Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines
RE: SoClean arrived, but...
@ Paula02 & martinsr00

Thanks for the reply... I slept on this last night and came up with a solution of sorts. I like the idea of ozone doing the job of sanitizing my CPAP items and I plan on installing a cabinet of sorts to keep in my garage where I can place the SoClean. I'll keep the cabinet and the SoClean closed and locked up when I'm not using it and when I take my CPAP gear out there, I'll open the cabinet and fire-up the SoClean and let it do it's job. It might also have the added benefit of keeping a pesky male cardinal out of the garage, who believes another male has invaded his turf, and in the process, he beats himself nearly senseless by pecking at the rear view mirrors on my car. Pardon the pun, but I might be able to kill two birds with one stone (or I should say, OH-ZONE... Smile)

I'll investigate the Control III for use when I travel with my tiny (and amazing) ProBasics ZZZ-PAP.

Thank you.
I have a PhD from M.I.T.
Post hole Digger from Miller Implement & Tractor
Post Reply Post Reply
@martinssr00

I guess "beauty is in the eye (or nostrils/olfactory nerve) of the beholder."
I wish my brain perceived a rain fall or rain forest when I use my CPAP after using the SoClean, but when I do, it reminds me of the aroma of when my golf cart has over-charged and one of the batteries bubbles over, or when I was young and we rode bumper cars at the fair, as they sparked on the metal roof where they got the current to run the cars.

I'll do my best to think of a nice rain next time as I go to sleep. I could sure use a rain out here in the parched part of Texas where I live, "where the deer and the antelope complain - about no rain..."
I have a PhD from M.I.T.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SoClean arrived, but... UPDATE
Yesterday morning I sent an email to SoClean (concerning the "aroma" that permeated my kitchen, dining room and living room) stating "Thanks for sending the photos, but no, I am placing the hose (not the rubber end-piece) in the slot on my machine. Is it possible that the gasket on the lid is defective or a filter? At this point of early ownership, I'm going to have to place the device in my garage and out of the house in order to keep the "aroma" out of our living area.

I've been on the sleepapnea website and find in interesting that one person said his SoClean aroma is like that of a rain storm... I wish that were the case for me."

Previously in my two earlier inquiries to SoClean, I received very prompt replies. On this last communication, nothing. I suspect they have a "social media director" who monitors the internet and when they came across my comments here on this forum, they didn't like my "stinks to high heaven" comment and decided to ignore me. (I've worked in public relations for a multi-billion dollar corporation, and ignoring a customer in this fashion will only backfire and breed discontent. Businesses need to example themselves after Amazon and Zappos if they wish to have a loyal following. In this case, SoClean dropped the ball, prompting me to go back to Amazon and request a return.

In reading all the glowing reviews on Amazon about this product, and in seeing several users here on this forum (one poster suggesting his experience smelled like a "rain storm") one can only surmise that I should have had a "rain storm" olfactory cue, similar to what I read here and on Amazon... But my experience was more of an aroma that smelled like a golf cart battery boiling over during a charge or the bumper car experience I recalled from my youth when the car was sparking at the ceiling of the ride as it absorbed current to run the electric motor in the bumper car.

Since the "aroma" was nothing like that that other people had experienced, I could only conclude that my product was defective, and thus with no reply from SoClean yesterday, I am sending this device back for a refund.

Also, in looking at all the comments I have come across in regard to those of us who desire a way to have a little extra sanitation for our CPAP equipment (my immune system is compromised due to MS, and I have this "baggage" I lug around from two tours in an unsanitary jungle experience I had in Vietnam) I wanted to go the extra mile and "nuke" every germ and bacteria and virus I could.

I appreciate the tip I was given yesterday about the Control III disinfectant, and I purchased that along with a CPAP tube brush (from Amazon) and I'm confident these products will give me the peace of mind (and sanitation) that I am aiming for.

Oh, time to go wallow through a mess of goat and donkey dung so I can feed my chickens... (My favorite hen in the coop is one I named Chicky Gaga... I'd tell you the name of my second favorite hen, but I'm confident if I posted her name here, I'd be banned from this forum.

OK, ok... her name is Mother Clucker and she is a great egg layer.
I love my chickens... but I hate Sal Ma Nella.
I have a PhD from M.I.T.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2014, 01:49 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I'm of the "don't waste your money" camp. BUT, you need to do what you need to do to feel comfortable.

Instead of the SoClean, have you considered the cleaner (it's a bottled product, not a machine) called Control III? It is what hospitals and others use to clean equipment. Used correctly, nothing gets by that stuff.

I can well understand the "don't waste your money" camp. It's a matter of the risks that one is willing to take. If one is confident that they have a robust immune system, and they don't tend to catch any respiratory infections at all, then experience may prove that disinfection efforts are a waste of money.

I use Control III once a week during deep cleaning. Daily, I rinse my hoses with tap water, dry them with forced air, wash the humidifier tanks daily with soap and tap water, rinse them, fill them with R/O water, and then disinfect with ozone to destruct almost all organic things present. It's a bit of a hassle, but I'm getting the procedure down pat and it doesn't take very long (20 minutes?). Maybe overkill, but if I end up with an infection, I've done all that I can to avoid it. In addition, I uses Respironics ultrafine filters on my air intake to make sure that incoming air is as particle free as possible.

These forums are filled CPAP veterans who clean their equipment only lightly and have had no problems for years. I wish I knew with certainty that I could be one of them.

Experience is a good teacher. But I don't have very much of it with me as the patient. Only about 8 months. Lacking such, a bad lung infection with some bacteria, protozoan or spore of some kind terrifies me. That's just me.

The debate is interesting, and it's nice to hear all these diverse opinions.

Post Reply Post Reply
Is it an ozone smell? Do you know what ozone smells like? You smell ozone when there is an electic arc somewhere.

It's sort of a sour, pungent, acid, type smell.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2014, 12:23 AM)archangle Wrote: It's sort of a sour, pungent, acid, type smell.

Exactly, and that is what was in the content of the email I sent to them. I found the "aroma" to be objectionable. And oddly enough, some people suggest the "aroma" (and I use that word to describe donkey dung here on my ranch also) people have stated it reminds them of a rain storm.

It reminded me of when batteries over charged in my golf cart, so back it went to the vendor.
I have a PhD from M.I.T.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey man, I Just bought bought the SoClean 2 from Easy Breathe..

I tried putting a link to them in but it wont let me so its [link removed]
I don't buy my stuff from Amazon anymore cuz they aren't certified distributors, therefore you're not guaranteed to know where it's coming from. I use amazon for shoes and electronics mainly now. I paid $279.99, but now they raised their price 15 bucks but they always offer a 10 percent discount. I have one that I've used twice: Sleep2nite10

HAve you had any success with it lately?

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2014, 10:22 PM)Luke Warm Wrote: I'd like to add (after reading some historical posts on cleaning a CPAP with an ozone device) that, yes - I agree that our society has gone a tad "north" on sanitation. I'm one of those kids who played in dirt, skinned my knees on concrete, cut my shins on fence wire, nicked my arms and head when falling off a skateboard onto asphalt streets, driveways and filthy sidewalks... however now that I am an old codger, I've had three doctors tell me that my immune system is compromised due to injections and drugs I am taking daily that suppress my immune system (I have multiple sclerosis). I was told to keep hand sanitizer in my pocket and to use it often.

#2, Some guys came back from the Vietnam war with something called "shell-shock", I came back from Nam with a phobia about germs. Living in a jungle as I did, not seeing a real shower for weeks, not being able to take off your boots or clothes in that moist and humid environment, I had "conditions" and "issues" I won't mention here on the forum, and thus, for me, ridding my CPAP of germs and virus and bacteria, is a tad more important for me, than when I was a kid who played in mud, and climbed trees and skinned his legs on more than one occasion...

So while "yes" I agree that it seems like we are going to extremes to ward-off germs, for some of us, it is pretty critical (and "mental") My Internist advised, if I caught the flu, with a compromised immune system, I could die. So, an ozone device looked pretty good to me a couple of weeks ago. It just stinks to high-heaven.

First and foremost, thank you for your service, soldier! SHa_clap2

Control III is one of several effective and convenient chemically related Benzalkonium Chloride based liquid disinfectants which can generally soak'em 'n smoke'em in a relatively short period of time. My favorite cold disinfectant for the better part of of 46 years of busting microbes in my practice has been Benz-All [(broken) link removed by moderator] by Xttrium Laboratories. I see no reason why a small volume of the properly dilited concentrate could not be sprayed on if you do not want to submerge parts. Soak for 15 minutes, rinse, and dry and I'd think you would be good to go. I've never been aware that I damaged or degraded rubber or plastic parts. Give Xttrium a call if you have any questions about limitations of use or safety for yourself. I've never breathed through any device that had been soaked in it but I've surely come into contact with it often over the years with no notable untoward side effect that I'm aware of. I've never seen diluted Benz-All damage an array of plastic disinfecting instrument trays which have been used for that purpose for years. Benz-all should be discarded after several weeks after being diluted while the concentrate has no expiration date, but I'm unclear on why discarding a sprayed on solution would be necessary every two weeks if the container was/is not contaminated.

Might also be a good idea to put in a call for your doc to get his/her opinion of Benzalkonium Chloride such as Benz-All or Control-III and whether or not there is a down side for you as an individual. Looking back to the bush in a positive light, perhaps that hard earned respect for "germs" is paying dividends per your current immunological compromise.

Amazon offers a box of fifteen 40cc units of Benz-All concentrate that makes up to a total of 15 diluted gallons for $45.00 at your door, for a working cost of approximately $3/gallon, $0.38/pint. $0.18/half-pint (1cup). I think we're only talking about 2.5 cc Benz-All in one cup of H2O.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
SoClean CPAP Cleaner and Sanitizer
Hello All,
Two months on my machine and all is going well. Readings are consistently below 1 episode per hour.

Question: does anyone have knowledge or experience with SoClean 2 CPAP Cleaner and Sanitizer Machine? Wonder if it is worth purchasing? What stops me is their last caution that routine washing of tube, mask, etc is still recommended. Can a ResMed P10 Nasal Pillow head gear go in the machine?
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SoClean CPAP Cleaner and Sanitizer
Do a search on Apnea Board for SoClean. I would post links to the threads but there are too many of them.

It's been debated endlessly and without a definitive conclusion.

My conclusion, personally, is that it makes you $300 poorer.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 73 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 220 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,790 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 342 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 672 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.