Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines
RE: SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines
Thanks for your reply - very reasonable comments Smile
I am so sorry I should’ve mentioned also I have an autoimmune problem that means I am very susceptible to infection - this is why I have to go to such lengths to keep the innards of my house environment and machine clean (A40 - it’s the model before Dreamstation-like machine..big colour display on top, and looks like an obese 60 series with battery module on the opposite side to humidifier). 
I get quite sick with exposure to a build up of the pathogens that don’t usually impact on humans. I’ve been living in isolation since before covid came to Au (using masks, gloves, sanitiser, etc, way before it was the height of fashion) Wink
I have to live alone to minimise exposure, and I have unique routines around all the things necessary that people usually do without a second thought, like obtaining food, services, and medical appointments…there’s a whole routine I’ve needed to figure out for each trip outside the house to minimise or eliminate contact, to reduce exposure risk (not only to any forms of covid, but other ‘regular’ pathogens or what wouldn’t usually cause serious harm to people). 
When covid came and all the home delivery was shut down for a time in Au, for instance, I couldn’t get food for over 6 weeks (unable to leave the house), so I live a little prepper-like, just to ensure I can make it through times like that (if they happen). 
I use distilled water from sealed flexible drums that I do not open besides from the tap, that crumple as I empty them, and I clean the tap with alcohol before and after use…this mostly keeps it clean inside for the most part. 
Side note: food is a big thing..I haven’t eaten anything I didn’t make from scratch for years due to food-borne risks that usually wouldn’t be a problem (and everything coming in the door gets cleaned), so I guess it’s nice getting to eat home-made stuff every day Smile
I guess it’s a bit of a weird existence, and after years it’s normal for me, however I do understand- especially after reading your comments - how strange it might be, as to be honest I’ve kind of forgotten how life used to be ‘on the outside’ Smile
I do most things myself, including basic service and lube/oil changes in engine (and gearbox/diff when needed) for my car myself, to limit exposure (but when I’m not well, that’s a different story). 
I’m sorry again I didn’t mention in there that I have immune issues; I just forget about it most of the time nowadays. 
However I do appreciate what you’ve said, especially considering that not everyone need to take such precautions as I do Smile
My thought behind my comment was only to illustrate a different side of things - and that anyone can feel free to pick and choose if anything in there is helpful for them Smile
And yes, the bacterial filter only removes the solid foam particulate that is broken off and fed down the tube, I’m definitely breathing the VOC’s as it gives a feeling of illness over and above immune issues. I’m still waiting on Philips - despite trying repeatedly (without success) to request they send a replacement for both of my A40’s (I have one in the car at all times these days, to use as needed).
Post Reply Post Reply
I was sorry to read the full story of your medical condition. To be immunocompromised and suffer from bronchiectasis definitely puts you at severe risk for infection. I apologize for assuming you just took extreme measures to avoid infection from CPAP use and lived the rest of your life without similar precautions.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you…that’s a really kind and very understanding comment and I really appreciate it Smile
I’ve just gotten used to it, I guess - I’ll try to remember to be more clear in future…thanks again.
And I should’ve clarified above in my comment that Philips have said my machine replacements have been sent - however this was some weeks ago, so I am trying to get in touch, alas no luck just yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Melman -- thanks for your informative posts-- and kudos for your very respectful tone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ozone Cleaning Device question
I think I have the rules right.  Since this is a question about a product associated with CPAP that has no review, and not a review itself, it belongs on this, the Main Forum.  Please excuse me if this written question/concern is in the wrong forum.

I have read the Apnea Board recommendation for ozone CPAP cleaning machines updated recently.  I see they are not advised by Apnea Board.  I would like to know forum member's experiences with the devices.

After many years of CPAP therapy, I have become concerned about bacteria in my current less than year old machine and gear.  I do not want to run ozone through the machine to disinfectant it since I am afraid it would cause damage, but I would like to clean the hose and mask with if ozone does not damage them.  

I understand ozone is toxic to breathe.  By rotating gear, I would let the mask and tube air for a couple of days to dissipate the toxic gas after a cleaning session.  I plan to not use ozone daily but maybe once a week.  I clean my masks daily and replace them each month.  I change the hose every six months.  I find hose cleaning problematic and my mask cleaning possibly not effective.  If I could dry clean them in an air bath of ozone without breathing residual ozone, or damaging the hose and the mask, I would buy an ozone cleaning device.

Now still available years after their inception, what is the current opinions on these devices?  Has anyone had success with one?  

Thank you for your attention.
I only give suggestions from experience as a fellow CPAP user, not professional advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ozone Cleaning Device question
(08-01-2023, 10:08 AM)ejbpesca Wrote: I do not want to run ozone through the machine to disinfectant it since I am afraid it would cause damage, but I would like to clean the hose and mask with if ozone does not damage them.  

You can't clean with ozone. You have to clean with soap and water. Ozone is a disinfectant.

You don't need the disinfecting power of ozone for CPAP therapy. As long as you clean with soap and water you are in perfectly good shape. This is the advice given to us by the microbiologists.

If you insist on using it for your hose and mask I wouldn't worry about hurting them. The manufacturer recommends replacing them every three months anyway.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh gosh, I forgot to mention that I have that concept down too.  No clean, just disinfect.  Got it.  Thanks.
I only give suggestions from experience as a fellow CPAP user, not professional advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is great to read and what I was looking for, experience with a So Clean or other ozone generator.    Thank you for the post.
Post Reply Post Reply
"I've always run the ozone throughout the whole system, end to end, since the first day.  It goes into the water tank, through the machine, then the hose and finally the mask, which is inside the SoClean chamber."

When you wrote whole system, do you mean the ozone gas runs through the CPAP machine too?  I had thought this may do damage to internal components of the device.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2023, 10:05 AM)ejbpesca Wrote: When you wrote whole system, do you mean the ozone gas runs through the CPAP machine too?  I had thought this may do damage to internal components of the device.

Yes, it's end-to-end through the machine, hose and mask, then back to the SoClean.  My SoClean2 has been doing daily 10-minute cycles for five years and two weeks and everything is still working fine despite the scare stories. 

I'm dubious about the new SoClean model as they seem to be trying to prevent users from refreshing the charcoal filters on our own with cut-to-size blocks instead of paying for grossly-overpriced factory units, so I hope mine stays on the job.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 76 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 172 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,797 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 345 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 678 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.