Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines
RE: So clean
I believe plain dish soap and water are all that's needed to keep your PAP cleaned. SoClean is an extra expense cleaning machine that is not required. As was mentioned, its use may void the PAP machine's warranty.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2020, 11:11 PM)Ktulu5757 Wrote: Thank you for the info, I'm pretty new to the CPAP. I am reading different things good and bad about using So Clean and I don't know if I made the right choice buying it. Can I ask, in your personal opinion should a product like so clean not be used on a CPAP? I have only had it for a few days now and I was thinking about returning it due to so many negative comments I have read about using one. Thank you in advance.

People are trying to be polite. This product is unloved, unnecessary, and could damage your CPAP machine.

Return it while you still can.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for the response. I will be returning this so clean while I still can. This is a great Forum I'm really glad I found it! Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
Wait, I used a So Clean for years every day with no damage to my cpap machines. This topic always evokes a large visceral response for some reason. All of the folks railing against the machine never owned or used one, so take that into account.

there's some concern about ozone damaging the innards of a machine; again, never happened with mine.

My So Clean died finally after more than fifteen years daily use. I ended up replacing it with something called a Respify unit. You don't have to run ozone through your cpap machine if you don';t want to with this. Rather, you place your tube and humidifier in a bag with the small Respify unit and leave them for 90 minutes. The unit produces ozone like the So Clean. I place the bag in my bathroom with open windows; ozone pollution in my apt. is not a problem (nor was it with the So Clean. Many here will claim all sorts of things about this as well.)

the Respify unit is much cheaper than the So Clean, but has a little more fiddle factor.

I wash my mask with soap and water, but you can include that in the Respify bag if you like. The hose is the hardest part for me to clean, so that's why I like the Respify.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can still return it......do so! 

This forum enlightened me when I was considering purchasing one. I'm so glad that I checked here first.  like
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, it's true that one doesn't NEED a So Clean type machine to cleanse the various parts of your equipment. I just find it much easier and more reliable to use the Respify, because washing all of those parts tends to get overlooked when I'm busy or having fun.

Ktulu may want to check out the Amazon customer reviews or other reviews as well as part of his or her due diligence.
Post Reply Post Reply
The FDA has answered all questions about the use and safety of CPAP cleaners:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-an...one-gas-or

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/safe...chines-and

About as clear an answer that anyone can get about anything from the FDA.
Post Reply Post Reply
The bottom line is...
Even if you decide to keep and use the SoClean, you still need to wash your equipment with soap and water before you sanitize it!
SoClean does not clean anything, it is a sanitizer that uses ozone. Even their instruction manual says to wash the equipment first following the manufacturers recommendations.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The equipment that requires cleaning is the face mask assembly, the water reservoir, the hose swivel, and the hose itself.

The hose requires the most effort. I clean it about every 2 weeks or so. Everything else gets cleaned on a more frequent schedule. 

For me, knowing that I cleaned it all by hand myself, is reassuring. Not only is it cleaned literally, it's also sanitized.
Post Reply Post Reply
there's a long thread on this forum about possible mold growth in the elbow of the F30 mask. Frankly, I think my Respify unit may better at addressing this than wet cleaning.

A warm, moist environment encourages the growth of mold and other things. A warm humidifier paired with a hose seems likely to encourage such growth. Think of your shower.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,834 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 189 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  csa machines cexer 1 142 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 250 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,921 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 212 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 421 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.