP cleaning gizmo
I am one of those who has doubted the efficacy of the SoClean. After researching ozone disinfection, I think that part may work but I have other reservations. Ozone is notoriously hard on some plastics. Will this cause a deterioration problem with seals and other critical plastic parts? I do not know but I suspect maybe so. Some people use it and like it but most of us just use soap and water to clean.

My cleaning occurs haphazardly and infrequently and I have not even had a cold for the 5 years that I have been using my bilevel CPAP. I have gotten gout and cancer but I do not think that has had anything to do with my CPAP use.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 76 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,797 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 675 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.