Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Doctor ordered a CPAP sleep study
RE: Doctor ordered a CPAP sleep study
I'm not really sure when it's appropriate to start a new thread but I'll start here and see if it works. I'm still trying to understand what these graphs mean. 

I had one rare night where I had an AHI of zero and my flow rate graph looked pretty smooth, without a lot of spikes.

But most nights, regardless of my AHI, the graph looks pretty spikey. Here's the overview of last night, which I think was a pretty good night as it goes:

The question I have is, looking at a zoomed in, roughly 10 minute portion of the night, do these spikes likely represent RERAs and likely arousals? Or is it possible to know what they mean at all?

Even if they are micro-arousals, it seems like quite a lot for a short period of time. Am I looking at this right?

As always, I really appreciate all of the support I get from this forum. I can't imagine figuring all of this out on my own.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Doctor ordered a CPAP sleep study
Periodic breath spikes can be caused by several things, with the most common being periodic leg movements, hypnic jerks and recovery breaths from flow limits. The presence of spikes above and below the normal flow rate is very common and is visible to some degree in all charts, so it may also be considered "normal" and not indicative of anything. The close up shows a lot of jagged tops and downward sloping inspiration peaks that indicate flow limitation, and this would probably show more clearly in a closer 3-4 minute zoom. I think we have consistently seen this in your results. The "spikes" are probably a recovery breath that may or may not be accompanied by arousal. I see similar spikes in my own results and don't think about it too much. I think if you look at other therapy threads on the forum, you might find this is a pretty common feature of flow rate graphs and goes farther into the "rabbit hole" than we really need to obtain good therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 79 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 190 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,732 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 162 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.