Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

RE: How to clean humidifier tank
(09-03-2012 04:52 PM)britincanada Wrote:  I for one am spending the 170 bucks to buy one and try it out
I don't have the time or patience to spend 5 mins a day and 20mi.ns on a weekend cleaning a machine the auto timer can be set for 2 hr before you go to bed therefor the water will be clean i have no idea what you put in you humidifier

Check with your friend. The ozone treatment doesn't take the place of regular cleaning. It's meant to be something extra, something that will kill the germs that regular washing won't. You will still need to wash in hot soapy water to remove residues (crud) introduced by your body and by the environment. The same thing as bathing, really.

The issue is whether or not the ozone treatment will really be of any advantage. Some claim it will, others disagree.

Personally I think it's overkill because it's at best killing off the germs that are already present in your body and in your environment. They will simply return in the same concentration that you're constantly exposed to as you walk around in even the most sterile of environments.

On the other hand washing with hot soapy water removes the build up of crud that is a breeding ground for those germs to grow. It prevents germs from being present in a concentration that is greater than what you're constantly exposed to throughout the day and night.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-03-2012 07:42 PM
Find all posts by this user

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Quote:I don't have the time or patience to spend 5 mins a day and 20mi.ns on a weekend cleaning a machine the auto timer can be set for 2 hr before you go to bed therefor the water will be clean i have no idea what you put in you humidifier

So is this device you are spending money on, is it a CPAP cleaner or a water cleaner? If it is a water cleaner, you'd get just as clean a water from a distilled water source. But again, that water will only be as clean as the humidifier tub. If it is a CPAP cleaner, you still have to clean it before the ozone gadget will work. I would think clean crud is just as nasty as regular crud.

Quote:thanks for the info guys i will try it out and see how it goes but here some interesting reading for you

Can I Interest You in Some Snake Oil?

Try Archangel's rock. While it may not seem to work now, some day in the future, they may or may not prove that pressure on the head cures or perhaps causes central apnea.

So what you are really saying is you are going to believe whatever you want to believe no matter what anyone else says because you would rather spend $170 on a cleaner that may or may not work rather than do what the rest of us do: use soap. That is of course your choice. Just don't get mad when we try to help you not waste money.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-03-2012 08:00 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

(09-03-2012 08:00 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Just don't get mad when we try to help you not waste money.

You're too late, I think.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

09-03-2012 08:03 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

(09-03-2012 05:52 PM)britincanada Wrote:  thanks for the info guys i will try it out and see how it goes but here some interesting reading for you

Can I Interest You in Some Snake Oil?

In the mid-1800s, a wave of Chinese laborers arrived in the United States, seeking employment in the railroad industry. Among the many unique and unusual aspects of their culture that they brought with them, was the oil of the Chinese Water Snake (Enhydris chinensis). This was used by the Chinese and introduced to the West as a topical preparation for the relief of joint pain. This claim was ridiculed by medicine salesmen of the day, and to this day the term snake oil has become synonymous with quackery, fraud, and products with unverifiable benefits.

Unfortunately, there is no shortage of such questionable health products today. An endless river of them continue to make bold claims, while failing to live up to their promises. Despite this, some innovations have pushed their way forward and have become a true benefit to many people.

Consider one product developed by Colin Sullivan of Sydney, Australia, in 1981. This device was essentially a reversed vacuum cleaner motor rigged to blow air into a person’s nasal cavity, thus allowing the airway to remain open, when relaxed muscle or tissue would otherwise close it. It’s not hard to imagine those who would take issue with such an approach: It was different. It sounded radical, even dangerous. Yet today, millions are enjoying a more full life, due to the advent of the CPAP machine.

As alien as CPAP therapy may have seemed at first, it was backed up by hard science. The dangerous effects of Obstructive Sleep Apnea were well documented. Rigorous testing and monitoring of CPAP therapy showed that such an approach would ultimately save lives. To dismiss CPAP therapy as just a modern form of snake oil would indeed be a serious mistake.

So what distinguishes a legitimate and beneficial concept from one that’s mere quackery? For one thing, the science behind it. While it’s true, that not every mechanism can be explained by science, (For instance, the mechanism behind many of the benefits of aspirin is not fully understood.) yet, when an approach clearly does have science on its side, such evidence should weigh heavily against any skepticism.

It’s easy to be skeptical in today’s world. There are many useless, would-be panaceas, that exist for no other reason than to enrich their creators. This means that healthy skepticism can be a protection for us. When skepticism becomes unhealthy, is when it causes us to close our eyes and shut out the facts, like a court jury that refuses to examine the evidence.

So in the end, it’s really up to us. Keeping ourselves informed, and educated to the best of our ability, while keeping an open mind, will help us weed through the useless, and identify the useful. It could even be that something we once dismissed, will in the end, become something we highly value.

Postscript: Studies of the Chinese Water Snake found the oil of this particular reptile to be high in Omega-3 fatty acids. This being the case, it likely did exactly what it claimed to do: relieve joint pain and inflammation. So, Chinese snake oil is actually not snake oil after all. (Scientific American, November 1, 2007)

Health claims for Omega 3 fatty acids are dubious at best. I don't think there are any medically accepted Omega 3 topical treatments for joint pain even now. God knows what other chemicals were in the original authentic snake oil. Even worse, what chemicals were in the snake oil being sold in the US in the 19th century.

Yes, people may have been suspicious of Sullivan's first CPAP machine. Are you suggesting that we should therefore accept every unproven medical device that comes along? My $500 rock is still available. Don't be close minded until you've tried it.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
09-03-2012 08:53 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

RE: [split] SoClean CPAP Sanitizing Unit
I have split the discussion of the ozone cleaner from the original thread.

I am also closing this thread. If anyone wishes to discuss the cleaner, feel free to start another thread.

This one has degraded somewhat.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

09-03-2012 09:59 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense - Is there data storage on the SD card AND in the unit itself? FormerFed 19 2,517 11-03-2016 03:17 PM
Last Post: PreciousRoy
Question [Equipment] SoClean 2 - anyone try this gadget? daddyvortex 12 736 10-24-2016 06:43 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb
  Soclean check valve keeps filling with water wnorm 5 316 10-16-2016 10:29 PM
Last Post: bill-e
  SoClean CPAP cleaning gizmo FormerFed 10 1,145 10-05-2016 03:37 AM
Last Post: archangle
Gross [Equipment] Unit not working Monty6894 3 376 09-18-2016 06:52 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  GoodKnight unit ramps down, "drops out of warp" jpap 5 313 09-05-2016 06:04 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  Saving & Restoring Card to unit R_W_B 11 443 09-04-2016 06:15 PM
Last Post: R_W_B